Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Beware of Lee.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    sjd78
    Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 243

    Seriously if one has to hop on one foot while spraying wd-40 and simultaneously using an impact just to take apart a Lee die, I'll pay the extra ten bucks and get RCBS or Hornady.

    Comment

    • #17
      meaty-btz
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 8980

      Go green. Last time I was in there they offered to take back in my single stage press and completely refurb it for free.. my press was sold in the 70s. I might take them up on it soon. My press is a bit dirty and could use some love. Customer Service is critical. RCBS stands by their products, even decades old products.
      ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

      Comment

      • #18
        Flyin Brian
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Oct 2009
        • 3395

        I've had to return a few things to Lee when I was buying their stuff, always had a good experience with them but I wanted some higher end dies than what they sell.

        I now have Dillon, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and some Lee still. A few months ago I replaced my 7.62X54r dies with RCBS and found every case I FL sized had ridges all around the neck (not the shoulder) like a Ruffles potato chip. Evidently this die had not been polished inside.

        I emailed RCBS and explained the problem. They told me to mail it to them with $5 and they will polish it for me. That wasn't the "excellent customer service" I was expecting.
        NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

        I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

        Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
        I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

        Comment

        • #19
          cc56
          Senior Member
          • May 2006
          • 746

          I have a lee loader, just got it. I put on the universal decapping die and within about 100 rounds had bent the pin on 223 cases (non military rounds). I sent lee an e-mail and they wanted the pin back or a picture. I assume they are going to mail me a new one. I thought if there was too much force the pin was supposed to pop out.....

          Comment

          • #20
            meaty-btz
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2010
            • 8980

            Originally posted by Flyin Brian
            I've had to return a few things to Lee when I was buying their stuff, always had a good experience with them but I wanted some higher end dies than what they sell.

            I now have Dillon, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and some Lee still. A few months ago I replaced my 7.62X54r dies with RCBS and found every case I FL sized had ridges all around the neck (not the shoulder) like a Ruffles potato chip. Evidently this die had not been polished inside.

            I emailed RCBS and explained the problem. They told me to mail it to them with $5 and they will polish it for me. That wasn't the "excellent customer service" I was expecting.
            Never had that problem with them. Then again I can walk in their front door.
            ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

            Comment

            • #21
              kurac
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 2917

              I only made the mistake of buying a Lee Dies set once, and that was about 20 years ago.
              www.culinagrips.com
              "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

              Comment

              • #22
                CK_32
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2010
                • 14369

                Originally posted by cc56
                I have a lee loader, just got it. I put on the universal decapping die and within about 100 rounds had bent the pin on 223 cases (non military rounds). I sent lee an e-mail and they wanted the pin back or a picture. I assume they are going to mail me a new one. I thought if there was too much force the pin was supposed to pop out.....

                Dang. That pin was pretty thick. And yea I thought so too. But if its in there as tight as their adjustment was I know why it bent.
                For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                What's Your Caliber??


                My Youtube channel

                Comment

                • #23
                  Germz
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 4691

                  my lee 9mm die was the same way. i had to put it in a vice and use over 50lbs of torque to undo it. but it was a cheap die set what do you expect.
                  Retired Account

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    at_liberty
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 699

                    I have a small vice and proper wrenches in my shop, so I can't believe this would have been a problem for me. I know I'm supposed to take dies apart to clean and degrease them before use.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      19K
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3621

                      i recently found mine on the floor of the garage covered in surface rust, i took some wrenches while it was mounted on the press and easily took it apart.

                      nothing wrong with them.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mjmagee67
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 2771

                        Just got a reply from Lee on a broken part, its on the way. All I did was send a picture with a brief description, no other questions ask. I've never had an issue with Lee' quality and or customer service. 9 out 10 of my dies are Lee and the just work and work and work, best bang for the buck.
                        If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          LynnJr
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 7958

                          Originally posted by mrkubota
                          Lee sizing/decapping dies aren't made with a separate decapping pin/expander rod assembly. They are usually one piece held in place by the large collet that screws into the top of the die body. How tightly it's held is determined by how tightly you adjust the collet tension around the decapping rod shaft.

                          You'll definitely need to use medium/large adjustable or box end wrenches to avoid damage to the collet in particular. Pliers/channel locks won't work!
                          You shouldn't have to remove the collet to adjust the rod. Just loosen it up enough to move the rod up or down, then re-tighten.

                          This is how my Lee dies are put together as well and they have never been a problem and excellent customer service as well.
                          If they told you to send them back why wouldn't you do that?
                          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                          Southwest Regional Director
                          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                          www.unlimitedrange.org
                          Not a commercial business.
                          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            XDRoX
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4420

                            Because they wanted him to pay for the shipping.
                            Chris
                            <----Rimfire Addict


                            Originally posted by Oceanbob
                            Get a DILLON...

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              A and O
                              Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 158

                              Originally posted by XDRoX
                              Because they wanted him to pay for the shipping.

                              Think that needs stating again, some don't seem to understand why that makes no sense w/o a procedure for reimbursement.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                at_liberty
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2010
                                • 699

                                Originally posted by A and O
                                Think that needs stating again, some don't seem to understand why that makes no sense w/o a procedure for reimbursement.
                                I ship small things from my business almost daily, and I would estimate that we are talking about no more than $2.50 here. Just sayin'.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1