Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Broke my Lee Auto Prime

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mark501w
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1699

    Broke my Lee Auto Prime

    Broke the handle. Checked EBay bidding on the old model crazy, so I bought the new model for less (XR). Looking at the new model I got to wondering if the new handle would fit the old? It does, so if you like the old model & want to repair it go to Midway & buy your new handle.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Last edited by mark501w; 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM.
  • #2
    SmokeWagon
    Member
    • May 2011
    • 220

    I'm not sure I will ever use mine again. That thing is murder on my thumb and hand, probably because I do to many at one sitting. I got the Lee Ram Prime and am never looking back, that thing just sings once you get in a grove and for rifle brass you know that primer is seated where it should be.

    Good to know that LEE made the parts interchangeable on that hand primer though as many do not like the new safety feature on the new model as it sometimes flips the primer upside down.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA
    GOC

    Comment

    • #3
      mark501w
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 1699

      Ya I understand the lever is wider. Ilike being able to feel the primer seating it's a simple & cheap way to accomplish this.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dark Mod
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 4284

        Good info! love that thing. Nothing like sitting on the couch watching tv and having 1000 primed peices of brass at the end of a Prison Break marathon.

        Comment

        • #5
          mark501w
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 1699

          I think with some grinding the connecting rod could be used too.

          Comment

          • #6
            'ol shooter
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 4646

            I bet if you call or e-mail Lee, they send you whatever parts you need to fix it for free. I like my new one, but still like my old one too.
            sigpic
            Bob B.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

            Comment

            • #7
              mark501w
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 1699

              Sheesh, I thought I was doing good at 2.00!

              Comment

              • #8
                Bug Splat
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2007
                • 6561

                Mine broke too after some 20K primes. I machined a new handle out of aircraft grade aluminum and have not had a problem since. I never use it these days after getting a lee Classic turret with the built in priming system. Works amazingly well and IMO is the best press mounted priming system out there. Tubes suck hard and take way to much time.

                I bet Lee will replace it for free if you ask.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Fjold
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 23064

                  I have two of them, the oldest one that I bought in 1981 is still working.
                  Frank

                  One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                  Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Divernhunter
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2010
                    • 8753

                    I called them 2 different time about mine when they broke. They would do nothing.
                    I just bought new ones. They are cheap----in more than one way.
                    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      AMProducts
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 53

                      I still have the scars from where that stupid handle broke and sliced up my hand. Go buy a better tool.
                      Type 10/02 Manufacturer
                      Author of the Ammo Blog http://bulletmaker.blogspot.com

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mark501w
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 1699

                        Can't say I've had that trouble.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          gunboat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 3288

                          I still use the really old "old style" with the screw in shellholders --
                          Always on the lookout for more shellholders :-) --

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mark501w
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 1699

                            I 've never seen one.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              'ol shooter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 4646

                              One trick I taught myself is, if I am needing a lot of force to seat primers in a run of cases, I use a Q-tip with a light amount of Imperial neck sizing dry lube in the case holes. They go in nice and smooth, and don't back out when fired.
                              sigpic
                              Bob B.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1