Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

45 colt with 230 gr plated using blue dot recipe

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • devster55
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 2095

    45 colt with 230 gr plated using blue dot recipe

    Does anyone have a recipie I can use with a new vaquero. I might just buy a different powder. or sell these berrys plated bullets for some cast bullets.
    Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    I shoot Berry's in my 625 with Trail Boss. I like Trail Boss because it takes up a lot of space in that big case. If you have never seen it, it looks like microscopic Cheeri-o's. The only issue with them is they static cling, so I wipe my dispenser tube and funnel down inside with a fabric softener sheet prior to reloading, which completely stops the cling. You can find recipes on the Hodgdon site. Good shooting.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      CEDaytonaRydr
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 4142

      Trail Boss is very good powder for lead loads, and revolvers. Love that stuff!

      I don't know about 45LC but Blue Dot had some issues, when loading in 41 Magnum. So much so that 41 loaders avoid it like the plague. It probably isn't an issue with 45 but you might want to check into it.

      Comment

      • #4
        devster55
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 2095

        I shot it just fine today. I took some 250 gr XTP's out.
        Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

        Comment

        • #5
          Capt.Dunsel
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 1199

          Blue Dot From 11.7 grains to 16.0 grains
          CCI-300 Primer

          DISCLAIMER !

          Use this info taken from http://stevespages.com/page8.htm at your own risk , I am not responsible for it.
          Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

          Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

          Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

          Comment

          • #6
            devster55
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 2095

            Anyone else
            Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

            Comment

            • #7
              CEDaytonaRydr
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 4142

              Originally posted by devster55
              Anyone else
              So, you said you might use a different powder. Are you still looking for load data for Blue Dot?

              You can always look at the Alliant website. They don't have load data for a 230gr LSWC, but they have data for 250gr LSWC. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...36&bulletid=67

              You should always load plated bullets to lead cast data. Also, keep in mind that lighter bullets use more powder, so the pressure with that load data for 250gr should be LOWER pressure with a 230gr projectile. One thing I would not do with Blue Dot is load light... (due to the aforementioned issues with other calibers)

              Comment

              • #8
                devster55
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 2095

                Ok thanks guys. I'm looking for some unique right now and just gonna use that.
                Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

                Comment

                • #9
                  JagerDog
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2011
                  • 15674

                  I like BD in 45 Colt. I'm on vacation, so I don't have the data with my, but IIRC I settled on 12.6 BD for 255g cast/moly. Also IIRC 13g was tops for std pressure.
                  Last edited by JagerDog; 07-27-2013, 10:19 AM.
                  Palestine is a fake country

                  No Mas Hamas



                  #Blackolivesmatter

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CEDaytonaRydr
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 4142

                    Originally posted by devster55
                    Ok thanks guys. I'm looking for some unique right now and just gonna use that.


                    Not one person thus far has even suggested Unique. For that caliber, and that projectile, there are many better options. Trailboss, PB, 2400, etc. Unique is a good powder, don't get me wrong; I love it for 45 ACP but there are better options for 45LC...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Capt.Dunsel
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2011
                      • 1199

                      IMR 4227 comes to mind

                      700x , W231 or W296 and the list can continue..........

                      your trying to build a hunting load right ?
                      Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

                      Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

                      Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        devster55
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 2095

                        No I'm using blue dot for my hunting load with 250gr xtp. This is just a plinking rd
                        Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JagerDog
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2011
                          • 15674

                          BD is one of the best if trying to maximize velocity while staying within factory Colt pressure range. If velocity isn't an issue any of the target powders work well.
                          Palestine is a fake country

                          No Mas Hamas



                          #Blackolivesmatter

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            devster55
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 2095

                            Yeah I like it. Just need a load for a 230 gr projectile.
                            Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JagerDog
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • May 2011
                              • 15674

                              Originally posted by devster55
                              Yeah I like it. Just need a load for a 230 gr projectile.
                              Then what's the question/problem? There's enough data out there to get a decent handle on charge and expected velocity. Not gonna be much published bullet specific data on plated anything. Reviewing Alliant data there's very little charge difference betwen lead and jacketed with BD. You can always call Alliant to get their input on charge weight. Myself, I can't see any reason not to feel comfy with up to 13g of BD.
                              Last edited by JagerDog; 08-01-2013, 10:51 PM.
                              Palestine is a fake country

                              No Mas Hamas



                              #Blackolivesmatter

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1