Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

issues with 308 reloads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mchava
    Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 406

    issues with 308 reloads

    Hi folks i am having issues with some of my 308 reload not working. i just got a used rbcs 308 win die set. I am using once fired LC brass. So her is my problem, i did 20rnds yesterday and out of the 20 two will chamber but will not allow the bolt to lock and 2 will chamber and allow the bolt to lock but its take a bit of force the rest worked fine. Not sure what the deal is here. Here are the details on the brass prep, size and decap with rcbs fl die, then trimmed to 2.008-2.007. COAL is 2.800 using a 150 grn hpbt Sierra bullet. One thing I did notice was the brass was really hard to resize(using imperial wax) and took a bit of force to do it. Not typical to the 223 brass I've done before. Any help is appreciate.
  • #2
    milw50717
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 740

    If military once fired brass it could very well have been through an SA or FA which will likely have formed the brass in such a way as to make resizing difficult.

    There are a number of posts on this already so fo s search.

    In a nutshell, you will have to do FL resizing, use a case gage and check if it chambers in your rifle after sizing and before you do other reloading steps. Once it is resized to fit your bolt action and fired you may get away with just neck sizing until it no longer gages or chambers.

    Comment

    • #3
      Jeymz
      Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 292

      +1 on the case gage. You are most likely not bumping the shoulders back enough.

      Comment

      • #4
        FLIGHT762
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 3072

        The best way to find out what is going on is to use a case gauge to see if you're resizing and bumping the shoulder back enough. If you don't have a gauge, You can try to turn your die into the the press another 1/8th-1/12th of a turn and see if that helps. Many times, the die needs that little extra slight turn to properly size.

        Sometimes the MG fired LC brass can be difficult. Another technique to try is to run the properly lubed case fully up into the die, lower the ram down to just before you pull the neck through the button expander and run the case again up into the die a second time then lower the ram completely. Sometimes, this will help bump the shoulder back to where it should be.


        I did this today on some LC 5.56 brass and it worked like a charm. The second bump moved the shoulder back another .002" or so measured with a case gauge.

        Comment

        • #5
          mchava
          Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 406

          Thanks guys, did a search and read that LC mil brass is hard to resize so that answers one question. I will have to hunt down a case gauge for the second issue. Just thought is was wierd that some worked and others did not. Well once again thanks for the help.

          Comment

          • #6
            74c5
            Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 323

            You have too many variables to really get closure. You need a new, known good, die.
            I've done well over 1000 pieces of once fired .308 brass without any problems. I double bump in a full length sizer and, because I'm anal, took about 0.005 to 0.010 off of the top of the shell holder. The die can only go down so far so, dialing it down a bit more really only increases the lever force. Taking a bit off of the holder brings it down to what is needed.

            Comment

            • #7
              mchava
              Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 406

              I know the issue is still not resolved, but with out a case gauge its hard to tell what the issue might be. I still need to get a cause gauge to verify my case after they've been resized. I have read about people doing the same thing to the shell holder but want to look at other things before I start to modify the dies or shell holders. I will give an plate once I find a case gauge but anything 308 in my Lgs is hard to find. So I might have to order it on line

              Comment

              • #8
                J-cat
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2005
                • 6626

                How did you set up your sizing die? Did you lube the inside of the necks?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Pete1979
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 670

                  Use a rub on lube like imperial sizing wax or Hornady's unique lube. Set the press to cam over and give it another try. Check a handful of sized cases to see if they chamber. I shot my M1A quite a bit using once fired Lake City brass that was defiantly machine gun fired. After the first sizing it's not too bad, you can get away with Dillon lube.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mchava
                    Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 406

                    I set up the die just like I do with the 223 dies all the way till it touches the shell holder and them adjust about 1/2 turn for cam on press. As for lube I am already using imperial sizing wax so I k ow that's not the issue.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Pete1979
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 670

                      What kind of press are you using? My Dillon and Hornady presses won't bump the shoulders consistently, I size the first time on a CoAx.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        J-cat
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2005
                        • 6626

                        Originally posted by mchava
                        I set up the die just like I do with the 223 dies all the way till it touches the shell holder and them adjust about 1/2 turn for cam on press. As for lube I am already using imperial sizing wax so I k ow that's not the issue.
                        Sometimes the die is reamed too long. And it only bumps the shoulder a hair. Your rifle's chamber may have been cut short. You may find that the die and the chamber are the same length and there is no shoulder bumping action at all.

                        Now comes the expander ball. If you don't lube the INSIDE of the neck, the expander ball will pull the neck and the shoulder forward on the way out. This pulling of the neck and shoulder forward decreases headspace and may cancel whatever shoulder bumping you may have achieved.

                        So lube the inside of the necks. I use a qtip.
                        Last edited by J-cat; 07-03-2013, 6:25 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mark501w
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 1699

                          What does it say on top of the die, FL? What shell holder are you using ?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mchava
                            Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 406

                            I am using both a lee turret and a rcbs rockchucker to size.

                            The die says it a 308 win fl I am also using an rcbs #3 holder

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 7079

                              OP do you want to try running them on my CoAx?
                              "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1