Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

With so many different powders out there....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cummins_Powered
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 548

    With so many different powders out there....

    So for arguments sake, imagine that you could go to your LGS or online and basically buy any of the seemingly hundreds of powder types out there.


    That said, how do you choose?? those who have a favorite powder for a certain cartridge. Did you just look in your manual, look at the powder charge/velocity and just buy what looked good? Are you brand loyal? Im just trying to decide if i should stick with what ive used or if i should just keep trying different powders (assuming there is no shortage). Do you stick with what you always buy just so you dont have to work up more loads? Do you enjoy working up loads??


    I use: (these were purchased because they were what i could find)
    IMR 4350 for my 30-06 and 7.7 JAP
    Varget for my .223
    700x and for 38spl
    just bought titegroup but havent tried it yet.



    Just very curious i guess.
    Now we know!
  • #2
    Ghost_Maker
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 336

    I buy whatever is avail.... if I can load 9 40 45 and 38 with it... ill use it
    GFY

    Comment

    • #3
      shooting4life
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2009
      • 5770

      I just buy powder and find guns to use said powder.

      Comment

      • #4
        Fjold
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 23062

        For rifles, I buy IMR4064, H4350, BL(c)-2, H4895, Reloader 15, AA2230, H4831SC, Varget and a few others.

        For handguns, it's W231, W296 and Tightgroup

        Usually when I'm loading for a new rifle cartridge I look on the internet for common powders used and usually pick one that will get me higher velocities with about 90% loading density, for the bullet weights that I want to use.
        Frank

        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

        Comment

        • #5
          gemoose23
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 1079

          I use a matrix of:
          • Cost
          • "normal availability"aka ease of acquiring (sold at my local gun store, the discount warehouses, cabelas)
          • how much case fill do I get for my favorite load... more than 50% case full enhances the ability for powder cops, lockout dies to work or even plainly see abnormal charge drops.


          I enjoy working loads, but If the powder is good within my matrix.. I just buy in bulk which allows me to shoot and practice even in the ebbs and flows of ammo availability.
          Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
          If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

          Comment

          • #6
            rm1911
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 4073

            Powder selection can be difficult. When I started reloading over 20 years ago there simply weren't the massive number of powders. And since availability wasn't an issue then I had the opportunity to try a few different powders. Back then I used manuals a lot as there was no Internet. More than that I used the old gurus who kinda pointed me in a good direction.

            Guys starting now I really feel sorry for. You have waaaay too much information and waaay too few components available.

            I honestly don't really remember how I settled on the powders I did other than 4895 for the garand. That's kinda mandatory. After enough trial I found the ones that worked best. Not as easy to do today. I was lucky in that I was a able to do a lot of development and the was a able to stock up from waaaay back. I have powder that's going on 20 years old. And it still works great.

            Chances are you'll find something that will work. Perhaps. Lots of powders will be comparable or do double and triple duty. Right now I'd focus on first is it available then second will it work in as many calibers as possible. Bullseye is great in 45 and 357 lead but ok in 9. Well I got a lot of bullseye so I'll end up loading some 9 with it when my stash of no.5 runs out.
            NRA Life Member since 1990

            They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

            Comment

            • #7
              damndave
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2008
              • 10858

              If I could only have 2 powders they would be Varget for rifle and W231 for pistol.

              Comment

              • #8
                wild_weasel
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 1257

                I started reloading handgun ammo in the old days, circa 1980. Back then Hercules now Alliant Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 covered all your bases. My first rifles were a Ruger 45/70 and Enfield No4Mk1 in 303 British so looking through my manuals IMR 3031 would work either so that is where I started. Today there are so many specialty powders your guess is as good as mine. I get Hand Loader magazine and after reading reviews on Allient Power Pistol and Hodgdon’s CFE223 I started using those in 38 Special +P and 223Rem/5.56mm NATO respectively.
                sigpic
                Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

                Comment

                • #9
                  wild_weasel
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 1257

                  Get Handler Magazine...
                  sigpic
                  Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    J-cat
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2005
                    • 6626

                    Buy Bullseye first. All reloading begins with Bullseye. You can use Bullseye for anything, including seasoning your food. Then buy whatever powder the whole world uses for whatever application: for example, buy Varget for .308 Winchester, Hodgdon 335 for .223, Reloader-7 for the .45-70, etc. Load for accuracy, not speed. Certain bullet/powder combinations produce spectacular accuracy in certain applications.

                    The above advice will save you time and money. If you wanna run your own experiments, buy lotsa components and barrels.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      wxl
                      Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 240

                      When I started reloading 25 years ago, I used the Lyman Manual to select a couple of powders to try out for pistols and a couple of powders to try out for 223. Once I found which one I preferred, I picked one powder for pistols and one for 223. My decision was based on accuracy, cost, and availability of reloading data. Having only two powders reduced my inventory (cost) and minimizes the risk of using the wrong powder which will result in squibs or kabooms. Having only one powder for pistols may not be "ideal" for every caliber and every gun, but I'm not trying to reload match grade ammo. Unfortunately the powders I chose were the most poplular and most common, which are now the ones most difficult to get. I use Unique for pistols and IMR4198 for 223.
                      Last edited by wxl; 06-21-2013, 7:59 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mark501w
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 1699

                        Your always loading for a individual gun a lot of trial & error. You will notice that some powders are discussed by long time re loaders & literature than others. Then you will have a gun that defies all conventional wisdom & that's just time @ the bench.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rjf
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 649

                          DOVE FIRST, THEN DEER Shotshell loads for the opener, rifle work right behind. BUILT FOR THE SEASON Extreme series powders for hunting loads, dawn to dusk. SHOP HODGDON Dialing in your next purchase? Shop the Hodgdon Powder line and find the exact powder your looking for. Shop Now Fraud Alert Multiple sites are now impersonating […]


                          Pick a powder with comparable burn rates for your application. Some powder meters better than others.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            EL_NinO619
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 1519

                            I buy what might suit my needs then do my own testing. Then proven good powders get bought in 8lb jugs. When sampling I buy 1lb.
                            se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                            .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                            On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              milotrain
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 4301

                              Never use a burn rate chart to determine what powder to load. Possibly what powder to investigate but a burn rate chart is barely useful when actually reloading.

                              I buy powder this way:
                              What is recommended by load data in trusted manuals
                              What is common and economical
                              What meters best
                              What is the least temperature sensitive
                              What might be useful in other rifle/pistol chambers I shoot
                              weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                              frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1