Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Factory 308 brass; resize before loading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kevin S
    Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 239

    Factory 308 brass; resize before loading?

    Hey there folks! Quick question;

    I just received some shiny new Hornady 'Match Grade' 308 brass. What do y'all recommend in terms of case prep? FL-size, neck-size, or just chamfer?

    I've only ever prepped once-fired and cruddy Winchester factory brass. Dunno if these 'better grade' should be treated the same.

    All help is always VERY much appreciated!!!
  • #2
    milw50717
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 740

    At a minimum you should neck-size to ensure proper bullet seating.

    It is generally best to full-length resize all new brass just in case they are out of spec. However you can case gage and chamber them and if all looks good just neck-size.

    Comment

    • #3
      Kevin S
      Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 239

      Thanks for the advice! The perfectionist in me wants to FL each piece to ensure consistency, but the miser in me wants to save on brass stress.

      I think I'll treat these like all others to be sure.

      Thanks again!

      Comment

      • #4
        Sub95
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 1227

        What are you going to use it for? paper match hunting?

        Comment

        • #5
          Kevin S
          Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 239

          Hunting mostly; but my thought is that in anything I do; I want to make sure my ammunition isn't the culprit.

          So consistency and proper load work up is important.

          I want to make sure all fault is on the doofus behind the trigger and not the equipment

          Comment

          • #6
            Divernhunter
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 8753

            Depends on how anal you want to get.
            1) I have just primed and loaded them.--For hunting or non-comp target shooting. I have gotten one hole groups sometimes.
            2) I have run them into a FL sizer for the sizer ball to enter the neck and true up the necks but not FL size. Same results as #1 but less bullet shaving.
            3) I have also chamfered the neck inside and out after #2 and got the same results except even less bullet shaving
            4) For my Africa trip I got real anal and in addition to the above I ran them in the tumbler with new corn cob media until very shiney, deburred the flash holes, uniformed the primer pockets, weighted the brass and seperated into groups within 1 grain for each group. Hand primed all brass with newly purchased primers. Then hand weighted each powder charge. Loaded with bullets which were weighted into groups and carefully seated. They shot well also. Accurate enough out to 480 yards in a 338win mag or 257Roberts for all one shot kills. This was with regular Rem and Win brass.

            Some quick questions: What cartridge are you loading? To hunt what? What bullet/powder/primers are you using? What rifle/scope combo are you going to shoot this out of? What is your hunting/reloading expierence level? How much practice do you do/have with the rifle/scope? The answer to some of these is more important than the brass prep. If you would like some help or to go shoot at the range (no cost) and are near me I would be glad to help.
            Last edited by Divernhunter; 06-11-2013, 6:04 PM.
            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

            Comment

            • #7
              SMarquez
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 2216

              I do and also de-burr the flash holes.

              Comment

              • #8
                G-forceJunkie
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2010
                • 6475

                Headspace should be fine, but you may want to run an expander ball down the necks to straighten them out and make sure they are the right size. I know Winchester always comes with tight necks.

                Comment

                • #9
                  HPBrowningMK3
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 1299

                  Resize. Always.
                  sigpicNRA Life Member



                  "The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

                  "Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

                  -- Clint Smith

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    EL_NinO619
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 1519

                    Honady match should be on par and ready to load. That's how it was when I got some. I say drop a few in a case gauge, if they check out try and reload a few and check that its not shaving the bullets and neck tension is proper.
                    se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                    .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                    On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Beelzy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 9225

                      Originally posted by HPBrowningMK3
                      Resize. Always.
                      +1......always.
                      "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1