Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First .223 Reload Report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ndllana
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 196

    First .223 Reload Report

    So finally after months of waiting for components, parts for my Hornady LNL AP, I was able to produce my first batch of .223 reloads. I made 5 rounds of each with the different primers.

    I used the following primers SRP:

    Wolf
    Tula
    Winchester
    CCI 400
    Tula

    The following powders:

    Hodgdon BLC2 24.3gr
    Winchester 748 25.5gr
    IMR 4895 24.3gr

    Bullet:
    Hornady 55gr FMJWC

    Brass Misc. range pickups, mostly military.

    The best metering out of the 3 powders in order: BLC2, IMR 4895, Win 748.

    Primers all went bang with no slamfires but the CCI was the softest and some distorted when I tried to seat them.

    The best grouping in order: IMR 4895, Win 748, BLC2.

    Overall I was very happy with my first batch of .223 rounds.

    Question? Has anyone used the BLC2 , and what is their recipe for the best accuracy? I shot them at 50 yards. The IMR 4895 and the 748 shot at nickel diameters. The BLC2 at quarter.
  • #2
    snowdog650
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 1108

    I guess I'm wondering how you came up with your powder charges for each different powder.

    Most folks will do a ladder test or something of the like to find out which charge range gives the shooter a *sweet spot* for any given powder.

    Comment

    • #3
      ndllana
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 196

      Originally posted by snowdog650
      I guess I'm wondering how you came up with your powder charges for each different powder.

      Most folks will do a ladder test or something of the like to find out which charge range gives the shooter a *sweet spot* for any given powder.
      I used the Hornady Reloading Manual and used the load just one step from the listed maximum.

      Comment

      • #4
        NoNOS67
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2008
        • 2161

        To each his own, but I think you would have better luck working with one primer and one powder at a time. Why complicate things?

        Comment

        • #5
          ndllana
          Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 196

          Originally posted by NoNOS67
          To each his own, but I think you would have better luck working with one primer and one powder at a time. Why complicate things?
          I would love to stay with one powder and one primer, but these days I buy what is available.

          Comment

          • #6
            hanover67
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 83

            I reload .223 for a match rifle with Winchester brass & primers, 27gr of Win 748 and the Sierra 52gr HPBT Matchking bullet. So far it has been a very accurate load and holds the 10-ring at 200 yards. I'm thinking of replacing the existing 1-12" twist barrel with a 1-7" twist so I can shoot heavier bullets.

            Comment

            • #7
              damndave
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2008
              • 10858

              You should try 1 powder and kind of primer at a time with different charges. It will surprise you how much a .5 variation in powder charge can do for accuracy.

              This past weekend I tried some different loads of Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT over H335 out of my AR and the groups ranged from 1-3" at 100 yrds.

              Comment

              • #8
                perez259
                Member
                • May 2013
                • 151

                Originally posted by ndllana
                I used the Hornady Reloading Manual and used the load just one step from the listed maximum.
                I need to pick up this manual

                Comment

                • #9
                  Germz
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 4691

                  Originally posted by perez259
                  I need to pick up this manual
                  i'm surprised someone that has the manual doesn't take the time to type it up in post format. for...oh say.... 223 since we're on that topic.

                  sharing is caring. lmao

                  hint hint OP
                  Retired Account

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GeoffLinder
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 2425

                    I have always liked 748 under 55gr bullets. My pet load is just a bit above 27.5 grains (do not just duplicate this, it must be worked up to in a specific rifle as it is a near max load in most rifles). I find best accuracy with 748 in the 26+ grain range under the same bullet (Hornady bulk 55gr FMJ).

                    I second the advice on testing in increments with one powder at a time. 748 gives me sub MOA accuracy with this bullet, but you do need to find the sweet spot for powder charge to get best result. You should also chrono your tests, to verify what velocity is most accurate AND to know what you are getting from a specific charge weight. Faster is better at longer ranges, especially with a 55gr and much under 2950-3000 fps may not provide best downrange performance in the wind.

                    FYI, I am getting about 3050-3075 fps with a tad over 27gr of 748 so I am guessing your charge of 25.5gr of 748 is possibly down in the 2800fps range.

                    Additionally, 100 yards is really the minimum range you want to do proper accuracy testing at, 200 yards is even better. 50 yards is just way too close to really see what is truly happening downrange.
                    Last edited by GeoffLinder; 06-11-2013, 4:38 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ndllana
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 196

                      Originally posted by GeoffLinder
                      I have always liked 748 under 55gr bullets. My pet load is just a bit above 27.5 grains (do not just duplicate this, it must be worked up to in a specific rifle as it is a near max load in most rifles). I find best accuracy with 748 in the 26+ grain range under the same bullet (Hornady bulk 55gr FMJ).

                      I second the advice on testing in increments with one powder at a time. 748 gives me sub MOA accuracy with this bullet, but you do need to find the sweet spot for powder charge to get best result. You should also chrono your tests, to verify what velocity is most accurate AND to know what you are getting from a specific charge weight. Faster is better at longer ranges, especially with a 55gr and much under 2950-3000 fps may not provide best downrange performance in the wind.

                      FYI, I am getting about 3050-3075 fps with a tad over 27gr of 748 so I am guessing your charge of 25.5gr of 748 is possibly down in the 2800fps range.

                      Additionally, 100 yards is really the minimum range you want to do proper accuracy testing at, 200 yards is even better. 50 yards is just way too close to really see what is truly happening downrange.
                      Thanks for the tips. The 50 yard lane was the only range available that day. I do plan on buying a chrono when funds are available. The rifle i was using is a Colt Sporter Target AR15 1-7 twist.
                      Last edited by ndllana; 06-11-2013, 1:00 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        EL_NinO619
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 1519

                        I just tested a bunch of .223 loads for accuracy and velocity. The most accurate load that day was BLC-(2) moving @ around 2625fps. No where near max.
                        se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                        .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                        On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mark501w
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 1699

                          Op try 25gr H4895 52gr Hornady HPBT Win case Win primer work up as normal a little more room to move should you like to.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Justintoxicated
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3836

                            no way H4895 meters better than 748, something is up with your powder charge if that is correct.

                            BLC2 then 748 then H4895. Stick powder never meters as good as ball in my experience. BLC2 usually is within +- .1gr on my hornady press, H4895 I get like +-.3 depending on how much powder I'm dropping. I always end up hand trickeling up with H4895.

                            Also you should not start at one from maximum sometimes you will find your rifle likes a particular bullet closer to the starting load. You might also very well see pressure signs much sooner than the maximum so you don't want to start there for sure.

                            .2gr makes a pretty obvious difference for me with BLC2. I would move your targets back to 100 meters and use one primer powder and bullet with different loads in .2 increments until you find the best, or you can do a ladder with .5gr increments to get you in the ballpark then do .2gr increments less than and greater than your best load to see what works best. it usually takes me more than 2 range trips to find the best load, and then that can change later depending if it is winter or summer. I notice after my 5th group or so that I often start to get tired and my groups open up, so I end up re-testing the next few times based on previous findings.

                            also 55gr bullets are a bit on the light side for most modern ARs.


                            I need to re-test with 748 because I have an 8lb jug of it, but I had much better restults in my AR with BLC2.
                            Last edited by Justintoxicated; 06-11-2013, 11:18 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              GeoffLinder
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 2425

                              Originally posted by ndllana
                              Thanks for the tips. The 50 yard lane was the only range available that day. I do plan on buying a chrono when funds are available. The rifle i was using is a Colt Sporter Target AR15.
                              WW 748 is a great powder for .223 in bullet weights from 50-69 grains. It meters very well and has always been my go to powder for 55gr loading.

                              The Hornady bullet you are using is one of the better choices for a 55gr. A very good OAL to use is 2.235" range.

                              Try a starting charge of just under 26 grains and work it up to just over 27 grains in .2 to .3 grain increments. Watch for pressure signs as you approach 27gr. Try to borrow a chrono if possible and get velocities for each test group while doing the group shooting.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1