Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone got a pet load for .357 magnum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Batman
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2654

    Anyone got a pet load for .357 magnum?

    I need a decent load for a .357 Magnum for a Desert Eagle. I heard it likes heavier bullets (158 grain FMJ-FP.... Check! ), but want to know seating depth and powder charge for Winchester 231. Any help would be appreciated!
  • #2
    Spanky8601
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 2283

    Originally posted by Batman
    I need a decent load for a .357 Magnum for a Desert Eagle. I heard it likes heavier bullets (158 grain FMJ-FP.... Check! ), but want to know seating depth and powder charge for Winchester 231. Any help would be appreciated!
    I use 6.9 grains of 231 and the 158 grain bullet. That is at the upper range of recommended. Shoots fine out of my 6 inch 586 and the Marlin lever.
    May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am

    Comment

    • #3
      CityHunt3r
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 933

      Th dessert eagle.shoots 357 rounds? Did.t know there.was a hand.gun that shoots 357 rounds, 357 Sig but not mag, I learn something new today.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Malthusian
        Veteran Member
        • May 2010
        • 4133

        The DE .357 was designed when the original SAAMI CUP measurements were used

        As long as your gun cycles you are GTG
        "While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
        Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.

        Comment

        • #5
          wtkaiser
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 660

          Coonan made a .357, also. Not sure if they still do or if they're still around.

          Comment

          • #6
            rromeo
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2009
            • 6981

            16.5gr of Win 296 with a jacketed 158 bullet is good .357 Magnum load.
            If you want a little lighter, but still know you're shooting a magnum, try 14 gr of 2400.
            Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

            - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
            (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

            Comment

            • #7
              mjmagee67
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 2771

              16.9gr of Alliant MP-300 under a 158gr boolet. Mighty snappy but no pressure signs with CCI SPP.
              If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

              Comment

              • #8
                derniere
                Junior Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 93

                My Lyman Reload manual doesn't list data for Win231 158gr FMJ in 357Mag. Hell, even the Lee manual doesn't list that. I suspect it's because in this caliber, FMJ projectiles were mostly tested with slower powders to higher velocities. Win 231 doesn't quite fall into that category.

                The Lee manual does list a combination of Win231 (or HP38), for 158 gr Lead bullet. Data for that is as follows:

                Win 231, min 3.4gr, 796fps, max 5.0gr, 1109fps, max pressure 23900 CUP, COAL 1.610

                Hope that helps.

                -d


                Be the Sheepdog.
                Bark softly, but carry big teeth.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bill Steele
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 5028

                  Hodgdon lists 6.2gr start and 6.9gr max for Win 231/HP38 for 158gr jacketed. Velocity at max is listed at 1220fps.
                  When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wild_weasel
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 1257

                    I use varying charges of Alliant 2400 under 125gr JHP and 158gr LSWC with Winchester SPP’s in 4” to 5” barreled revolvers. For my 357 Mag H&R 22” Handi Rifle I use H110 under 200gr LRN-GC bullets and CCI 550 magnum small pistol primer.
                    sigpic
                    Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      XDRoX
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 4420

                      14.5gr of 2400 under 158gr LSWC, standard SPP.
                      They've been shooting this load since 357 came out. It'll cycle your DE fine.
                      Chris
                      <----Rimfire Addict


                      Originally posted by Oceanbob
                      Get a DILLON...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1