Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can someone in Monterey area help me out?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mroels
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 912

    Can someone in Monterey area help me out?

    (I didn't put this in marketplace because I'm not really looking to make a deal, just need some supplies to fix a problem)

    I'm having some issue with my AR but can't really figure it out. Not sure if its the scope/rifle/loads. Basically this rifle has consistently been a .5 moa gun with my hand loads, but recently it more like a shotgun. Still <250 rnds thru it. I tightened everything, loctite etc. But it doesn't hold zero. Tried my last 20 rounds of crappy PMC, shot a great group, zeroed the scope, had 5 rounds left so shot another group and wham 3" low and huge group. Chronoed the loads and everything looked good and in line with earlier data. Had someone else shoot my loads and it was better than from my gun but nowhere close to how I know that load performs. So I'm not sure where my problem lies. Could be scope is broken, or loads are messed up, or both. Doubt it's the gun, and I hope it isn't. Easiest way is to get some good ammo.

    Anyway I'm looking for like 20-40 rounds of .223 either 69gr or 77gr. Preferably match grade factory ammo or an accuracy load that I can know should group well.

    I know times a tough so for consideration I've got Nosler CC 69gr & 77gr, Hornady .224 68gr HPBT, 168&178gr AMAX, Hornady .308 Match Brass unfired, 1lb H322/H335

    Pm me to let me know what you got and what you want.


    Thanks
    Last edited by mroels; 05-17-2013, 9:39 PM.
  • #2
    firebert
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 1349

    I'd check the mount to your scope. If you could, see how it shoots with just iron sights.
    03FFL - NRA Life Member - GOA Member

    Comment

    • #3
      nothing4u
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 1378

      Put the scope on another gun that is known to shoot good groups. Fastest way to know if it's the scope or not.
      Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

      Comment

      • #4
        mroels
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 912

        My only other rifle is my bolt gun and the way that thing shoots right now I'm not touching it. The mount is solid, as a last resort I'll take it off and check with irons. But I've got some extra stuff so I'd rather just check with good ammo if anyone can spare some in trade.

        Comment

        • #5
          anyracoon
          Veteran Member
          • May 2006
          • 3704

          Have you rechecked your hand loads?

          Comment

          • #6
            shooterbill
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 1096

            Have you really cleaned the barrel? You might have copper fouled the barrel.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fjold
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2005
              • 23064

              Originally posted by shooterbill
              Have you really cleaned the barrel? You might have copper fouled the barrel.
              That's not going to alternately shoot good groups and bad groups.
              Frank

              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

              Comment

              • #8
                Bill Steele
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 5028

                Originally posted by mroels
                (I didn't put this in marketplace because I'm not really looking to make a deal, just need some supplies to fix a problem)

                I'm having some issue with my AR but can't really figure it out. Not sure if its the scope/rifle/loads. Basically this rifle has consistently been a .5 moa gun with my hand loads, but recently it more like a shotgun. Still <250 rnds thru it. I tightened everything, loctite etc. But it doesn't hold zero. Tried my last 20 rounds of crappy PMC, shot a great group, zeroed the scope, had 5 rounds left so shot another group and wham 3" low and huge group. Chronoed the loads and everything looked good and in line with earlier data. Had someone else shoot my loads and it was better than from my gun but nowhere close to how I know that load performs. So I'm not sure where my problem lies. Could be scope is broken, or loads are messed up, or both. Doubt it's the gun, and I hope it isn't. Easiest way is to get some good ammo.

                Anyway I'm looking for like 20-40 rounds of .223 either 69gr or 77gr. Preferably match grade factory ammo or an accuracy load that I can know should group well.

                I know times a tough so for consideration I've got Nosler CC 69gr & 77gr, Hornady .224 68gr HPBT, 168&178gr AMAX, Hornady .308 Match Brass unfired, 1lb H322/H335

                Pm me to let me know what you got and what you want.


                Thanks
                I might have misread what happened, but what it sounds like is you were shooting good groups, adjusted your reticle to zero and things went haywire in subsequent shots.

                If that is what happened, some scopes when you adjust the turrets take some shots before the reticles move, some creep successively, some jump abruptly after a few shots, better scopes generally move when you adjust them, but I have had some pretty expensive scopes that exhibited these traits.

                I would take another 30 of one of my known loads, or even another box of PMC (if it was shooting OK) and see how it groups after some successive shots. Just a thought.

                If that wasn't what happened, just ignore the advice.
                When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                Comment

                • #9
                  JagerDog
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2011
                  • 15672

                  Barfka (or equivalent)?
                  Palestine is a fake country

                  No Mas Hamas



                  #Blackolivesmatter

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mroels
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 912

                    This isn't a one time thing. I've been struggling with this that last few outings. I've taken the scope off and remounted it , torqued everything to spec etc etc.

                    Loads were loaded with same care as my precision loads in .308, literally only difference is that I'm using a Lee FL die instead of Redding. (And different primers/bullets of course)

                    Rifle got a thorough cleaning after first time I experienced issues.

                    Scope is a Vortex PST. Haven't experienced issues with delay in tracking but this could be it.

                    Basically yesterday I went out with some hand loads, same issue. Switched to PMC, got it to group, zeroed, one good group. Loosened the turrets to line up to Zero, tightened it and subsequent shots were 3" low and all over the place again. Switched to hand loads again and still crappy. Guess ill have to dig up some irons and check everything with hand loads / factory ammo to eliminate possibility of the gun having an issue.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1