Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Screwed up my 223 reloads!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrextc
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 99

    Screwed up my 223 reloads!

    I have about 200 reloads that I made.

    RCBS 223 die sized, trimmed, and deburred to 1.75, primmed, charged and bullet seated.

    Now, I chambered a round and it's SUPER HARD to eject...took me a few mins of tugging to get it out...so,

    I borrowed a RCBS Micrometer Case Gauge from a friend and see that my shoulder bump is off by .05, which is why its getting stuck in the chamber.

    How do i fix the rounds that are already made?

    How do I fix my sizing die to get the shoulder bump lower?

    Thanks guys...i'm so upset about this, because I've spent so many hours prepping brass and loading!

    Thanks again.
  • #2
    bohoki
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 20826

    i would pull them all and start over

    get whackin

    Comment

    • #3
      Jeymz
      Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 292

      Sucks but yes, you will have to pull them and resize. You should invest in your own case gage and run each piece of brass through it to check. Good luck.

      Comment

      • #4
        Hallx7
        Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 280

        Pull them, adjust and reload

        Comment

        • #5
          EL_NinO619
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 1519

          You could bump the shoulders back. But this will be a good lesson to learn, you know to make sure you case gauge before you start loading.
          se carga el diablo de la pistola...
          .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
          On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

          Comment

          • #6
            mrextc
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 99

            NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!!! So how do I go about adjusting the neck bump on a RCBS full length small base resizing die? i know some of the Redding dies have neck bump adjustment...how do i adjust with my die?

            Also, can I resize without depriming the case? is that safe if i just take out the depriming pin?

            Comment

            • #7
              bohoki
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 20826

              if you try to resize with the bullet in place you are going to have a bad day

              Comment

              • #8
                mrextc
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 99

                Originally posted by bohoki
                if you try to resize with the bullet in place you are going to have a bad day
                I mean after i pull them...can i resize with the primers in?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Hallx7
                  Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 280

                  Just pull the depriming pin and size them. No need to deprime.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    scotty99
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 1184

                    Yes, just pull the decapping pin out of the die and you can resize without depriming.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CGT80
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 2981

                      Yes, as far as I know. You could just pull the decapping pin out of your sizing die. I think some sizing dies have a sizer on the stem, for the case mouth, and some may not. If yours doesn't, then just pull the center of the die that has the decapping pin. You should lube the cases, but you don't want to contaminate the primers with lube. A lube like hornady's unique, would work well. You just rub a little on with your fingers and wipe it off with a rag.

                      When I work up a load, I use a case gauge or load up a dummy without a primer or powder and chamber check it.
                      He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        EL_NinO619
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 1519

                        You can with this. They just wont be sub MOA.

                        se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                        .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                        On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          EL_NinO619
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 1519

                          You can with this. They just wont be sub MOA.

                          se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                          .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                          On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mrextc
                            Junior Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • 99

                            Hey guys, so i measured a bunch of unloaded brass, and I'm getting a pretty big variation in the shoulder...a few are good and other are .08 too high? Why would this be? all were sized at the same time at the same setting...i don't get why the shoulders would be so are off? my RCBS dies don't have a adjustment for the shoulder bump...so what do I do?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ocabj
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 7924

                              Originally posted by mrextc
                              Hey guys, so i measured a bunch of unloaded brass, and I'm getting a pretty big variation in the shoulder...a few are good and other are .08 too high? Why would this be? all were sized at the same time at the same setting...i don't get why the shoulders would be so are off? my RCBS dies don't have a adjustment for the shoulder bump...so what do I do?
                              Whatever the longest measurements you're getting, that's what your die is probably sizing down to.

                              Screw down your sizing die 1/8 to 1/4 turns until you get the shoulder sizing you need.

                              Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                              NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                              NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                              https://www.ocabj.net

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1