Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

7.62x54R Brass at Grafs & Son

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wild_weasel
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 1257

    7.62x54R Brass at Grafs & Son

    Was noodling around the interweb and found this at Grafs & Sons PPU762X54R PRVI BRASS 7.62x54R UNPRIMED 100/BAG $48.99

    Cheers,
    W-W
    sigpic
    Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
  • #2
    Ferrum
    Janitors Mop
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Aug 2011
    • 4431

    Nice find. Picked up some to play with... Now I'll go find some dies. Never have reloaded 54R.

    Comment

    • #3
      wild_weasel
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 1257

      Other than the large head/rim requiring special tool specific to the 7.62x54r reloading is pretty much strait forward. While most reloading manuals have data for .308 bullets I have only had good luck with .311 and .312 bullets. If the muzzle/crown is worn forget using boat tail bullets too. IMR 4350 is my go to powder with 150gr bullets.

      Good Luck,
      W-W
      sigpic
      Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

      Comment

      • #4
        sixoclockhold
        Banned
        • Jul 2012
        • 4040



        I only use these and they are in stock atm. Ordered two more boxes today.

        Comment

        • #5
          wild_weasel
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 1257

          Originally posted by sixoclockhold
          http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423...int-box-of-100

          I only use these and they are in stock atm. Ordered two more boxes today.
          Yes, I agree, I have used a lot of these along with 150gr Speer .311 bullets.
          sigpic
          Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

          Comment

          • #6
            Agustav
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 1172

            Most 54R rifles have pretty generous chamber. It makes sizing the brass quite a workout!

            Also if you are loading for semi-auto, the brass gets quite beat from ejection.

            PRVI brass is great!

            Comment

            • #7
              Capybara
              CGSSA Coordinator
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2012
              • 15631

              How many of you have slugged the bores of your Mosins? Out of those who have, how many use something other than .311? It seems as if most Mosin reloaders gravitate toward .311.
              NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                sixoclockhold
                Banned
                • Jul 2012
                • 4040

                Slugged .313, as Weasel said the hot cor speer .311 150 grain is an excellent bullet for accuracy. My only problem with it is it doesn't have a cannelure which I like, thus the Hornady .312 which is as accurate imo out of my rifle. Barrel heat tends to make a difference since these barrels are thin.

                Invest in one of these if you're using .311 in a lee die

                Comment

                • #9
                  Brendan
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 37

                  That seems pricey. Late last year a box of privi was about $12/20.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Wonno
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 18

                    Originally posted by Brendan
                    That seems pricey. Late last year a box of privi was about $12/20.
                    Isnt it cheaper now at 49/100?... Or is my math off suddenly?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chknlyps2
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 2191

                      Originally posted by Wonno
                      Isnt it cheaper now at 49/100?... Or is my math off suddenly?
                      The $12/20 that Brendan was speaking of is loaded ammo ready to shoot.
                      Wanted: Spent Berdan primed Yugo 7.62x39 & 7.5x55 GP11 Swiss brass

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        wild_weasel
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1257

                        Also, I have found flat base bullets to deliver best accuracy across the board in most surplus rifles. Boat tail bullets tends to scatter if the muzzle crown is damaged or worn. Surprisingly the old Bulgarian ammo had flat based 150 gr bullets that shot as well as my Hornady and Speer reloads. I had to trade through several Mosin Nagants to find two rifles that shot well with the surplus boat tail ammo.
                        sigpic
                        Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1