Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help me pick a neck sizing die for .223 Rem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ExtremeX
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 7160

    Help me pick a neck sizing die for .223 Rem

    I typically use a standard FL sizing die with an expander ball for everything I have, so I’ve never tried anything different.

    Now loading for a bolt gun I want to neck size only… I have a RCBS FL bushing match die right now which I only use as a bump die with no bushings installed to bump back .001” for my chamber. I want to neck size in a separate step.

    Option:
    1) Neck Sizer with Bushings
    2) Lee Collet Neck Sizer
    3) Standard neck sizing die with expander ball (like the RCBS version)

    I would be comfortable with option 3… I have measured neck tension when using the expander ball and I am happy with the results since I’m measuring about -.002 to -.0025 from a case with a bullet seated in it. I presume that’s right about where it needs to be.

    The Lee option intrigues me, but I don’t know anything about the die or its performance.

    I’ve haven’t got into bushing dies since I really don’t want to start turning my necks or start buying an array of bushings. But I am open to the idea since I can use the same bushings across two dies. Just not sure if it’s the right option for me.
    ExtremeX
  • #2
    ChrisGarrett
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 200

    Redding bushing neck and/or FL sizer, .22cal carbide expander button for AR-15 dinged in necks, Redding body die for shoulder bumps with neck bushing dies, tandem neck sizers with a step down bushing (.249"/.250") and no decapping stem, second neck bushing sizer with final bushing depending on brand of brass.

    Separate 550b toolhead for sizing duties. This is the same method I use for .308 Win, but I yank the expander ball for my bolt gun.

    Chris

    Comment

    • #3
      JagerDog
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2011
      • 15672

      I'm a fan of the collet die. you can play with different mandrels if you wish, but I haven't found the need. No lube is a big plus to me.
      Palestine is a fake country

      No Mas Hamas



      #Blackolivesmatter

      Comment

      • #4
        Bill Steele
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2010
        • 5028

        Originally posted by JagerDog
        I'm a fan of the collet die. you can play with different mandrels if you wish, but I haven't found the need. No lube is a big plus to me.
        I agree with this advice.

        Inexpensive to buy, works great, produces quality ammo.

        For my bolt guns, I use Wilson hand dies almost exclusively these days. They use Redding style bushings, produce the lowest runout ammo I have gotten, including my Redding Comp set.
        When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

        Comment

        • #5
          Ahhnother8
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 1454

          Standard FL sizing die body with neck bushing and without expander ball. Many of us use the Redding type 's' dies for long-range ammo. It works just fine with Winchester and Lapua brass. Have not tried it on any other brands.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1