Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ok What Am I Missing (Equipment)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    23's Dad
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 502

    With a set-up like that, you really need some Satern funnels! They really are a pleasure to use. I'm serious - it sounds weird, but when you've been slooooowly prepping brass, and begin throwing charges on the rifle cases, being able to set the case in the loading block and put that funnel in place it is a good feeling.

    The Satern funnels are very bottom heavy and mate with the specific caliber. You can set them in place and let go. No static, no tipping, no worries.

    Comment

    • #17
      JagerDog
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2011
      • 15654

      I didn't see a powder trickler. i use mine a lot.
      Palestine is a fake country

      No Mas Hamas



      #Blackolivesmatter

      Comment

      • #18
        ZNiner
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 1030

        Originally posted by JagerDog
        I didn't see a powder trickler. i use mine a lot.
        Any recommendations on a particular brand or model for a powder trickler?
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          Bill Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 5028

          Originally posted by ZNinerFan
          Any recommendations on a particular brand or model for a powder trickler?
          I would get one with a polished bowl, I think RCBS makes one. My Redding trickler works fine, but it is powder painted with a finish powder sticks to, making a bent paper clip mandatory to get powder in the bottom of the bowl out when finished. Of course, you will have a bent paper clip around anyway, so it isn't a big deal, just a slight optimization thing.

          Good luck, have fun.
          When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

          Comment

          • #20
            ZNiner
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 1030

            Just wanted to update. Ordered the following from Brownells today:

            RCBS Media Separator
            RCBS Powder Trickler - Polished Bowl
            Satern Powder Funnel 22 - 30 Cal

            My Grafs order should arrive on Friday.

            I appreciate all of the great info and recommendations you guys have tossed my way.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              ZNiner
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1030

              Ordered the RCBS Precision Mic's this morning from Wideners.

              Now I just need to find some Lapua Brass.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                damndave
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Oct 2008
                • 10858

                You have a pretty good list going there.

                Things missing:
                Primer flip tray
                Extra primer tubes
                Comparator set

                Things I would change:
                I have the Lyman flash hole deburr tool. This one tool will let you do multiple calibers.
                For the Primer pocket uniformer, I like the one from Redding. You will need a different one for large/small pockets, but it does come with a drill adapter which helps. Never used the K&M, so not sure it's ease of use or if it has a drill bit.

                Comment

                • #23
                  fal_762x51
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 2732

                  A good beginners reloading book. Fundamentals.
                  sigpic

                  Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    koehn,jim
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 643

                    reloading manuals, several and read them cover to cover.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      milotrain
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 4301

                      Lyman 49th
                      Lyman Cast Handbook (saves you boatloads in handgun practice ammo)
                      RCBS scale weights, check and recalibrate your scale often!

                      What sort of matches are you shooting? I love having a single stage press next to my 550 but I still do the charge and bullet seating on my 550 for match ammo (Service Rifle 600yard .223). Saves time and I don't have to mess with loading blocks. The coax is a great press but check out the Harrells press.

                      Explore Harrell's Precision for high-quality reloading equipment, powder measures, shooting accessories, precision tools.


                      I like the lee factory crimp dies for pistol, unnecessary for rifle. NuFinish as a tumbler additive. Ammo cans, ammo boxes, and pretzel jars for brass storage. Get a kinetic bullet puller, the collet ones are nice but they mark up smaller rifle bullets, also hornady's collet type is much nicer than RCBSs. The handle of the RCBS sometimes encourages the die to rotate in the press rather than tighten down the collet. When taking apart milsurp ammo use a bullet seating die to seat the bullet a few thou and break the tar seal, it will make pulling the bullet MUCH easier.
                      weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                      frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ZNiner
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 1030

                        Just wanted to update. The following showed up in the mail since the last time I posted:

                        RCBS Media Separator
                        RCBS Precision Mic .308 & .223
                        RCBS Powder Trickler
                        Satern Funnel .22 - .30 caliber

                        After putting my Dillon 550b together I decided to order an Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount for my Forster Co-Ax single stage press. The Dillon 550b is mounted on the Dillon Strong Mount and I wanted my Forster to be mounted similarly.

                        While going through the various items in the two boxes that came with my Dillon 550b that I ordered through Brian Enos I discovered I had ordered a Dillon primer flip tray. Yes!

                        Items left to purchase:

                        Weights to calibrate my RCBS ChargeMaster scale.

                        Once the Ultra Mount shows up for the Forster press and I get everything put together I will post some pics.

                        **Edit**

                        Question: Do I still need to swage the milsurp brass primer pocket with the Dillon 600 swager if I run the brass through the K&M primer pocket uniformer?
                        Last edited by ZNiner; 05-17-2013, 4:24 PM.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          klewan
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 3031

                          OP, have you actually done any reloading? I see you're still looking for powder, primers, projectiles, so I'm guessing no.. That's a LOT of equipment for a starter kit, hope you enjoy it.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ElvenSoul
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 17431

                            A hottie to bend over and work it
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Scuba951
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 1037

                              What brass are you looking for? I believe we have some .223 and .308 left Lapua brass left in stock.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ExtremeX
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 7160

                                Originally posted by klewan
                                That's a LOT of equipment for a starter kit, hope you enjoy it.
                                Not really…

                                That looks like someone starting reloading the right way… lots of good but once cry once on that list.

                                OP obviously did his research, that looks like a great kit for a serious beginner or a experienced loader.
                                ExtremeX

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1