Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Please help diagnose blown primers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Bill Steele
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 5028

    This doesn't seem to be related to the known issues with Win primer's cracked/pierced cups.

    I am not an AR guy but I think old Bill of Ockam would say extraction issues and blown primers are likely too much pressure.

    There are lots of ways to get too much pressure, the easiest is too much powder. Other ways, cases too long in the neck, oil (or other liquids) in the chamber/throat, etc. etc. etc. Start with too much powder.

    On the crimped primer pockets, I prefer to swage to remove the crimp. The chamfer approach seems to work well for some. For me, the number one reason I scrap rifle brass is loose primer pockets. Removing brass from that area just seems like a bad idea.

    Good luck, have fun.
    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

    Comment

    • #17
      russt
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 1039

      Sticking cases and hard extraction can be caused by over pressure.

      Comment

      • #18
        C3nt3rMa55
        Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 222

        I load at 25gr of 335 remember its temp sensitive, my primers look great in the winter but start flattening in the summer.

        Comment

        • #19
          Solus
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 548

          sleighter higher speeds doesnt necessarily mean its more accurate. My AR 223 wylde chambered rifle cycles fine at around 24-25gn of H335 and Im using a stronger spring in my buffer tube(I switch uppers sometimes so the stronger spring was needed)
          On the blue side

          Comment

          • #20
            mindwreck
            Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 372

            Mostly like overpressure. you just jumped from 25grn to 26grns. You worked up slowly from 24 to 25 then just jumped a grain to 26 at near max load? backtrack a little and work some loads in between

            Comment

            • #21
              JagerDog
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2011
              • 15680

              Originally posted by J-cat
              Sort your brass. 223 brass weighs from 88 to 103 grains. That's a big difference in capacity.

              Work up your loads. Going from 25 to 26 is not working up. .
              ^^^^^this.

              The crimped brass is mil (Lake City?) and is thicker (less volume). So you went from commercial brass to mil brass and added a whole grain at the time.

              You have to get pretty aggressive with the deburring tool to affect primer seating. I doubt that's an issue. How does a primer fit now (after the fired one falling out)? if the primer pocket is enlarged and the brass is sticking, you're well beyond spec pressure.
              Palestine is a fake country

              No Mas Hamas



              #Blackolivesmatter

              Comment

              • #22
                Davisje011
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 556

                Yeah, it seems like an overload. I run 25.1gr of h335 under a 55gr and get flattened primers sometimes, but 26gr would be no-mans land for me.

                I've never had a problem with WSRPs.

                I would suggest you pick up a Dillon Super Swage 600 for the crimps, it's easy, fast, and safer than the deburring tool. They should have some in stock at "The Stockade" in Westminster. (I bought the last one at Phillips, sorry.)
                Brass, Brass, and Brass for Sale!!!!!!
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post12109638

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1