Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can anyone help out with .223 load data and 50g. V-max?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sammy
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3847

    Can anyone help out with .223 load data and 50g. V-max?

    I ordered some 50 grain Hornday V-max bullets and got them in today. All my .223's have 1/7 barrel twists and 16" barrels.

    Anyone have any good load data, recipies for this bullet? I have Varget, 335 and 748. Thanks, Sammy
  • #2
    mark501w
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1699

    25gr. 335 748 powder any case any primer. reduce by 10% work up. Shoots great in 1\7 twist a real squirrel killer!

    Comment

    • #3
      mls204
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 836

      FWIW, I'm loading some 50gr vmax for the first time and was planning on using Varget since that's all I got. I plan on starting with 23gr and moving up to 25.5gr with .5 increments, seating to a COL of 2.20". I trimmed all my brass back to 1.750". It's Lake City brass and Im using CCI#41 primers. My AR15 is a 16" barrel with a 1-9" twist.

      Comment

      • #4
        AlexKintner
        Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 171

        Cannot say for 1/7, but my 1/9 Remington's favorite load is Federal srp, 25.0 wc844 (335) and a 50 gr Z-max (same as V-max). Ymmv

        Comment

        • #5
          wild_weasel
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 1257

          Using data for 50gr bullets from the 2013 Hodgdon Annual I have been seeing great performance using Win 748 and Hod CFE-223 with the Hornady 50gr VMax in both my 1/8 and 1/9 Sports. I have a couple pounds of Varget on the shelf but saving it for other caliber.
          Last edited by wild_weasel; 04-11-2013, 7:57 AM.
          sigpic
          Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tbrad10
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 25

            My M400 (1:7 twist) likes 27.3 grains of Varget and 23.5 grains of 10x for the 50 grain V-Max. I've tested these loads in various AR's with different twists and they have proven accurate in all of them. I use the same loads for my CZ Varmint but seated longer. As with all new loads back off 10% and work up to the load.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1