Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help casting ingots to muffins

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • call-in
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 646

    Help casting ingots to muffins



    I bought some lead online, but when I received them, they wouldn't fit in my Lee melter. I tried using a hammer and chisel but that would not work, also tried a hacksaw and only managed to cut through an inch and a half in 30 mins.

    I'm asking my fellow Calgunners for help casting my ingots in to muffins. I would do this myself, but moving houses some months ago forced us to get rid of our old pots and pans.

    I would love to say "Please Obiwan Kenobi, your my only hope." but I would look stupid in Princess Leia's costume.
    -Colin
    ︻デ═一

    Originally posted by KillAllGuns
    Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.
  • #2
    JagerDog
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2011
    • 15699

    Can't help you, but a coarse blade would be better than a fine blade. Something like a mitre saw blade pitch.
    Palestine is a fake country

    No Mas Hamas



    #Blackolivesmatter

    Comment

    • #3
      meaty-btz
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 8980

      what alloy is that lead? Shouldn't be THAT hard to cut. A good chisel should split it in half in short order. Linotype might be tough but pure lead should be easy.

      If you are using a saw, use a mask to avoid any airborne particles you create.
      ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

      Comment

      • #4
        Dutch3
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2010
        • 14181

        How large are these ingots? You really only need to fit one end into the melter, as they melt from the bottom.

        I had a huge piece once (some sort of aircraft ballast - probably 100 lbs.) and was able to cleave some pieces off using an axe. Better to shave or cleave it than sawing. You want to avoid airborne particles.
        Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

        Comment

        • #5
          call-in
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 646

          Originally posted by meaty-btz
          what alloy is that lead? Shouldn't be THAT hard to cut. A good chisel should split it in half in short order. Linotype might be tough but pure lead should be easy.

          If you are using a saw, use a mask to avoid any airborne particles you create.
          It's just lead not an alloy, the chisel just bites into the lead without breaking it. Maybe I'm not hitting it hard enough?
          -Colin
          ︻デ═一

          Originally posted by KillAllGuns
          Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

          Comment

          • #6
            10ringshot
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 128

            A soldering torch with MAP gas works well. I melt lead with an Oxy/acetylene torch but map gas gets very hot. Put the whole thing over your pot and melt a corner and it will start falling apart.

            Comment

            • #7
              call-in
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 646

              Originally posted by Dutch3
              How large are these ingots? You really only need to fit one end into the melter, as they melt from the bottom.

              I had a huge piece once (some sort of aircraft ballast - probably 100 lbs.) and was able to cleave some pieces off using an axe. Better to shave or cleave it than sawing. You want to avoid airborne particles.
              They're just 20lb ingots but the way they were cast, they're probably 1.5 in. too wide for the mouth of the Lee 4-20.
              -Colin
              ︻デ═一

              Originally posted by KillAllGuns
              Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

              Comment

              • #8
                call-in
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 646

                Originally posted by call-in
                I'm asking my fellow Calgunners for help casting my ingots in to muffins. I would do this myself, but moving houses some months ago forced us to get rid of our old pots and pans.


                Just read my own post. lol

                No, we didn't move the house, we changed addresses.
                -Colin
                ︻デ═一

                Originally posted by KillAllGuns
                Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

                Comment

                • #9
                  latesvak
                  Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 355

                  Go get a cheap cast iron dutch oven at the thrifts store and set that on a camping stove and get a dollar muffin to from wally and your all set. I use a large c.I.d.o. and fill it . Cook over a turkey fryer and its liquid in no time . A while ago I was at Denios and found muffin tino but in the shape of small ice cube. My tin it is 3 across & 4 long when poured out they weigh in at around 1.5 lb a piece. Best of luck.


                  Luke

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rsrocket1
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 2772

                    Or get a steel cooking pot at the thrift store and a coil hot plate. Then use a ladle from the thrift store to ladle them or pour them into the muffin mold. 20 pounds does not take up that much volume and a 3-4 quart pan should be good enough. I think 20 pounds of lead is about 1 quart.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Fishslayer
                      In Memoriam
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 13035

                      Originally posted by call-in


                      Just read my own post. lol

                      No, we didn't move the house, we changed addresses.
                      "Moving house." Old skool style but correct. Sounds kinda Brit.
                      "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                      You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                      Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                      I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                      Originally posted by redcliff
                      A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        meaty-btz
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 8980

                        Originally posted by call-in
                        It's just lead not an alloy, the chisel just bites into the lead without breaking it. Maybe I'm not hitting it hard enough?
                        It won't break, it's lead. This chisel action is more like that done in forge work, it isn't to break or split it is to cut. The lead just stretches so don't expect it to crack. Also use a large enough chisel and a 12lb sledge to drive it. Or a sharp strong piece of metal, safety glasses and a 12 ton press will also accomplish the cut.

                        Or just melt one end at a time with a Mapp gas torch till it fits, use tongs (real tongs not salad tongs!) proper gloves and a face shield.
                        ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sargenv
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4620

                          Depending on the size of the ingot, I use a hatchet like a handled wedge and whack on the back of the blade (the flat part) with a 3 pound sledge.. splits any kind of lead with several whacks..

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ireload
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2589

                            Like what Meaty stated about using a torch. I'ved used my torch to cut a 25lb bar of Linotype lead so it can fit my pot.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              koehn,jim
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 643

                              Be careful if you use a dutch oven on a coleman stove, some of the grills will not take a lot of weight. They tend to bend when they get real hot. i use a cast iron plumbers pot. Try putting one end in the pot and play the torch on it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1