Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Starting to reload for my G23

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hylander
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3871

    Starting to reload for my G23

    I just couldn't stomach the price of factory PD ammo
    So I picked up some 165gr. Gold Dots and will order the Dies tonight.
    I was also thinking of trying 180gr. XTP's
    I prefer the 165's as that is what my practice ammo is, and it hits where I want.
    I have Power Pistol, Unique, Bulseye.
    I'm thinking starting with Power Pistol, as it works awsome in the .45ACP
    7.2gr. should put me alittle over 1000 Mzl. Vel.

    I know; Reloading for a Glock and PD loads at that, the World as we know it is coming to an end
    Failure is not an Option
  • #2
    JeffM
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 4359

    Originally posted by hylander
    I just couldn't stomach the price of factory PD ammo
    So I picked up some 165gr. Gold Dots and will order the Dies tonight.
    I was also thinking of trying 180gr. XTP's
    I prefer the 165's as that is what my practice ammo is, and it hits where I want.
    I have Power Pistol, Unique, Bulseye.
    I'm thinking starting with Power Pistol, as it works awsome in the .45ACP
    7.2gr. should put me alittle over 1000 Mzl. Vel.

    I know; Reloading for a Glock and PD loads at that, the World as we know it is coming to an end
    FMJs are cheaper, and cast are cheaper than that. I know you want PD (Im assuming that's "personal defence" not "police department"-which should be free anyway) ammo, but a lawsuit after a shooting is a lot more expensive than a few boxes of factory ammo. A squib or other failure could be even more costly. Load cheap stuff for practice, and use factory for carry.

    Comment

    • #3
      hylander
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3871

      A squib or other failure could be even more costly
      Another reason why I Handload.
      I have had lots of Factory ammo fail, but have never had one of my Handloads fail.
      Failure is not an Option

      Comment

      • #4
        rue
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 1355

        I still don't get why everyone recommends not to use reloads in Glocks...
        Seems to me that if you inspect the case and resize it then reload it nothing is different then if you used factory ammo right? (provided you loading and prepped the cases correctly)
        I just got some Lee dies and there is a "WARNING" saying not to use reloads in a Glock because of the unsupported barrel or whatever.
        Someone give some insight on this?
        I'm just trying to make rounds for IDPA not full power rounds or anything. I have copper plated bullets and I plan to inspect the cases carefully before reusing them.
        Originally posted by halifax
        How about the next time a kid gets suspended/expelled for simply drawing a picture of a gun. I see a federal civil rights lawsuit against the school district for violation of 1st & 2nd amendments.


        Originally posted by CA357
        I am getting old and my bull***** tolerance is rapidly diminishing.

        Comment

        • #5
          MKE
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 563

          I've been reloading .40 S&W for a second gen Glock for years. I've never experienced any problems shooting reloads through the Glock. But I only reload and shoot FMJs.

          I tried to be frugal and shot lead bool-its...I swore from that day forward (1996) that I would never put my SIGs or Glocks through that torture again. The cleaning was absolutely foul and it took forever to clean out my barrels.

          Comment

          • #6
            Franksremote
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Dec 2006
            • 992

            Originally posted by rue
            I still don't get why everyone recommends not to use reloads in Glocks...
            Seems to me that if you inspect the case and resize it then reload it nothing is different then if you used factory ammo right? (provided you loading and prepped the cases correctly)
            I just got some Lee dies and there is a "WARNING" saying not to use reloads in a Glock because of the unsupported barrel or whatever.
            Someone give some insight on this?
            I'm just trying to make rounds for IDPA not full power rounds or anything. I have copper plated bullets and I plan to inspect the cases carefully before reusing them.
            Ask an any action shooter with a Glock and they'll tell you they definately don't buy factory.

            For .40 I went to a U die to completely (and then some) get rid of the Glock unsupported buldge (the chamber doesn't cover the entire round leaving a portion of the case exposed where the pressures in the case upon firing cause it to buldge in that spot where nothing keeps it in; put a round in your barrel when it's out of the gun and you'll see lotsa brass exposed vs a supported barrel). I also like really fast powders and any setback would be bad... Be careful as always and reload away.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1