Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Garand Reloading recipe request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Citadelgrad87
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2007
    • 16980

    Garand Reloading recipe request

    The garand bug hit me hard. I have almost 2K of the Greek stuff, but as I shoot it, I find myself picking up the spent casings out of habit.

    Anyone reload for the Garand?

    I understand that there are separate charts for Garands re their dislike for hot/fast powders.

    Thanks for any recipes and other tips.
    Originally posted by tony270
    It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
    Originally posted by repubconserv
    Print it out and frame it for all I care
    Originally posted by el chivo
    I don't need to think at all..
    Originally posted by pjsig
    You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    sigpic
  • #2
    Timberwolf
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2004
    • 6275

    Here's a link to a discussion on it. Its been years since I reloaded for a Garand but IIRC my recipe was LC Match Brass, CCI primer, 47.9 IMR 4064 and 150 or 168 SMK

    I'm only smiling at you while you talk to me because it's hilarious that you really think I give a crap about you.

    As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.

    Comment

    • #3
      NRAhighpowershooter
      Super Moderator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jun 2003
      • 6485

      For general plinking and such I load 47.0 gr of either IMR4064, IMR4895, H4895 with a M2 150gr FMJ.

      For 'match' loads.. I use 46.0gr Varget and a 168gr SMK. I use either Greek or LC brass and a CCI400 primer with primer pockets uniformed and all brass trimmed from 2.484" - 2.487" and bullets seated .020" off the lands.
      'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

      Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

      Comment

      • #4
        SDJim
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 878

        Guns & Ammo Magazine did a little work on this topic here:
        sigpic
        -Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
        Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
        incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -

        Comment

        • #5
          Paratus et Vigilans
          In Memoriam
          • Nov 2006
          • 1510

          Originally posted by NRAhighpowershooter
          For general plinking and such I load 47.0 gr of either IMR4064, IMR4895, H4895 with a M2 150gr FMJ.

          For 'match' loads.. I use 46.0gr Varget and a 168gr SMK. I use either Greek or LC brass and a CCI400 primer with primer pockets uniformed and all brass trimmed from 2.484" - 2.487" and bullets seated .020" off the lands.
          Pardon my total ignorance, but how do you go about determining an "off the lands" distance for seating a bullet? I need to learn this! Up until now, I've been making my match loads by using a commercial match round and a comparator on my calipers to copy the commercial match round with my hand loads.

          Thanks in advance!
          sigpic
          Paratus et Vigilans

          Prepared and On Guard
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by Paratus et Vigilans
            how do you go about determining an "off the lands" distance for seating a bullet?
            There are several methods.
            You can neck size a case for about 0.020" of the neck and seat a bullet long.
            Then drop this in the chamber and close the bolt.
            The lands will slightly engrave the bullet as the bullet gets deep seated into the case.
            Measure the OAL of that dummy after removing it from the chamber with a dowel down the barrel and then subtract the length of the engravings on the bullet to determine where the lands start on that bullet.

            Another method is a stony point, hornady or RCBS tool specifically for the job.

            Yet another method is to close the bolt on an empty chamber and drop a rod down the bore.
            Mark the rod right AT the muzzle.
            Now drop a bullet into the chamber/throat and hold it up into the throat while dropping the rod down the bore again and making a 2nd mark.
            Measure the distance between the two marks and that will be the OAL for that bullet.

            Every bullet design is different so what you find on sierra bullets will probably not interchange with winchester, hornady or remington etc...
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Paratus et Vigilans
              In Memoriam
              • Nov 2006
              • 1510

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              There are several methods.
              You can neck size a case for about 0.020" of the neck and seat a bullet long.
              Then drop this in the chamber and close the bolt.
              The lands will slightly engrave the bullet as the bullet gets deep seated into the case.
              Measure the OAL of that dummy after removing it from the chamber with a dowel down the barrel and then subtract the length of the engravings on the bullet to determine where the lands start on that bullet.

              Another method is a stony point, hornady or RCBS tool specifically for the job.

              Yet another method is to close the bolt on an empty chamber and drop a rod down the bore.
              Mark the rod right AT the muzzle.
              Now drop a bullet into the chamber/throat and hold it up into the throat while dropping the rod down the bore again and making a 2nd mark.
              Measure the distance between the two marks and that will be the OAL for that bullet.

              Every bullet design is different so what you find on sierra bullets will probably not interchange with winchester, hornady or remington etc...
              The first method described sounds good to me! Thanks, Randall!
              sigpic
              Paratus et Vigilans

              Prepared and On Guard
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1