Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

7.62x54r Ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • biscuitninja
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 590

    7.62x54r Ammo

    I am trying to figure out barrel pressures for my 91/30 Mosin Nagant.

    The ammo I'm currently using is the Bulgarian heavy ball ammo. Any ideas?

    Some information.

    182 grain bullet

    power/propellant - Unknown - 63.9 cc volume and 47.2 cc of propellant.

    Ballistic Coefficient - .368

    Sectional Density .269

    Dia. .311

    Barrel Slugged at .309/.311

    Velocity average 2621 fps.

    any ideas let me know.
    -bix
    Sure I work on Guns ; 105, 120 and 155mm. There was that 20" though.
  • #2
    alpha_romeo_XV
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 3140

    A look at www.hodgdon.com

    Comment

    • #3
      Ironchef
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2007
      • 2313

      I think I read somewhere that the 91/30 pressure is like 75k PSI. It was in a forum where they were talking about leaks and how explosive it is in their and why it heats up so much and melts finish out of stocks.
      Fleeing the PRK on 3/8/09!!

      Comment

      • #4
        virulosity
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 1569

        54r is definitely a higher pressure round. For your purposes though, why risk it? Just start low and build your way up.

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57177

          Originally posted by biscuitninja
          I am trying to figure out barrel pressures for my 91/30 Mosin Nagant.
          While this does not answer your exact question, I can tell you that the CIP spec for 7.62x54 ammo is 3900bar, or 56,565 PSI.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57177

            Originally posted by Ironchef
            I think I read somewhere that the 91/30 pressure is like 75k PSI.
            Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              biscuitninja
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 590

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              While this does not answer your exact question, I can tell you that the CIP spec for 7.62x54 ammo is 3900bar, or 56,565 PSI.
              That's kinda the answers I was coming up with.
              There is kinda a round about conversion, to CUP, but it involves the Material/mechanical properties (modulus of elasticity and a few other items) guessing at piston size, and deformation of copper (as well as hardness)
              Anyways I came up with about 54ksi to just over 61ksi. Not a HUGE range but about 57ksi +/-3ksi (about a 5% error).

              Not exactly bad for a semi educated SWAG.
              anyways good luck
              -bix
              Sure I work on Guns ; 105, 120 and 155mm. There was that 20" though.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1