Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

what trimmer do you use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Bill Steele
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 5028

    I have a really old lathe style trimmer. I upgraded it a while back with a trick quick release, big upgrade for me. It works for my needs, but I think if I was doing it again, I would likely go the CTS, PH route.
    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

    Comment

    • #17
      gemoose23
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1079

      Possum Hallow for .223
      .308 I use a Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer
      Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
      If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

      Comment

      • #18
        baffomet
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 550

        Originally posted by the led farmer
        +1

        WFT has been very for me.
        "Mistaking consequence for cause, I call this reason's intrinsic form of corruption." - Friedrich Nietzsche

        Comment

        • #19
          dragon7
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2007
          • 576

          For most of my rifle loads I usually load less than a 50 rounds at a time I like the Wilson case trimmer. It's a solid tool. My next choice would be a Hornady.
          When doing high volume trimming like for an AR which has a ferocious appetite I started with a Possum Holllow trimmer. I liked it but soon found it too slow for high volume trimming. I bit the bullet and purchased a Giraud trimmer. The Giraud works like a tricked out electric pencil sharpener and turns out wonderfully trimmed and chamfered brass very quickly.

          Comment

          • #20
            ExtremeX
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2010
            • 7160

            CTS trimmer in both .223 and .308

            Used with either a drill press or small cordless drill depending on volume. Makes short work of trimming, I did about 1000 .223 cases in 1-2 hours as a leisurely pace.

            Sellers a pretty cool guy too.
            ExtremeX

            Comment

            • #21
              CifaldiPrecision
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Aug 2012
              • 1806

              Originally posted by madjack956
              I use a Sinclair Ultimate trimmer. its got a micrometer head and a stand.
              Same for precision loading.

              Dillon RT1200 for mass loading.
              Brett Cifaldi
              Specializing in 1911s
              Cifaldi Precision

              Comment

              • #22
                drkphibr
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 2462

                Originally posted by ducati07
                New to reloading and have fired off my first 100 rounds of reloaded 9 and now I want to step it up to my 22-250. I went to trim some cases that needed it and was not so happy with my trimmer so I took it back. I had a Redding lathe trimmer and found out that I didn't like the way it held the case and also the way it determines how much is trimmed. Maybe it was just beacuse I wasn't used to it but I thought...there has to be something better than this.

                So, what do you guys use to trim? Anything you can recommend?

                Thanks!
                Given the number/type of trimmers available, for me it would come down to cost/volume trade off. If I'm only shooting/loading a specific caliber once in while, the Lee trimmers simply can't be beat (IMO) for price/performance (either hand ball cutter or drill based - both inexpensive, but don't use headspace to measure/trim).

                If I wanted to do higher volume and save time/effort (e.g., 223 brass), I'd considering the following:
                1. Little Crow Gunworks WFT (World's finest trimmer) - mounted in your drill and trims via headspace.
                2. Possum Hollow Kwik case trimmer and drill bit mount casing - also trims via headspace

                These require a drill, so if you don't want to use a drill, I'd go the L.E. Wilson route (universal trimmer) and buy the specific caliber case holder (this also trims via headspace).

                They each have pros and cons, so it basically comes down to your usage volume and preferences (not to mention $$ willing to spend).

                Comment

                • #23
                  calixt0
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 546

                  using the lyman myself.. found it for 25 shipped used.... much more repeatable than my lee setup.. only 2 I've tried.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    morrow
                    Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 377

                    Giraud trimmer here.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      cjskalka
                      Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 458

                      Dillon RT1200 for everything. -Chris

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1