Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Any thoughts on beveling case mouths?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kappy
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2007
    • 5349

    Any thoughts on beveling case mouths?

    Does anyone have any thoughts on beveling the inside of the case mouth? I'm trying for precision in an AR. I understand that beveling will help with seating the bullet, but I'm already using a competition seater, so that shouldn't be an issue, right? I just got a new trimmer which cuts the case pretty much perfectly with nothing in the neck.

    Basically... I just want to eliminate the step because it's a pain in the *** and takes time which I don't want to spend if it isn't doing any good.
    Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
  • #2
    GeoffLinder
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 2425

    This typically is called "chamfering" and is a very good practice for match grade ammo and even for plinking rounds because it lets the bullet seat more gently and without insult to it's jacket :-)

    Especially important as part of the case trimming process as it fixes the "square and ragged" case mouth syndrome most trimmers leave behind.

    Comment

    • #3
      Bill Steele
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 5028

      Originally posted by GeoffLinder
      This typically is called "chamfering" and is a very good practice for match grade ammo and even for plinking rounds because it lets the bullet seat more gently and without insult to it's jacket :-)

      Especially important as part of the case trimming process as it fixes the "square and ragged" case mouth syndrome most trimmers leave behind.
      I agree. I also given the case mouth a good brushing with a bore brush as a final step before loading.
      When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1