Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

short & fat vs long & skinny

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • draconianruler
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1590

    short & fat vs long & skinny

    Is there a accuracy advantage of having a short and fat cartridge vs. a long and skinny one? Seems like some of the newer cartridges are short and fat (6.5 grendel comes to mind).
    sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER
  • #2
    Big O
    Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 379

    I don't claim to know much about ballistics, but aerodynamically the smaller the diameter, the less drag it produces because it's pushing less air out of the way. If you taper off the back like on a Prius, that's even better.

    Comment

    • #3
      rksimple
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2006
      • 6257

      Originally posted by Big O
      I don't claim to know much about ballistics, but aerodynamically the smaller the diameter, the less drag it produces because it's pushing less air out of the way. If you taper off the back like on a Prius, that's even better.
      I think he's talking about the entire cartridge, not the bullet.

      Theoretically, yes. Short and fat cases aid in consistent powder ignition. The normally associated sharper shoulders and longer necks are also said to help accuracy.
      GAP Team Shooter 5

      Comment

      • #4
        draconianruler
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 1590

        Originally posted by rksimple
        I think he's talking about the entire cartridge, not the bullet.

        Theoretically, yes. Short and fat cases aid in consistent powder ignition. The normally associated sharper shoulders and longer necks are also said to help accuracy.
        Yeah I was talking about the entire cartridge or really just the brass, I guess I should have been more specific.

        Makes sense about consistent powder ignition. I didn't think about that
        sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

        Comment

        • #5
          emc002
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 2331

          Wow, I thought for sure this was going to be about something else. Suprised to see no Soldier415 comment yet!

          +1 on aiding powder iginition (uniformity).
          "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

          "I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey

          Comment

          • #6
            StraightShooter
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2007
            • 2189

            The grendel and short mag types of rounds help in consistent powder burn but from what I have experienced, the targer the diameter of the rear of the case (the shoulder) the snappier the recoil. Comparing my .300 wsm to a regular .300 win mag this was quite apparent.

            Brandon M.

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57177

              The sharper shoulders help more powder to burn within the case vs. burning down the barrel.
              This is thought to improve the consistency of burn and hence the consistency of the ammo.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57177

                Originally posted by emc002
                Suprised to see no Soldier415 comment yet!
                This thread is just ripe for Soldier415, but Stormfeather tells me that Soldier is short and skinny.
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  emc002
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 2331

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  This thread is just ripe for Soldier415, but Stormfeather tells me that Soldier is short and skinny.
                  Ah, yes, their Turkish prison days...
                  Last edited by emc002; 02-28-2008, 4:09 PM.
                  "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

                  "I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ViPER395
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 7860

                    Originally posted by Rainbow Warrior
                    Liberals didn't invent douchebaggery but they certainly perfected it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SVRider
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 1914

                      Site is down until midnight today for maintenance it appears, but just look at one of the premier accuracy rounds:

                      Best site for precision rifle accuracy and accurate cartridge shooting. AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com has 223 243 308 6mm accuracy reloading data. Benchrest, Tactical, Varmint, High Power precision Shooting. Rifle accuracy tips. Scopes optics. Ballistics. Winchester Lapua brass. Match calendar. 223 6mm 6.5mm 308 components (.243 bullets, 6mm 308 223 7mm barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, tools, gunsmiths. Articles on reloading, benchrest, F-class, gunsmiths, and varminting.
                      FOR SALE:

                      Check back later

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1