Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Loading .223 For Stevens 200

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ugly Dwarf
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 1121

    Loading .223 For Stevens 200

    Wondering if anyone on the board has had any experience loading .223 for a Stevens 200.

    I've had one for a couple years. It has been a low priority working up a load, but I have tried a number of different bullet / charge combinations, with nothing doing particularly great. I probably shouldn't complain about 1.5-2" groups in a <$300 gun, but by all accounts I've read this gun should be able to shoot better. Also, with the light contour barrel, anything more than about a round a minute causes it to heat up and the groups really open up, so I need to make them count.

    Specifically, I've tried 52, 55, 60, 62 and 69 grain bullets. I've been pushing them with Data 2200 surplus powder (I don't have the different charge weights at hand, but I typically start with 10 rounds of five different charges between 90% - 100% of posted data).

    Something that has made a difference in my model 700 has been seating the bullet closer to the rifling. Has anyone found their 200 likes this?

    Has anyone found any particular bullet weight thrives in this barrel? How about powder choices. I typically load with Accurate Arms, but have also worked with IMR in the past and am not afraid to try something else.

    I'm planning to make this gun a priority this Spring and wanted to get a little feedback before I settle down for my next loading sessions.

    Thanks,

    Dwarf
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57179

    Every gun is just a little different.
    I could tell you that one of the first AR barrels I made worked great with 23.0gr of AA2200 under winchester 55gr FMJ's, but this would not help you much.
    10 rounds went under 1/2" at 50yds which is quite amazing for crappy bullets.
    I guess it says a lot about a high quality barrel though.

    Lesson to be learned is that only YOU can develop your own best loads.
    Get some more powders.
    Buy high quality bullets.
    Get a chronograph.
    Watch for low ES.
    Then start tweaking bullet seating length as the final adjustment.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      1911su16b870
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Dec 2006
      • 7654

      If you are looking at a 1 in 12-in twist barrel, the best bullet dope I have received on that combo is as follows:
      100-200 yards
      1. 53gr HP Matchking
      2. 50gr Blitzking (IMO Hornady's V-max is similar)
      3. 52gr HPBT Matchking
      4. 50gr Blitz
      over 200 yards
      200-1. 55gr Blitzking
      200-2. 65gr Spitzer Boat Tail (IMO Gameking)
      I'm just now starting to work out a loading for 1 and 2 above with Varget.
      Last edited by 1911su16b870; 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM. Reason: Deleted confusing 22-250 link.
      "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

      NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
      GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
      Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
      I instruct it if you shoot it.

      Comment

      • #4
        Ugly Dwarf
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2007
        • 1121

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        Every gun is just a little different.
        True enough. I've seen this personally when handloads that shoot consistantly tight in my Wby don't do nearly as well in another rifle just like mine (same make, model, barrel, etc...).

        I was looking to see if anyone else had has similar issues (trying different weight bullet's / different charge weights - nothing really standing out) with this model / caliber.

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        Lesson to be learned is that only YOU can develop your own best loads.
        Get some more powders.
        Buy high quality bullets.
        Get a chronograph.
        Watch for low ES.
        Then start tweaking bullet seating length as the final adjustment.
        Good suggestions.

        I got a chrono in January. I've only had it out to the range once since then, but plan to use it in this load development.

        Just to confirm, when you say "Watch for low ES", you're talking about Extreme Spread? Percentage wise, what seems reasonable or low? For something traveling 3000 FPS (obviously this will change with bullet weight), does an ES of 100 FPS seem low, medium, way to high?

        I have been mentally putting a Natchez order together for some Berger VLD 80's, Hornady A-Max and V-Max's in 52 and 60 grains, and am looking for something in the 69 - 70 grain weight range (the Berger 70's I had planned to order are sold out). Any suggestions in this weight range?

        I know I've got some AA2460 on the shelf and maybe I'll look for a pound of a couple different powders when I chime in for the Powder Valley Group Buy going on right now.

        From talking this through in my head (and reading your reply), I'm starting to suspect this gun doesn't like AA 2200.

        Thanks

        Comment

        • #5
          Ugly Dwarf
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 1121

          Originally posted by 1911su16b870
          If you are looking at a 1 in 12-in twist barrel, the best bullet dope I have received on that combo is as follows:
          100-200 yards
          1. 53gr HP Matchking
          2. 50gr Blitzking (IMO Hornady's V-max is similar)
          3. 52gr HPBT Matchking
          4. 50gr Blitz
          over 200 yards
          200-1. 55gr Blitzking
          200-2. 65gr Spitzer Boat Tail (IMO Gameking)
          I'm just now starting to work out a loading for 1 and 2 above with Varget.

          http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...=105971.5;wap2
          1911su16b870,

          Thanks for the link and the info.

          I noted this info was for a 22-250. I assume you saw this too, but wanted to make sure you weren't trying to cram those kinds of powder charges into a .223 case.

          Good luck with the load work up.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by Ugly Dwarf
            Just to confirm, when you say "Watch for low ES", you're talking about Extreme Spread? Percentage wise, what seems reasonable or low? For something traveling 3000 FPS (obviously this will change with bullet weight), does an ES of 100 FPS seem low, medium, way to high?
            Yes.

            I like to see ES be under 30fps if possible on my 2900fps 308 loads, even though 80 seems to be more common with the Varget that I am using.
            There's no real specific number or percentage though.
            The lower the better.
            Without shooting several groups for each load on paper, you won't really know how they perform.
            If you can find a few specific loads with a low ES, those are the ones to keep experimenting with and tuning after seeing how they perform on paper.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Ugly Dwarf
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 1121

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              Yes.

              I like to see ES be under 30fps if possible on my 2900fps 308 loads, even though 80 seems to be more common with the Varget that I am using.
              There's no real specific number or percentage though.
              The lower the better.
              Without shooting several groups for each load on paper, you won't really know how they perform.
              If you can find a few specific loads with a low ES, those are the ones to keep experimenting with and tuning after seeing how they perform on paper.
              Thanks for the suggestions.

              ES is a factor I was planning to watch, but I'll give it greater consideration. It makes sense, the more consistant the velocity, the more consistant the arc the bullet will fly (theoretically). Prior to getting the chrony, I had to rely on finding powders that I could throw consistant charges with and trust I would have consistant ignition.

              I typically start with 10 rounds of five different powder charges, ranging between 90% - 100% of max charge (monitoring brass and primers for signs of overpressure). I shoot two groups of three and one of four for pattern (now I'll be adding the factor of putting my shots over the chrony). Anything that stands out (< 1.25"), get's a revisit my next time at the reloading bench.

              Does this seem like a reasonable test bed for intial work-ups? It's proven successful in previous guns (pre-chrony), but I wonder if that was science or luck.

              Regarding powders (earlier post in this thread), I'm figuring to try H335 and TAC. I've read good things about Varget, but also hear it's an extruded powder and know my powder bar can measure +/- .2 grains with those (at least on magnum charges). Have you had any experience with those two?

              Comment

              • #8
                1911su16b870
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Dec 2006
                • 7654

                Originally posted by Ugly Dwarf
                1911su16b870,

                Thanks for the link and the info.

                I noted this info was for a 22-250. I assume you saw this too, but wanted to make sure you weren't trying to cram those kinds of powder charges into a .223 case.

                Good luck with the load work up.
                Thanks Dwarf. I am working up a 223 Remington load, and did not realize you were doing a 22-250.
                "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                I instruct it if you shoot it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ugly Dwarf
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 1121

                  Originally posted by 1911su16b870
                  Thanks Dwarf. I am working up a 223 Remington load, and did not realize you were doing a 22-250.
                  Negative. You had it right the first time. I too am loading .223.

                  The link you referenced in your post ( http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...=105971.5;wap2 ) was for loading .22-250. Those would prove very stout loads in a .223.

                  If you've got a Stevens 200, your .223 will probably have a 1 in 9 twist (at least mine does). The 50 and 52 grain bullets in your link may be on the light side of ideal, but I expect they would work just fine.
                  Last edited by Ugly Dwarf; 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM. Reason: corrected link

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    1911su16b870
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 7654

                    10-4 copy that Dwarf. You are loading a 1 in 9 Stevens 200 in 223! My data is for a 1 in 12 and is not relevant to a 1 in 9 barrel! FWIW I deleted the confusing link from my previous post.
                    "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                    NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                    GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                    Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                    I instruct it if you shoot it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by Ugly Dwarf
                      Does this seem like a reasonable test bed for intial work-ups?
                      Yes.

                      No experience with Tac, but H335 meters really nice.
                      Extruded powders will often be less temperature sensetive.
                      Varget often shows higher ES than desireable, but the accuracy does not seem to show problems like you would expect.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Ugly Dwarf
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 1121

                        Randall,

                        Thanks for the input. We'll see how it works out, assuming I can find time for the bench and the range.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1