Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question - Lee case prep kits

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gemini1
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 2230

    Question - Lee case prep kits

    So I'm done sizing/depriming 223 brass. I'm now on the trimming stage and I'm a little lost with these Lee trimming kits, I screwed in the case lenght gauge into the cutter and hand tightened it, then screwed in the shell holder in the lock stud.
    But if I place a case in the shell holder and tighten the stud, and insert the case lenght gauge, the casings are not long enough to reach the cutter. The pin of the case lenght gauge is hitting the lock stud.
    Am I doing something wrong? right now I'm just trimming it without using the shell holder
    My cases are around 1.765" and the manual max states it should only be 1.760"
  • #2
    GravityGear
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 43

    It doesn't need trimming.

    Comment

    • #3
      BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2009
      • 7079

      ^^^

      Rifle brass does not always require trimming. Only if it has become too long to chamber. If you check the length with a caliper you should find it is within specs(found in your loading manual). If not make certain the case length gauge is fully threaded in.
      "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

      Comment

      • #4
        gemini1
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 2230

        I did check the lenght with a caliper. The manual that came with the pacesetter dies shows a casing with max OAL of 1.760, I have some casings that are over 1.770"
        What I'm wondering about is why the case lenght gauge pin that goes out the primer hole is long enough, that if I place a casing in the shell holder with the lock stud, it would not trim a case that is longer than 1.760?

        The instruction I saw online only says to hand tighten the gauge in the cutter, maybe I should use a plier to screw it in further?
        Last edited by gemini1; 11-08-2012, 4:50 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          Dutch3
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2010
          • 14181

          You need to make sure the gauge pin is seated completely against the cutter. There shouldn't be any visible gap between the shoulder on the threaded end of the pin and the cutter.

          I have found they tend to get fouled with brass shavings and dust which will affect how well they seat against the cutter.
          Last edited by Dutch3; 11-08-2012, 5:13 PM.
          Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

          Comment

          • #6
            BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2009
            • 7079

            Do not use pliers to tighten the gauge, You may mar it up. The diameter of the shaft is also for keeping the case centered and aligned. I would use a caliper to measure the tip of the pin to the cutter blade surface (edge) If it shows too long you can file down the pin to get the trim length in spec.

            If you can post a pick of the cutter and the gauge.
            "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

            Comment

            • #7
              BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2009
              • 7079

              Do not use pliers to tighten the gauge, You may mar it up. The diameter of the shaft is also for keeping the case centered and aligned. I would use a caliper to measure the tip of the pin to the cutter blade surface (edge) If it shows too long you can file down the pin to get the trim length in spec.

              If you can post a pick of the cutter and the gauge.
              "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1