Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DIY Brass Catcher

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kylix.rd
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 79

    DIY Brass Catcher

    Life sometimes has a way of interfering with plans; I had hoped to be done with the brass catcher project by now. I lieu of waiting until then, I thought I'd post the progress so far.

    I'm basing the design on this commercially available brass catcher. I used one at Reeds indoor range in Santa Clara, and it is nice because it can be set on the table in the shooting lane, or it can be attached to a tripod if a table isn't available. The height is adjustable and it collapses to a reasonable size. Yes, there are other table top catchers, but since I was able to closely examine this one I used it as the basis for my design.

    I knew I wanted it to have a telescoping central support, so I headed to the hardware store to look at their metal bar, tube, and rod stock. I discovered that a 3/8" solid steel zinc coated rod nested nicely into a 1/2" square steel tube stock. I also got 3/16" zinc coated rod stock for the hoop. Here's the metal materials:


    I started with the central support. The commercial product uses a cam-lock for the telescoping central support. I opted for a very simple thumb screw lock. The central support is 16" cut from the square tube stock. I then drilled a 1/4" hole about about 1" from one end. I then welded a 1/4-20 nut over that hold into which the thumb screw is placed.


    Yes, folks the welds suck... I'm using this project to learn the welder at the same time. In later photos, I'd already used an angle-grinder and smoothed out the welds, so they look much better.

    On the opposite open end of the tube, I welded on another 1/4-20 nut over the open end. This end will screw onto the base or can even be attached to a tripod since most use 1/4-20 screws.


    Next I worked on the base. The base is a 10"x7" rectangle constructed from the same 1/2" tube stock as the central support. I cut two 10" pieces and three 6" pieces. Using simple butt-welds, I made the rectangle. In the center cross-member, I drilled a 1/4" hole all the way through. Then inserted a large, pan-headed screw and welded the head to the cross member. This is the raw result.


    For the extension rod, I cut a peice of the solid 3/8" stock 20" long. To one end I welded a small steel tube crosswise. I used a rolled steel spacer with a 1/4" center. I tried to find one 3/16", but it wasn't available. The 3/16" rod will fit in here with thumb screws to keep them in place. Here it is in all its welded ugliness.


    I drilled and tapped two 10-24 holes into the steel spacer. In went two thumb screws. Here's the bottom support, the central support and telescoping insert assembled.


    Next is the support hoop for the catch net. I used 3/16" solid zinc coated steel rod. The hoop will be 15"x12". Since the rods only came in 3' sections, I had to make two separate halves. I took another spacer and just drilled and tapped two 10-24 holes similar to the one forming the central "T". In this case I used smaller set-screws with an Allen wrench. Here's the two halves bent that were just bent.


    Here's the top coupler for the two halves.


    Here's the hoop inserted into the central support "T"


    And here's the full project so far.


    Since these photos were taken, I've smoothed out most of the welds and am fitting little rubber feet on the bottom support. The bottom and center support will be painted black. For the net, I'll use and modify a mesh bag such as a laundry bag or lingerie bag and attach it to the hoop. I'm also looking at adding another hoop that attaches to the main hoop that will swing out perpendicularly and support the mesh netting out from the bottom of the vertical hoop. This will form an angled back stop that should deflect the flying brass shell casing down and into the net. This is similar to the commercial one I referenced above.

    Once I make more progress I'll make another post with more photos.
    Last edited by kylix.rd; 10-10-2012, 10:40 PM.
  • #2
    Colt562
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2012
    • 5271

    looks very nice
    Originally posted by bruceflinch
    Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
    Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

    Comment

    • #3
      damndave
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2008
      • 10858

      Pretty nice!

      Here's mine! LOL

      Comment

      • #4
        SouthCoastTargets
        Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 357

        great work, ill stick with mine though:




        Originally posted by AlliedArmory
        Pretty nice!

        Here's mine! LOL


        OMG i cant stop laughing, its not even that funny but..........

        Comment

        • #5
          Na-vah-duh
          Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 382

          Looks good

          Comment

          • #6
            JNunez23
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 2755

            ^^^^WOW, UPS huh? Lol
            sigpic"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
            John Wooden

            Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!

            Comment

            • #7
              SouthCoastTargets
              Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 357

              Originally posted by JNunez23
              ^^^^WOW, UPS huh? Lol
              yeah we mock him mercilessly, fortunately hes a good sport

              Comment

              • #8
                kylix.rd
                Junior Member
                • Sep 2012
                • 79

                It is becoming increasingly clear that I've over-engineered this thing .

                Comment

                • #9
                  intheknow
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 726

                  Originally posted by kylix.rd
                  It is becoming increasingly clear that I've over-engineered this thing .
                  LOL still its beautiful
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SouthCoastTargets
                    Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 357

                    Originally posted by kylix.rd
                    It is becoming increasingly clear that I've over-engineered this thing .
                    meh....... to each his own.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JNunez23
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 2755

                      Originally posted by SouthCoastTargets
                      yeah we mock him mercilessly, fortunately hes a good sport
                      LOL!! oh man, I didn't know that was you in the video, and you know the guy!

                      That just raised the comedic level for me!
                      sigpic"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
                      John Wooden

                      Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        drkphibr
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 2462

                        Originally posted by kylix.rd
                        And here's the full project so far.
                        Nice job, looks familiar ;-)

                        If I had the tools and metal fab skills, I would have done mine in a material other than PVC.

                        Attached Files

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kylix.rd
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 79

                          Originally posted by drkphibr
                          Nice job, looks familiar ;-)

                          If I had the tools and metal fab skills, I would have done mine in a material other than PVC.
                          That's spooky...

                          Yours looks really nice. Very similar, even down to the height adjustment.

                          As far as the metal fab skills... I'm not sure I'd call what I have a "skill" ;-). I know enough to be dangerous.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            chozenfew805
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 5008

                            Make sure you get some some pics and vids of it in action!
                            ....I will support and defend The Constitution of The United States of America...


                            Comment

                            • #15
                              drkphibr
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 2462

                              Originally posted by kylix.rd
                              That's spooky...

                              Yours looks really nice. Very similar, even down to the height adjustment.

                              As far as the metal fab skills... I'm not sure I'd call what I have a "skill" ;-). I know enough to be dangerous.
                              I had the same thought (spooky!).

                              We also put the "T-bar" (adjustable [non cemented extension] at the top of the frame so when then net hangs, it won't hang flat (brass bouncing back at you) and will give the net some depth (like a tent pole) so there is space/volume for the brass to pop into to and not meet any resistance.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1