Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Powder for .40 & 45acp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jvpark
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1793

    Powder for .40 & 45acp

    Is there one powder you wour recommend for 40 and 45 acp?




    Bodyguard .380 FS/T

  • #2
    ExtremeX
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 7160

    I have not loaded any pistol rounds yet... but I plan on using W231
    ExtremeX

    Comment

    • #3
      CalTeacher
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 828

      231, unique, universal clays, titegroup, etc. you can use pretty much any pistol powder besides 2400 and h110 in both of those cartridges. Visit hodgdon.com to see a list of load data for a lot of common pistol powders.

      Comment

      • #4
        rsrocket1
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 2772

        You didn't have any other criteria such as max velocity, what purpose, what bullets so here are a few choices:
        For best performance with very low recoiling loads that build up enough pressure to expand the brass and seal off the gases, Red Dot or Clays. Clays burns faster and more completely. 2.5 to 4 grains is all you need and all you can use before you get to max pressures. 500-800 fps is all you will be able to achieve before reaching those max pressures.

        For mid range loads, Universal, Unique, Bullseye. If you try to down load them for lighter recoiling loads, they'll work, but will leave unburned powder, blowback of gases in your face and sooty cases. At full pressure loads, they burn completely although Bullseye is still pretty sooty (Unique and Universal less so), it cleans up easily and quickly. Unique has bigger flakes and some people complain about it not metering well, but I've never had a problem with it. Unique is also one of the more forgiving powders in that it builds up pressure gradually as you increase loads. It would probably be the best powder for a beginner to start with.

        I personally use Clays for the light loads and Bullseye or Unique for the full speed loads. This is for 45ACP, 40 S&W and 38/357.

        Comment

        • #5
          secret.asian.man
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 744

          231 or wsf, they are both pretty much identical

          If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
          WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!


          sigpic

          ammo donations accepted here!

          Comment

          • #6
            kurac
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 2917

            I burn W231, and I see no reason to change
            www.culinagrips.com
            "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

            Comment

            • #7
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Originally posted by secret.asian.man
              231 or wsf, they are both pretty much identical
              In what way?
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #8
                mjmagee67
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 2771

                Power Pistol works well in both. A little snappy but gives good velocity. I use 6.6gr in both with a 230gr pill in 45 and a 180gr pill in 40. For a reduced load in 40 6.0gr works very well. Power Pistol is a clean burning powder too.
                If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MIAMIbaseballer
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 791

                  231
                  It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BajaJames83
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 6041

                    Ive used Titegroup, reddot, green dot, bullseye for both with good results. the red and green dot werent ideal ran a little dirty, but i found data for the powder/ bullet combo so i made a few loads. red and green dot are pretty cheap and easy to come by.
                    NRA Endowment Life Member
                    USMC 2001-2012

                    Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                    John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                    James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      fal_762x51
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 2732

                      The only pistol powder I use now is HP-38. To me it is the cheapest and most universal pistol powder.
                      sigpic

                      Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        chrometip78
                        Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 301

                        I like unique for full power 45 and bullseye for plinking 45.

                        Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sjg1966
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 1047

                          231 or Unique. I have both and use 231 most. Going to try AA #5 next.

                          Steve
                          Watch Astro steal brass and take it into his cage....
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B_pd-yRWE&hd=1

                          Glock 20C at indoor range....
                          http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CGT80
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 2981

                            231/hp-38 sucks for almost all pistol rounds. Especially: 9mm, 38spl, 44spl, 44mag, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45LC. If you buy any, just send it to me and I will put it away with the other 35 pounds of it that I am hording.
                            He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              deac777
                              Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 366

                              I would go with 231

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1