Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Concentric Reloading Results
Collapse
X
-
Tag for later.
Shop Amazon and contribute to CGF! 
click this link before going to amazon.com
http://www.shop42a.com
sigpic
www.appleseedinfo.org
"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson -
I use a CoAx and a Redding seating die and when seating the bullet I do a double...once seat and then about a 180 degree turn for the second seat. When using my Hornady to check concentric I have noticed less than 2 in 100 need any work to get em within 2 degrees, which is my gtg.May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I amComment
-
RE press
The Forester Co-Ax uses cam operated plates that grab the extractor groove as you raise the handle. The die also floats as the lock ring basically slips into a horizontal slot cut into the side of the press body. All the monkey motion allows the case walls to center everything up as they enter the die. In theory, it should be the easiest way to get the neck and case walls parallel. Its great if you shoot gas guns that may beat up the rim a bit.
In practice, I don't notice much difference between my 550 the Co-Ax and the old Hornady (Pacific) single stage on my other bench. Most shell holders have a little built in slop, providing the die is parallel to the ram, any fairly rigid press should do fine.
Sorting my cases after sizing based on resistance felt coming out of the die has done more to shrink my groups than any other magic trick. Consistent neck tension/bullet pull makes a bigger difference in my experience compared to uniforming the pockets, deburing the flash holes, weighing the cases ect. but YMMV.Comment
-
I have owned and used a good number of presses in the almost 30 years of reloading ,4 lyman ,5 rcbs , 6 lee , a dillon and a hollywood but currently i load on a lee press , My runout is kept to under .002 on .22 centerfire cases , I start the bullet and then raise the ram and turn the case 180 degrees and then seat the bullet about 1/2 way and then raise the ram and turn the bullet 90 degrees and seat the bullet to about 3/4 the way and raise the ram and turn it 180 degrees again and then finish seating .this method can not be used in a progressive
I have done alot testing and shoot with a group that has reloaded for alot years with the same results , as stated above the case prep and the quality of the dies is more important than the brand of press . I have gotton better results with the shell holder loose and letting it self center in the die.Last edited by 22popnsplat; 07-21-2012, 4:45 PM.Comment
-
I've read all the Bonanza sales promos. I know how they are supposed to work. I was just hoping that someone could validate it one way or another. And, that they could have proven it to be fact by an actual comparison. I appreciate everyone's ideas, but it looks like for the specific answers that I am looking for, I will have to break down and make the purchase and try it. I am aware of how much difference the dies make. I am aware of most of the tricks of the trade to achieving the maximum accuracy. And, and I think everyone here is trying to tell me that the press doesn't make that much difference. But, you know how it is when you got a burr up your butt and you just need to know.Comment
-
I will have to say that in regards to case prep, the is a lot of case prep that is just a "feel good" type of thing. Things such as cleaning priming pockets every time. Uniforming priming pockets. Sorting cases by headstamp and then going further and sorting by weight. I have verified these things make very little difference in the accuracy department. Weighing bullets, weighing powder, sure they make a difference. Sorting my neck tension feel, I agree with that one. But, I do like to shoot. And, spending more time reloading than shooting never agrees with me. Some things just gotta go.Comment
-
re
I have a Co-Ax, A Dillon 550, A Hornady (Pacific) and a Lyman turret. I can tell you from personal experience that the press makes little to no difference on the target from my rifles. I would guess that super long range or bench rest guys with trued actions and Krieger barrels made of unobtanium might see a difference, maybe but I doubt if anything I own has a trurly concentric chamber. I really wish I could validate the co-ax (which I do really like) as it is a really nice machine but the truth is, if my shooting partner hadn't got one, I would still be using the pacific...
One thing the co-ax has over the rest of mine is leverage. Having squished my fair share of "once fired" lake city .308, I can honestly say that the Forester is able to bump the shoulder back on cases that my others will not. It may be that you can actually get the die lower.Comment
-
Come to think of it, if your cases are designed with any taper toward the neck, I would guess that as soon as you start to lower the case out of the sizing die, the case walls would cease to align the neck. That would mean that the relationship between the extractor groove and the case neck has more to do with case runout than anything else.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,159
Posts: 25,145,027
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,525
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 41576 users online. 115 members and 41461 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment