Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What would you start off with loading .223?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    mjmagee67
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2771

    I personally like the 55Gr soft points I find for blasting ammo they are as good as the FMJ of V-Max/Z-Max. The just don't look as cool but they shot well. I have read online that people with scoped guns are getting as good groups with the as SP's as the V-Max's. YMMV but I like'em.





    Originally posted by sammy
    So what do you all think of the Hornady 55 grain soft point bullets as far as accuracy? That bullet with 748 looks like a good combination. The price is right too.
    If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

    Comment

    • #17
      em9sredbeam
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 3429

      tagged. I have used Montana Gold for 9 and 45, and it is excellent.
      Stupid people; They're breeding.

      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Si vis pacem, para bellum

      ╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.

      Comment

      • #18
        sargenv
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4620

        There are other reasons for using fmj-bt's.. the main reason I use a bt bullet base is that they drop right into the case without much risk of getting my fingertips pinched.. Flat based 223's need you to chamfer the case mouth making the case mouth very sharp.. boat tailed bullets drop right into an unchamfered case mouth.. If you are only loading 100 in a single stage, this isn't such a big deal, but if you are loading 223's on a progressive (dillon 550, 650, 1050, hornady pro-jector, or equiv..) well, it's all about production.. and the less contact my hands have around the case mouth, the better. I'll load my precision stuff on a single stage, but for blasting ammo or anything inside 200 yards, I load it on a progressive, and I like to keep my finger tips from getting pinched..

        Hornady's in the 6000 pack are good.. but Montana Golds are just fine also. They are both a pretty good deal for bulk bullet purchases.

        Comment

        • #19
          sammy
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • 3847

          Thanks everyone!!

          Here is my shopping list

          CCI #41 primers
          Hornady 55 grain soft point
          Hornady 60 grain fmj
          Winchester 748 powder
          Dillon carbide die set
          trimmer, de burr tools and lots of other stuff.

          The trimmer is backordered until mid month but should be ready to rock if I can talk Bruceflinch into trimming some brass for me.

          I will update later!!

          Sammy

          Comment

          • #20
            lpspinner
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1164

            Originally posted by sammy

            The trimmer is backordered until mid month but should be ready to rock if I can talk Bruceflinch into trimming some brass for me.

            I will update later!!

            Sammy

            hmmm, hey Bruce, I have about 500 rounds that need to be trimmed. The brass is already primed. Can I come over too?
            Some guys like their powder like their women, hot, cheap, dirty, that would be TiteGroup. -CocoBolo

            Comment

            • #21
              LexLuther
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 838

              I started on a 650 with A2230 and Montana gold 55 gr...great combo all around.
              "I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett

              Comment

              • #22
                bruceflinch
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 40155

                Originally posted by sammy
                Thanks everyone!!

                Here is my shopping list

                CCI #41 primers
                Hornady 55 grain soft point
                Hornady 60 grain fmj
                Winchester 748 powder
                Dillon carbide die set
                trimmer, de burr tools and lots of other stuff.

                The trimmer is backordered until mid month but should be ready to rock if I can talk Bruceflinch into trimming some brass for me.

                I will update later!!

                Sammy
                Originally posted by lpspinner
                hmmm, hey Bruce, I have about 500 rounds that need to be trimmed. The brass is already primed. Can I come over too?
                Priming before trimming?
                I only have a standard Lyman hand trimmer. It's ugly to use. BUt you can use it. I'd invest in a WFT or Possum Hollow if on a budget. Last batch I did I borrowed a Dillon trimmer from a Pal.

                Sammy, you could have bought your primers & powder @ USI. Did you buy 1 lb ea?
                USI sells both 4064 & 4895.
                Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                Secret Club Member?.

                Comment

                • #23
                  bigdawg86
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 3554

                  I started off loading with BL-C(2) powder and 55g FMJ BT because that's what was given to me... I never worked up the load for accuracy because finding a 100 yard spot hasn't happened for me living in the Inland Empire. I just made several sample loads to make sure my gun would at least cycle them well... I ended up with a modest 26gr BL-C(2) with the 55g projectile. This is just plinking ammo and have yet to truly test at or beyond 100 yards so your mileage may vary.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    lpspinner
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 1164

                    Originally posted by bruceflinch
                    Priming before trimming?
                    I only have a standard Lyman hand trimmer. It's ugly to use. BUt you can use it. I'd invest in a WFT or Possum Hollow if on a budget. Last batch I did I borrowed a Dillon trimmer from a Pal.
                    Long story, I ended up receiving about 500 reloads and I decided they needed to have a little more punch, so I pulled the heads. Being as anal about this, I decide to neck size them (with the decapper pin removed) and now I want to trim them.
                    Some guys like their powder like their women, hot, cheap, dirty, that would be TiteGroup. -CocoBolo

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      sammy
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 3847

                      Originally posted by bruceflinch
                      Priming before trimming?
                      I only have a standard Lyman hand trimmer. It's ugly to use. BUt you can use it. I'd invest in a WFT or Possum Hollow if on a budget. Last batch I did I borrowed a Dillon trimmer from a Pal.

                      Sammy, you could have bought your primers & powder @ USI. Did you buy 1 lb ea?
                      USI sells both 4064 & 4895.
                      Thanks for the offer Bruce. For now I will sort out some if my brass that is in spec and load those first.

                      I got 8 lbs of the 748 and 5000 primers with 2000 of the 55 grain v-max's.

                      At this point i am not concerned with super accurate ammo. The shooting I do is all offhand with iron sights anyway. If I had match grade stuff it would not matter.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        bruceflinch
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 40155

                        Originally posted by lpspinner
                        Long story, I ended up receiving about 500 reloads and I decided they needed to have a little more punch, so I pulled the heads. Being as anal about this, I decide to neck size them (with the decapper pin removed) and now I want to trim them.
                        I see! My Lyman trimmer uses the flash hole to index center of the case for trimming, so that won't work. I'd get a PH for now, in your case. Keep the primer end up so you don't get any shavings inside the case mixing w/ your powder!
                        Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                        I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                        Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                        Secret Club Member?.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          problemchild
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 6959

                          My cost on pulled powder, wolf primers, w/new hornady bullets, is 12.2 cents each for loaded .223

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            CptDan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 519

                            I'm on my 3rd pound of CFE223 and I really like it. My fav load for my Mberg MVP and my Savage 12FV is 60 grain Sierra HP with 26 grains of CFE, Federal Match Primers. These are both 1 in 9 barrels. My AR's are 1 in 8 and they like the 69 grain Sierra Match kings with 25.5 of CFE...... Other powders that I've tried Varget, Reloader 15, AR Comp, H335 and BLC-2, TAC and XBR8208

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1