Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR-15 5.56 Primers... CCI # 41

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ExtremeX
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 7160

    AR-15 5.56 Primers... CCI # 41

    I'm looking to make my first primer purchase.

    I understand these primers are for firearms with floating firing pin to help prevent slam fires.

    Does anyone else make primers that fit this criteria? I dont mind buying a few different brands and trying them out...

    Also, does anyone make "match grade" primers for floating firing pins?
    ExtremeX
  • #2
    NotEnufGarage
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2010
    • 4832

    This should answer all your questions ;



    and this ;

    223 Rem Guide for .223 Remington reloading, 223 Rem accuracy, .223 Rem hunting, 223 AI and 5.56x45 rifles. 223 Remington Brass, 22 bullets, powder, primers and loading dies for .223 Remington. Ballistics drop chart for .223 Rem, .223 Ackley AI, 2-250. 223 Remington Black rifle, service rifle, .224 bullets, accurizing, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.
    Last edited by NotEnufGarage; 06-16-2012, 7:09 AM.
    sigpic
    NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

    "Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
    Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
    Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

    The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.

    Comment

    • #3
      NiteQwill
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2007
      • 6368

      I use 450s because of the harder cup. But most CCI primers have hard cups anyway. Just adjust your first loads as necessary. I try to stay away from the softer WSP.

      The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

      Comment

      • #4
        PatrickHenry
        Junior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • Jan 2008
        • 54

        Here is a primer cross reference chart to help with is A the same as B questions.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          ejhc11
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 1214

          I'd recommend just staying with the CCI #41, adjust your loads, powder and bullet type but keep the primers consistent till you find the one that works the best w/ your rifle.....

          Comment

          • #6
            ireload
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 2589

            You don't really need the CCI #41 which is a few buck more per sleeve than the CCI 450 or CCI 400 (depending which powder you choose). I've used both CCI 450 and 400 for years and are quite happy with them. But if you happen to see CCI #41 on sale then by all means go for it.
            Last edited by ireload; 06-17-2012, 4:57 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Properly seated primers in properly maintained firearm will not slamfire no matter how hard or soft the primers are. I've always worried about proper primer seating depth and never worried about which SRPs I'm using.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #8
                NotEnufGarage
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Oct 2010
                • 4832

                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                Properly seated primers in properly maintained firearm will not slamfire no matter how hard or soft the primers are. I've always worried about proper primer seating depth and never worried about which SRPs I'm using.
                Yeah, but wouldn't it suck to have a slam fire at the range and then find out the guy 3 lanes down from you is ATF?

                The make the #41's for a reason. Slam fires may only occur infrequently, but they can and do happen. I guess it's all a matter of whether you're willing to deal with the consequences of it when it does occur.
                sigpic
                NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

                "Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
                Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
                Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

                The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Originally posted by NotEnufGarage
                  Yeah, but wouldn't it suck to have a slam fire at the range and then find out the guy 3 lanes down from you is ATF?

                  The make the #41's for a reason. Slam fires may only occur infrequently, but they can and do happen. I guess it's all a matter of whether you're willing to deal with the consequences of it when it does occur.
                  There's nothing illegal about a slamfire. It is unsafe fot the gun,the shooter and even the guy three lanes down but, malfunctions are not illegal unless you keep shooting. I've got zero problem shooting near LEOs and experiencing a malfunction. There will be zero legal consequences if this ever happens.

                  Do you think Federal, Remington and Winchester use CCI primers for their .223/5.56 loads?
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ken Woodford
                    Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 328

                    I will admit I am not the most knowledgeable reloader but I am also not the dumbest. But it is my opinion that unless you are shooting competition you won't know the difference.

                    For example I was buying primer just the other day. The guy tried to sell me BR-4 from CCI. He said people on the net are getting 30 to 50 FPS more using those. Really 30 to 50 FPS is going to make a difference? Not according to any ballistic table I have ever used.

                    And CSACANNONEER is right...shooting next to a LEO and have a malfuntion is not a crime. Nor would a leo probably do anything about it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by Ken Woodford
                      And CSACANNONEER is right...shooting next to a LEO and have a malfuntion is not a crime. Nor would a leo probably do anything about it.
                      I don't know about that. I know some Federal agents who would offer their help and expertise in trouble shooting any problem.
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ExtremeX
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 7160

                        I picked up the CCI #41 primers to get the ball rolling on the reloading process. Its the only small rifle primer I could find locally and Im just happy I didnt have to deal with any shipping or hazmat fees since its the only item I bought.

                        Worked out to 3.5 cents per primer... not the best deal but it could have been worse.

                        Thanks everyone for the help and links. I did learn something from this thread.
                        ExtremeX

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          twoforme2
                          Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 303

                          Want to know more than you thought you would ever need to about primers?
                          start with post #7 here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=primers
                          Some people talk about it and some people do it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Quinc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 3011

                            I have been using cci 400's in my AR's without any issues.
                            Shop Amazon and contribute to CGF!
                            click this link before going to amazon.com
                            http://www.shop42a.com

                            sigpic
                            www.appleseedinfo.org

                            "Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bfoosh006
                              Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 345

                              Federal Ammunition has released a new type of small rifle match primer optimized for AR15s and similar semi-automatic rifles. The new Gold Medal® AR Match Primers, designated GM205MAR, have harder primer cups than the popular Federal 205M match primers. The harder cup is designed to perform better in semi-automatic actions that use free-floating firing pins.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1