Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.223 reloads with mixed brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dragon7
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 576

    .223 reloads with mixed brass

    I have for a while now reloaded .223 with one brand of previously fired brass and have had good success. Recently I was given a good amount of mixed once fired .223 brass and was wondering how much accuracy and reliability I might give up by using it? What have your experiences been? I might mention with pistol brass I'm not so anal and have had good success with mixed brass in most pistol calibers.
  • #2
    toby
    Banned
    • Jan 2010
    • 10576

    Unless your keeping score don't worry about it with reloading any caliber.

    Comment

    • #3
      lpspinner
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 1164

      OK....I have to say it. You accuracy and reliability with suffer! It's just gonna be awful! Best to just box it up and send it to me and I'll take the hit for you.

      Seriously, you should be fine. Just full length resize the brass, trim if needed and you should be go to go!

      However, if you can, sort the brass by headstamp and load by the same headstamp.
      Some guys like their powder like their women, hot, cheap, dirty, that would be TiteGroup. -CocoBolo

      Comment

      • #4
        Darklyte27
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2008
        • 9372

        What are you shooting it with?

        I have separate labeled zip lock bags to hold the brass with what gun i shot.

        IE, Larue AR and keep all that brass together which is 223 75 gr factory PPU ammo.
        While I also use the same ammo in my stag model 6 varminter that has its own bag because both are AR they might have a slight different chamber size.

        If you are using mixed brass for "plinking" then it doesnt really matter much.

        Once you are shooting half inch groups or something then you want to be pretty detailed so you can track and keep data on what brass works better than what.

        I have a 308 savage which i tried 4 different brass cases, 2 were ok, 1 was all over the place and one brand shot very well. different mfg have different tolerances which can help accuracy.

        I also have a box full of brass thats mixed stuff thats not going to be my "accurate" brass, its just for bulk plinking 223 stuff.
        Last edited by Darklyte27; 06-03-2012, 7:48 PM.
        2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

        Chickens

        Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

        Comment

        • #5
          xfer42
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Sep 2007
          • 709

          My brass is all mixed up range brass. I just put a new upper together, its a 22in .223 Wylde bull barrel and a el cheapo $69 Leapers scope. 3in targets at 100 yards, 55 grain prvi partizan FMJBT, SPP210 propellant, Wolf SRM loaded on a Lee Loadmaster. These are out of my last batch of about 1200. Good enough for me (maybe not for some folks)
          Last edited by xfer42; 06-03-2012, 9:47 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            scotty99
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1184

            I reload mixed .223 all the time, but take some time to check the case OALs. I have found up to .040" differences and that can get frustrating when seating bullets.

            Comment

            • #7
              Darklyte27
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2008
              • 9372

              xfer42, it all depends, off hand? bipod? benchrest? sand bags?

              its not bad for a AR. I have a larue stealth upper and a stag varminter. Ive shot both in the half inch group range with factory ammo. That is using a bipod and buttstock in my shoulder.
              2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

              Chickens

              Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

              Comment

              • #8
                xfer42
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2007
                • 709

                Originally posted by Darklyte27
                xfer42, it all depends, off hand? bipod? benchrest? sand bags?

                its not bad for a AR. I have a larue stealth upper and a stag varminter. Ive shot both in the half inch group range with factory ammo. That is using a bipod and buttstock in my shoulder.
                From the hip... with a cigar hanging out of my mouth.

                JK. Bipod mounted on the gas block. It could have been a little better if I had higher scope rings. For now, I have to squish my face against the buffer tube to see.
                Last edited by xfer42; 06-04-2012, 9:26 AM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  huckberry668
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 1502

                  I think you're ok if you're not shooting for accuracy or saving lives.

                  Are you sure they're all 223Rem brass? I bet some of them are 5.56NATO. On a high level the differences are case length and capacity. 5.56 are usually longer & thicker in my experience.

                  The brass stretches about .005" each time you resize it. 5.56 is already long to begin with so I'd suggest trimming the cases after sizing if you reload them multiple times. this way the longer 5.56 won't get pinched in the shorter leade of a 223 Rem chamber and cause failures (including blow up).
                  Last edited by huckberry668; 06-04-2012, 10:10 AM.
                  GCC
                  NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                  Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AK all day
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 2977

                    I used mixed brass, and it's just fine
                    "The purpose of living is to find something worth dying for"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SuperSet
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 9048

                      I've also used mix brass but only for general purpose (shredding) 55gr loads. Accuracy is good.
                      But for 77gr SMKs, I mark my brass and use only those head stamps. I tested some from my mixed bag and accuracy started to vary quite a bit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dragon7
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 576

                        Got the message. Thank you. I'm shooting a couple of ARs one with a 14.5" 1 in 7 barrel and a 20" 1 in 8 barrel.

                        Plinking (3" or better) = mixed brass

                        Accuracy (1/2") = single head stamp

                        Good reminder about .223 vs 5.56 dimensions from huckberry668. Some of the brass I acquired is 5.56. I'll be sure to trim them and watch the OAL as scotty99 says.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mjmagee67
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 2771

                          I regularly shoot 1 inch minus groups at 100 yard with 55gr Hornady SP bullets using mixed brass. One thing I do is trim all my newly acquired once fired brass to 1.745 after that I can normally get 2 to 3 reloads before having to trim again.
                          If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bohoki
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 20826

                            i use mixed brass but i avoid reloading certain headstamps

                            i love pmc,gfl,r-p,win,fed(but often i get a loose pocket)

                            i don't like s&b the pocket wont seat a primer all the way for me so i gave up and just chuck them all when i see them

                            i have a pocket uniforming tool from hornady it cleans up the military stuff like lc wcc

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              damndave
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Oct 2008
                              • 10858

                              All depends on what kind of accuracy/consistency you are aiming for. For plinking rounds, I wouldn't bother, but if you are making match rounds I would sort by headstamp. It really doesn't take very long so why not?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1