Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Time Loading 357 Magnum

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Donny1
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 2349

    First Time Loading 357 Magnum


    I reload a lot of calibers but never 357 Mag.

    I don't have SPP magnum primers. I've read that standard SPP are okay depending on the load and powder used. It will be for a lever action rifle. I will likely be loading 158gn FP or RNFP. I will also be loading 38spl for it.

    Any insights, recipes appreciated. I have a lot of W231, CFE Pistol, some Red Dot, H335 and IMR 4895.

  • #2
    Cheep
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1328

    Anytime you use magnum powders or pressures you should be using magnum primers. Check the load data and follow accordingly.
    Originally posted by NOMADCHRIS
    your asking a question about asking a question ??? just ask the damn question!!!

    Comment

    • #3
      jarhead714
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2012
      • 9686

      For levers, the overall cartridge length is paramount as I recall.

      Comment

      • #4
        Kokopelli
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 3449

        For my Marlin 1894C, I reload full power 357 loads with WW296 or H110 and jacketed bullets..

        38 Special loads, I use WW231 for cast lead or jacketed handloads.

        I compare manuals from Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Lyman. None exceed the charges listed in the manuals.
        If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald Reagan

        Comment

        • #5
          bhilliker@comcast.net
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 748

          If you are not loading max loads then either primer option will work!!

          Comment

          • #6
            hermosabeach
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2009
            • 19848

            OK - Water is Wet

            Like the idiot I am, I loaded a batch of fairly hot 158 grain SWC. they left a fair amount of leading in my revolver. In a Marlon, they developed more pressure and left lead all the way down the bore.

            What a pain to clean out all the lead.... so now if I load lead, I keep it slower and look for an accurate load.

            Some claim gas checks allow you to load to mag specs and not lead your barrel. I would rather try powder coating lead if I need for things o go fast.....


            700X was one of my child hood 38 special powders

            H2400 for .357 mag and 44 mag loads







            Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

            Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

            Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

            Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
            (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1