Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What reloading literature do you recommend?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DJ Skillz
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1255

    What reloading literature do you recommend?

    What reloading books you would recommend for a newbie?
  • #2
    cmichini
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 1739

    I just got my reading material to get started. Based on previous recommendations I picked up current version of ABC's of Reloading (9th edition I think) and Lyman's Reloading Handbook (49th edition).

    Others with better info will likely provide good guidance too.

    Good luck.
    NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

    Comment

    • #3
      M27
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 871

      these are not everything you need but I recommend them because they are very cheap

      if you use alliant powder this is free


      for hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders
      this can be found for around $8


      these little books from lyman are pretty cheep as well


      I still recommend a true reloading book, many use the abc's, but these are great cheap additions I really like the first two because I always compare the data from various sources, book or recommendation from CalGuns, against the manufactueres data
      Last edited by M27; 05-10-2012, 6:51 PM.
      I will share my opinion and my load data, BUT I am just a guy with too many cigars and too many guns. Whatever I say is probably wrong.

      Comment

      • #4
        Clownpuncher
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 1176

        If you're looking for data, just use the powder manufacturers web pages, they are free. If you're looking for "how to" books then ABC's is a great book. Another great book I have is reloading for handgunners. It's in the Apple book store so you can get digitally. It's only about $13 or so. Great info in it and a few recipes.
        As for a true load manual, the favorite one I have is the Sierra manual. Lots of stuff in that manual plus it is a loose leaf binder set up so I add notes and stuff to it.
        Support CalGuns by purchasing stuff through this Amazon link: http://www.shop42a.com

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          DJ Skillz
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 1255

          If it were between the Lyman and Sierra manuals, which would you choose? Which is more comprehensive?

          Comment

          • #6
            damndave
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2008
            • 10858

            I like Lymans 49th. Very good info for a newb.

            Comment

            • #7
              NoNOS67
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 2161

              I like Lymans 49th. Very good info for a newb.

              +1 Lyman's 49th is a good one. As others have said, always verify load data with a second source.

              Comment

              • #8
                DJ Skillz
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 1255

                Excellent. I'll order the Lyman's manual and also grab the load data from whatever powder manufacturers I end up using.

                Thanks!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Fyathyrio
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 1082

                  ABCs of Reloading is good, plus one or two other manuals so you have a ready cross reference. The one from you press manufacturer and primary bullet supplier will serve you best. For an inexpensive source of load data, Loadbooks USA makes specific caliber books that are nice for a quick look up. They contain load recipes from all the major bullet and powder manufacturers in a handy little booklet.
                  "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                  "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                  There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                  Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                  The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sonnyt650
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 586

                    I got started with the Lee Modern Reloading book which explains the reasoning behind different steps and alternatives in loading processes (full-length versus neck-sizing), don't know if I'd understand as much if I went with other books. I was drawn in by the early pages indicating that there are so many others that have gone the reloading route. In fact in addition to saving some money there's no other way to get the best shooting ammo for a particular rifle.

                    The Lyman 49th edition was an interesting read when I had nothing better to do, though nothing struck me as being missing from the Lee book. I think the photos of case head separation etc. are better done in color where the Lee black and white pages just don't convey what's going on. The ABCs book starts off talking about fear, have plenty of that already so I haven't gotten very far reading it. My Hornady manual is pretty much just a load reference for their bullets.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RandyD
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 6673

                      I believe any of the major reloading manuals will serve you well. I prefer Sierra's reloading manual, it has good explanations and has a section for every major cartridge. If you want to get a quick understanding of the basics, I recommend Sinclair's reloading Series, there are 8 segments and they explain bottle neck cartridges and straight walled cartidges. All 8 segments totaled are approximately 45 minutes in length. Here is a link to the first segmant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VtjJ_XYDQ

                      I do some precision reloading and Sinclairs is the my favorite place to get precision tools.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cowboy T
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 5725

                        I used the Lee book for learning about reloading, just kinda looking past Richard Lee's shameless self-promotion. It does have plenty of good info in there.

                        For load data, I mostly use Lyman's 49th these days, especially for handgun cast boolit loads. However, for certain cartridge/powder combinations which Lyman's book doesn't have, e. g. 7.62x54R and BL-C(2), I will call for the Lee book.
                        "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                        F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                        http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                        http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                        http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                        ----------------------------------------------------
                        To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Divernhunter
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2010
                          • 8753

                          The Lyman #49 is the best. I found the ABC book mostly a waste of time.
                          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            51colt
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 24

                            Originally posted by DJ Skillz
                            Excellent. I'll order the Lyman's manual and also grab the load data from whatever powder manufacturers I end up using.

                            Thanks!
                            That is a good way to go i mainly use Hodgdon powder i like their load data they list complete tested loads meaning the bullets are listed by manufacturer not weight and the COL they used. When first starting out try to pick loads that use bulky powders that fill most the case they are a lot more forgiving and i have found some of my best loads using them.

                            I bought a Lee starter kit read a few manuals and started reloading. Loading your ammo is almost as much fun as shooting it.
                            51

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1