Primer system was working fine, now it opens about half way and wont' let the primers drop. Wheres the adjustment. thanks
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
How do adjust the primer slide on a LNL.
Collapse
X
-
Probably not an adjustment problem. Primer slide on the LnL is sensitive to powder flakes or debris getting stuck beneath it. Best to remove slide and clean underneath it. I use canned air for computers. While you have it off, polish the underside with ultra fine sandpaper and remove any sharp edges or burrs. I use 1000 grit wet/dry paper lubed with WD-40. Clean often. -
Like Korney said, start with cleaning, that would be first. Since it was working okay, it is unlikely to be hung due to adjustment problem.
With my LNL, this would happen sometimes when it was new, after I loaded 500-1000 rounds it quit happening, even if it gets a little dirty.
If you need to adjust the primer slide you can do so by adjusting the nut on the bottom end of the primer feed cam to get the correct rotational alignment of the cam, which can smooth up the action of the slide. Also can adjust the nut to raise and lower the primer feed cam which adjusts the travel of the primer slide. getting these adjustments dialed in, along with some de burring as Korney suggested really helped my LNL's function, almost never a primer slide problem for the past couple of years.Interested in Appleseed? PM me for infoComment
-
System stoped dropping primers,took off the feed and housing tubes and looking though the primer body, noticed that the slide hole was covered by half, there is no way a primer could get though that opening. Adjusted the primer cam feed, worked alright for about five cycles and then snapped off the roller on the large slide,[have one on order]not a real good day.Comment
-
Hope your day gets better from here Timmm.
When I have broken LNL stuff in the past, even when it was clearly my fault, Hornady has always sent me replacement parts promptly and for free. If you did not order from them, give them a call and they will get your replacement parts on the way.Interested in Appleseed? PM me for infoComment
-
My tray wasnt going far back enough to drop a primer into it. Just a fraction of a milimeter but it was enough. I wrapped some electrical tape around the rail that the wheel on the primer feed follows, in the correct spot. Now it works like a charm lolComment
-
After you do all of the great advice in this thread, you could try a primer "mod".
I found that I never "knew" when I was out of primers until one flips into the Akron bin missing a primer, then you are already 3 rounds without primers.
- Take a wire hanger cut it for the longest straight list.
- using the straightened wire piece insert into the primer tube on the press.
- ensure the wire is hitting the primer slide, mark with tape,paint etc.
- remove wire, add primers, add wire.
- enjoy a more positive primer feeding with the weight of the wire on primers and now a primer out warning system.
I'll add pics after I get the kids to bed.
Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.
Comment
-
The newer LNL's come with a long thin piece of plastic for a primer follower. Hornadys customer service is outstanding though. I broke a pawl in half because case heads was jamming on the ezject. They sent one right out. Still have some issues with it though. Any of you guys have about an 1/8" side to side play on the index wheel? According to Hornady there shouldn't be any and sent out a new index wheel and key way pin also. Replaced it but still has the same amount of play. I'm curious, anyone else here have any play?^^^The above is just an opinion.
NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member
"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas JeffersonComment
-
Yes, along with my primer issue, inless I slam the handel back the shellplate stops a 1/8 of a inch before the primer indent. It just feels sloppy, I can push it in with my finger,or jiggly the handel and it slips right in, played around with the paws but just made it worse.
If you look on Midway, a large percentage of Hornadys parts are on backorder for 2-3 months, thought I'd get my replacement parts sooner from them than Hornady. I really want to get this thing running consistently,plus its killing me in spilled powder and crushed brass.Comment
-
How I was told to adjust the pawls was this: Turn them all the way in then back them out 1 1/2 turns. Then adjust them both 1/6th turns until it works properly. The right pawl needs to be a little higher than the left, 1/6 turn more. With any press you don't want to slam or force anything. You want consistent movement of the handle in a fluid motion too. You should be able to hear and feel when things are working right. If something doesn't feel or it doesn't sound right then stop and see if there is a reason. I also noticed on mine, if you move the handle slowly then it doesn't advance as far as it needs to. But if you pick up the pace a little bit faster, the detents fall into place. If you want parts, call, don't e mail Hornady. I was told by the tech I talked to they have 5 guys to handle the calls and the e mails and the e mails aren't the priority. He listened to what I had to say, was thoughtful, and gave good instructions. Try to adjust the pawls the way they told me to. See if that clears up some of your issues. I got the parts within a week. Thats fast and they were free.^^^The above is just an opinion.
NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member
"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas JeffersonComment
-
Primer feeder
the primer seater punch(26) gets powder in and under the pin, this jams the primer bar and keeps it out about 1/8". I use compressed air to clean the punch and my primer detector that I added because it has the same problem. If you dont have a lathe and mill to keep this thing running I dont know how you do it.
I have had to weld up the drive hub, make primer slide assemblies, surface grind the 45 shell plate, constantly fooling with the primer feeder even the powder measure/ expander gives me trouble. Loaded 9000+ rounds with it.
I might call the factory someday if I get time.Comment
-
I had to bend the rod on the primer feed slightly when I first got my press so the shuttle would go far enough, I think it may have gotten bent in shipping, It's worked great ever since. I also marked the rod that sits on top of the primers with a wrap of tape so I know when i run out. I also marked it every 10 primers. sort of a counter. I believe Hornady ships the press with plastic ones now but I made some by soldiering a used primer cup onto the end of a piece of brass brazing rod. the primer cup sets on the live primers .Last edited by ejor; 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,322
Posts: 25,146,836
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,484
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 31495 users online. 93 members and 31402 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment