Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just got a RCBS Piggyback II

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bee7851
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 93

    Just got a RCBS Piggyback II

    A buddy of mine just gave me a RCBS Piggyback II and I would really like to know how to use it. I bought a DVD on how to reload although the instructions are for a Single Stage Press / Rock Chucker. I do have the intention of buying a reloading guide... possibly the "ABCs of Reloading" although I'm more of a "hands on" type of learner.

    Is there a place where I could go and learn how to reload on a progressive press? or is there someone that can come over and teach me? I would be willing to monatarily compensate for the lessons of course.

    Thanks all... Happy New Year!!!
  • #2
    Sheldon
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2149

    You should probably post a more specific location than just California so people can get a better idea of where you're at. I have no experience with the Piggyback....other than have sold a used one on Ebay.

    Comment

    • #3
      Blacktail 8541
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 1567

      Been useing the piggyback II for years. It's a lot less tempermental than the piggyback I with auto indexing.

      You set up the dies in the same maner as you would on a single stage. just use 1 case to go thru all the stations.
      The powder drop uses the one piece drop tube for pistol and 2 pieces for rifle. Screw the powder measure in or out till the powder adjustment screw is at the very top of the stroke but not touching the houseing.

      The APS priming system will fail to index if it gets gumed up with powder or a primer. It is easy to take apart and clean.

      Hope this helps. If you need more help, PM me for my #
      BT 8541

      sigpic


      "You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

      Comment

      • #4
        bee7851
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2004
        • 93

        Sheldon - Sorry for not listing my location... I'm actually in your area. I PM'd you before regarding the reloader you sold on here. This must've been a year ago.

        Anyway... thanks for replies everyone. Please keep em coming.

        Comment

        • #5
          bee7851
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 93

          PM sent Blacktail... Thank you!

          Originally posted by Blacktail 8541
          Been useing the piggyback II for years. It's a lot less tempermental than the piggyback I with auto indexing.

          You set up the dies in the same maner as you would on a single stage. just use 1 case to go thru all the stations.
          The powder drop uses the one piece drop tube for pistol and 2 pieces for rifle. Screw the powder measure in or out till the powder adjustment screw is at the very top of the stroke but not touching the houseing.

          The APS priming system will fail to index if it gets gumed up with powder or a primer. It is easy to take apart and clean.

          Hope this helps. If you need more help, PM me for my #

          Comment

          • #6
            bee7851
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 93

            Anyone else have a suggestion? It can't be this hard to find someone to teach is it?

            Comment

            • #7
              anyracoon
              Veteran Member
              • May 2006
              • 3704

              PM Sent

              Comment

              • #8
                vega
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2972

                Curious to know how it works too. I was about to buy 4 yrs ago to upgrade my Supreme and I checked around first. 2 owners told me I'm better off buying the blue press. I'm still doing single press.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57179

                  Originally posted by bee7851
                  A buddy of mine just gave me a RCBS Piggyback II
                  It's worth exactly what you paid for it.
                  Sell it on eBay and buy a dedicated press.

                  Any attempts at using it are more of a waste of time than anything else.

                  If you want to learn basic reloading, I have a fully setup bench from simple single stage presses to the fanciest Dillon presses.
                  I don't give organized classes, but I certainly can give you a 15 minute tour of reloading that will get you far ahead of what you can get from reading along.
                  Last edited by ar15barrels; 01-03-2008, 3:55 PM.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Blacktail 8541
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 1567

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    It's worth exactly what you paid for it.
                    Sell it on eBay and buy a dedicated press.

                    Any attempts at using it are more of a waste of time than anything else.

                    .

                    Don't know what your problem is Randel. They may not be the greatest progressive press. But they are a big step up from single stage reloading. The aps priming strip feeder can be a little tempermental, but if kept clean will work fine. Not every one can afford the presses you own.
                    BT 8541

                    sigpic


                    "You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by Blacktail 8541
                      Don't know what your problem is Randel.
                      I don't have a problem.
                      I even offered to help the guy learn to reload.

                      It truly is worth exactly what he paid for it.
                      He should be thankful for the money making possibility because there ARE people on eBay that will give him a LOT more than he paid for it.

                      A dedicated LEE press would be better than an adapted single-stage press, not that I would condone purchasing a lee press...

                      I did buy a lee press a couple years ago to load 50BMG.
                      I used it for the first time last month and found out that it's actually to short to easily load 50BMG.
                      I'm probably going to take a pretty good hit when I sell that press.
                      Years ago I vowed never to buy any more lee products after the last time they burned me.
                      Looks like they suckered me again.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Blacktail 8541
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2006
                        • 1567

                        That was a nice offer for you to teach him, that would get him started correctly. But the newer piggybacks are far from worthless. I produce an average of 650 to 750 rounds an hour on mine. If I prime on my bench tool ahead of time I can do a little over 800 routinley. I've thought about going to a dillon 650, but have a hard time spending cash when I have something that works well for me. I have used a 550 before and it was nice.
                        BT 8541

                        sigpic


                        "You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by Blacktail 8541
                          That was a nice offer for you to teach him, that would get him started correctly. But the newer piggybacks are far from worthless. I produce an average of 650 to 750 rounds an hour on mine. If I prime on my bench tool ahead of time I can do a little over 800 routinley. I've thought about going to a dillon 650, but have a hard time spending cash when I have something that works well for me. I have used a 550 before and it was nice.
                          What's your loading rate work out to when you figure starting with brass off the ground that's been tumbled?

                          It would seem that you have to decap them before you can prime them on the bench tool.
                          That means you are handling each piece of brass at least 3 times before it's ready to shoot again.
                          -decap
                          -prime
                          -load

                          I don't like to individually handle brass.
                          I use the bucket method.
                          Dirty brass in a bucket goes into the tumbler.
                          Clean brass goes into the casefeeder.
                          Loaded ammo goes into the ammo can.
                          Dirty brass off the ground goes into a bucket.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Blacktail 8541
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2006
                            • 1567

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            What's your loading rate work out to when you figure starting with brass off the ground that's been tumbled?

                            650 to 750

                            Yes I do have to handle them more. But I shoot only 3000 or so rounds a year out of my ARs'. 2000 or so out of my 45s and significntly less out of my hunting firearms. And less than a 1000 out of my old M1a.
                            BT 8541

                            sigpic


                            "You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57179

                              Originally posted by Blacktail 8541
                              650 to 750

                              Yes I do have to handle them more. But I shoot only 3000 or so rounds a year out of my ARs'. 2000 or so out of my 45s and significntly less out of my hunting firearms. And less than a 1000 out of my old M1a.
                              Only for pistol.
                              So you size and prime on the press and it has a casefeeder?
                              That's the only way you can do over 500 rounds per hour.

                              How about rifle?
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1