Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lee Classic Turret Press in action.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stand125
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 1451

    Lee Classic Turret Press in action.

    So I watched a ton of youtube videos on reloading and it drove me nuts watching a 4 minute video on a Classic Loader or a 10 minute video on a turret press when all I wanted to see was the press in action with a brief description of the action involved. So I made my own simple to the point video on a LEE CLassic Turret press in action. My point was not to describe or teach, but rather to show the press in action. Granted I am not a movie maker and am sure that if I took more than a minute or two I would have worried about angles, but here it is.

    CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.
  • #2
    Flyin Brian
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Oct 2009
    • 3395

    I like the concept - I also got tired of looking at all of these 10 minute videos with 9 minutes of commentary and 1 minute of what you really wanted to see. Good job!!
    NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

    I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

    Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
    I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

    Comment

    • #3
      bh6300
      Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 102

      I guess your die is not carbid dies? Saw you using wax. Just curious.

      Comment

      • #4
        stand125
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 1451

        They are carbide. Waxing just make it easier. Not required, but helpful with the smaller, shorter cases.
        CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

        Comment

        • #5
          Fishslayer
          In Memoriam
          • Jan 2010
          • 13035

          I also lube my cases with One Shot. Maybe "not necessary" but sure makes life easier.

          Tell me about the wax. Looks like a quick swipe with your fingers leaves enough wax on the case to gitter done? Any problem with buildup on the dies?

          EDIT: Good video, BTW.
          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
          Originally posted by redcliff
          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

          Comment

          • #6
            meaty-btz
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2010
            • 8980

            wow, that classic turret press is pretty damn speedy.

            Good video.
            ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

            Comment

            • #7
              Cowboy T
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2010
              • 5725

              Good video that is to the point. The LCTP is a hard press to beat for functionality, versatility, simplicity of use, and value. Cartridge conversions, including changing primer size, take just under a minute and a half. Without primer size changes, I've done it in less than one minute. That includes emptying the powder hopper (Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure), putting the old turret away, grabbing the new turret, popping it in, and filling the hopper with powder. All that in under 60 seconds. Yes, it's that easy.

              This is a press that I believe every hobbyist shooter should have. Makes terrific ammo, too. No, not at progressive-level speed, but for most hobbyist shooters, 120 rounds/hour is probably fast enough.
              "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
              F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
              http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
              http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
              http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
              ----------------------------------------------------
              To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

              Comment

              • #8
                meaty-btz
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 8980

                Originally posted by Cowboy T
                Good video that is to the point. The LCTP is a hard press to beat for functionality, versatility, simplicity of use, and value. Cartridge conversions, including changing primer size, take just under a minute and a half. Without primer size changes, I've done it in less than one minute. That includes emptying the powder hopper (Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure), putting the old turret away, grabbing the new turret, popping it in, and filling the hopper with powder. All that in under 60 seconds. Yes, it's that easy.

                This is a press that I believe every hobbyist shooter should have. Makes terrific ammo, too. No, not at progressive-level speed, but for most hobbyist shooters, 120 rounds/hour is probably fast enough.
                Can it be fitted with a bullet feed tube & die (fixed, plastic, vertical kind)? That would speed it up quite a bit. Right now speed seems heavily dependent on two handling: bullet/case. Take the bullet out of the equation and that will be one damn fast press. Even with having to hand seat the bullet and feed a case, you should be able to exceed 120 cartridges an hour with that thing. Going off the video 1.27s to process 5 cartridges * 60 minutes = 236 cartridges per hour and he did not appear to be "moving quickly" in the video.
                ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bruceflinch
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 40155

                  Nice video. But happy with my Dillons.
                  Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                  I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                  Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                  Secret Club Member?.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Gary13
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1523

                    It looks like you must have already removed the primers, is that correct?

                    Thanks for the video.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stand125
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 1451

                      Primers where not removed prior to first stage. It had been a while since I reloaded 9mm so after those five I only was lubing every 5th case or so. The wax is Gulf wax ( household parafin wax )that I bought at walmart. In the summer it really gets soft and you just barely have to touch the wax. I don't use the factory crimp die on 45ACP or 38/357 so it is even faster since I am grabbing the next case as I am auto indexing to the resizing/depriming die.
                      Last edited by stand125; 03-08-2012, 4:13 PM.
                      CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Fishslayer
                        In Memoriam
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 13035

                        Originally posted by Gary13
                        It looks like you must have already removed the primers, is that correct?

                        Thanks for the video.
                        The Lee Classic Turret has a hollow ram & a tube that attaches to the bottom.

                        When the old primer is punched out it drops through the ram & either collects in the (capped) tube or you can run a longer tube to a bucket.
                        "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                        Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                        I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                        Originally posted by redcliff
                        A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rromeo
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6981

                          Great video, thanks. My Lee Classic Turret kit should be delivered tomorrow.
                          Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                          - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                          (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tacgunner530
                            Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 341

                            great vid. simple and too the point. do you reload .223? if so you should make a vid in the same manner.

                            getting my classic turret kit on friday. just picked up my tumbler, calipers, scale and lymans 49th edition manual today. can't wait to start cranking out some rounds!
                            TacGunner530
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stand125
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 1451

                              One thing that I love about the press is how cheap it is to change calibers. I got a set of 38 special dies awhile back and some 44 mag dies. All it cost me was $26.00 shipped for 2 quick change turret plates and I was good to go.
                              CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1