Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New to reloading.. a few questions...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • softscrubb
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 550

    New to reloading.. a few questions...

    So I decided to get into reloading and wanted to start basic. I picked this kit up 'Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit'.

    I grabbed 3 die sets for 9, .45 and .223. I grabbed a thousand casings of each. I have unique brand powder my neighbor gave me and I need to get primers and bullets to load.

    So.. my questions are:

    1. Best place to buy bullets? Not expensive, not highend.. just jacketed rounds for reloading. I am not going to be doing any crazy high loads and I don't need anything armor piercing
    2. Best type of primers to use? and where to get them? preferrably the same place I grab the bullets but not a killer

    thanks in advance for your expertise.

    scrubb
    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    Stop the thread, I want to get off.
  • #2
    sargenv
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4620

    You'll need something slower for the 223.. Unique is a pistol/shotgun powder. Rifle powder is a lot slower..

    My best advice to you and any new reloader is to get one of the many very good reloading books.. yes, you can learn about reloading on online forums, but sometimes the forums are not available and a book has good reference material. Sierra, Speer, Hodgdon, Hornady, and Lyman all make good general reloading manuals.

    There are a few places around.. Montana Gold makes good quality bullets.. the big thing is that to save money, you generally need to buy in some kind of bulk.. Montana gold sells by the case and that's where you get the better deals.

    Powder valley has some of the better prices on powder/primers and I think they may even sell bullets also. They have pretty good service too. Graf's, Widener's, Natchez, and a few others sometimes have deals, so it's really a preference thing..

    Comment

    • #3
      Bill Steele
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 5028

      Originally posted by sargenv
      You'll need something slower for the 223.. Unique is a pistol/shotgun powder. Rifle powder is a lot slower..

      My best advice to you and any new reloader is to get one of the many very good reloading books.. yes, you can learn about reloading on online forums, but sometimes the forums are not available and a book has good reference material. Sierra, Speer, Hodgdon, Hornady, and Lyman all make good general reloading manuals.

      There are a few places around.. Montana Gold makes good quality bullets.. the big thing is that to save money, you generally need to buy in some kind of bulk.. Montana gold sells by the case and that's where you get the better deals.

      Powder valley has some of the better prices on powder/primers and I think they may even sell bullets also. They have pretty good service too. Graf's, Widener's, Natchez, and a few others sometimes have deals, so it's really a preference thing..
      +1.

      Get a manual (Lyman's or Lee) and read it.

      Good decision on a solid basic press, you will have a use for it no matter where your reloading takes you.

      Powder Valley for powder, primers and some projectiles.
      Graf and sons for powder, primers and projectiles, great shipping deals.
      Precion Delta for jacketed handgun projectiles.
      SNS Casting for lead bullets.

      Have fun, good luck.
      When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

      Comment

      • #4
        Cowboy T
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2010
        • 5725

        You "can" use Unique in .223, but it's not recommended unless you *REALLY* know what you're doing. Better powders are things like H335 and others in that speed range.

        +1 to the recommendation of a couple of reloading manuals.
        "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
        F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
        http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
        http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
        http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
        ----------------------------------------------------
        To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1