Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Experience with Barnes TTSX & Varget on game?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • calidude
    Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 159

    Experience with Barnes TTSX & Varget on game?

    Folks, I've been shooting Hornady GMX, but would like to try the Barnes TTSX in 308 Winchester with Varget powder (what I have), because I hear that it opens up easier on target.

    For California California blacktails in Nor Cal (smallish animal, way under 300 yard shots), should I use bullets lighter than 165 grains, to get it to open up?

    Thank you folks.

    Calidude
  • #2
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    Yes The 130gr bullet works excellent. The 150gr also works fine if you are pig hunting. Remember they work better the faster you push them. You get faster and better expansion.
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #3
      r3dn3ck
      Banned
      • Feb 2010
      • 1900

      Also a note, from experience with critter and ballistics gelatin, all copper bullets penetrate vastly deeper than their lead/copper counterparts so you can use a lighter bullet safely without being too worried about losing penetration ability. I know a 130 out of my .270 made it through more than 16" of permatex gel before exiting and zinging across the landscape. Same gun with lead core 130 had the bullet fragment and fail to penetrate nearly as deeply.

      Comment

      • #4
        Whiterabbit
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2010
        • 7595

        Rule of thumb is whatever you use in lead core, go one step lighter for non lead.

        I shot a boar with a 140 grain TTSX and he was a DRT. We recovered the bullet in the opposite shoulder, and I would have no qualms about taking any game in CA at any distance I was comfy shooting at. Elk at very close ranges only.



        (note: see two petal groupings. First two opened up on shoulder #1, second two opened up on shoulder #2. We think.)
        Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          calidude
          Member
          • Jun 2008
          • 159

          Folks, how fast are you pushing the TTSX?

          165 grain moving at 2,600 OK for inside 300 yards? Faster is better, but I'm wondering.

          Thank you.

          Comment

          • #6
            Whiterabbit
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2010
            • 7595

            According to the load data, approaching 2700 fps here. In reality, I don't know.

            Comment

            • #7
              calidude
              Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 159

              Thank you, folks, and thank you for the pics. I'm going to order up some 130's and see how it goes.

              Any favorite recipes with Varget & Lapua cases? Thank you.

              Comment

              • #8
                Hunt
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 4833

                you don't need anything heavier than the 130 gr in the TTSX, they perform better the faster you push them. The lighter barnes expand at slower velocities the heavier you go the faster they need to expand. I know from Barnes tech directly that the 120 gr TTSX in 7-08 will expand reliably down to 1800 fps, so adjust that a little for the 130gr. You can call or email Barnes. I wouldn't use the 165gr inside of 300 yards unless on elk. You will get a flatter shooting bullet with the 130gr and as mentioned they penetrate very well and they expand to twice their dia. Plug that 130gr in at about 2800 fps on the JBS software set your zero at 200 yards, life is good. Heck for those tiny blacktail under 300 yards I'd see if Barnes made a 115gr TTSX bullet.
                Last edited by Hunt; 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM.
                Protect public lands access http://www.backcountryhunters.org/

                Comment

                • #9
                  sksman777
                  Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 404

                  168gr Barnes TTSX 30-06 loaded with Varget. Shot a 200lb hog at 150 yards went through both
                  shoulders hit another hog in neck. First one went down secound hog needed another one. Bullet performed great never had any problems with expansions with Barnes. I load em to MAX.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1