Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ready to move up to a progressive press

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bert Gamble
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 3230

    Ready to move up to a progressive press

    I have been reloading for a little while now and I am ready to move to the next level and buy a progressive press.

    I have been using a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and would like to get your opinion on how to proceed.

    I can buy:
    RCBS "Piggyback" unit for the Roch Chucker (Cheapest option)
    Hornaday LNL Progressive (I like the way it looks)
    Dillion Square deal or RL550B (Everyone seems to like them)

    I don't want to start a green vs red vs blue fight, but I am interested if you have opinions.

    I currently only reload 45 ACP but plan on doing 9mm and maybe .223

    Thank you
    WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

    Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
    _____________________________________________
  • #2
    cudakidd
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 3354

    Dillon 650! Can reload anything rifle, pistol etc. Best ergonomics, best customer service bar none!
    TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

    William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

    Comment

    • #3
      biogenic
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 640

      I am in the same boat . The LNL looked pretty appealing and less costly than the Dillon. I would really like to test drive both before I make a decision.

      Keep us posted.
      WTB S&W 29/629 - 44mag 4" / Colt Commander 70 series


      "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals." -Jeff Snyder

      "I will be spending the weekend studying...oh, and paying my taxes so they can continue to keep us safe from zombies, ghosts and goblins."

      Ollshooter32
      [/I]

      Comment

      • #4
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        I have 3 single stage presses, 2 RCBS and a Hornady. Been reloading since the 1960's with the Rockchucker and Jr RCBS presses. I have a friend with the RCBS and he said not to get one. I know someone else who got the square deal and then sent it back to get a XL650. I do not know alot about the Hornady from friends etc. I recently got the Dillon XL650 because I hate dealing with the 9mmLuger reloading. Got the case feeder and all safety checks(low powder/low primers and powder check) and really like it. I also got Dillon dies and saved my RCBS dies for the single stage if needed. I also got the set-up for 45ACP. I like it enough to plan on getting a setup for 9mmMak and maybe others. Even thinking about 2 Dillons and leave one set up for large and one for small primers. That is if I get the cash.

        I think you would really like the Dillon XL650 even more than the 550/square deal or another brand. After all these years I like the Dillon and it is worth the extra wait/cash for me.
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        • #5
          Bert Gamble
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 3230

          Originally posted by cudakidd
          Dillon 650! Can reload anything rifle, pistol etc. Best ergonomics, best customer service bar none!
          Is there a reason for the 650 over the 550? I don't plan on getting a case feeder so I don't see the need to spend the extra money on the 650. Feel free to change my mind.
          WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

          Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
          _____________________________________________

          Comment

          • #6
            anyracoon
            Veteran Member
            • May 2006
            • 3700

            The 650 has a extra die station, great for the powder check, plus auto advance. Once you have a case feeder you won't load with out it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Bert Gamble
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 3230

              Originally posted by anyracoon
              The 650 has a extra die station, great for the powder check, plus auto advance. Once you have a case feeder you won't load with out it.
              I like the idea of a powder check. That might be the thing that has me get this model.
              WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

              Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
              _____________________________________________

              Comment

              • #8
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                For basic progressive reloading, it's hard to beat the versatility and simplicity of a Dillon 550. In fact, I recently traded my 650 off but, I'll never part with my 550. Now, if you are just going to load a few common cartridges, a 650 might be a better choice but, I prefer the 550 because, there are far more caliber conversions available and, they are cheaper too.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #9
                  kmca
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2371

                  If you're really interested in the piggy back, I've got a friend that has one and tried setting it up for quite a while, then gave up. I'm sure he can be persuaded to sell it.

                  I like the idea of 2 550's..matter of fact, that 's what I'm in the process of doing now. My square deal is set up for the one cartridge I shoot the most, it's a good press, but won't do rifle cartridges.

                  Which ever loader you get, don't get rid of the single stage

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bill Steele
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 5028

                    I have been loading on a Dillon 550B for a while now. The reason I chose the 550B was its simplicity of operation. It is a very bullet proof loader. I load about 400 rounds an hour on it. I am usually the slowest guy on these boards volume wise with any given type of press.

                    To change from .45ACP to 9MM (including a large primer to small primer change), takes about 5 minutes.

                    If you want the additional speed of a case feeder, then I would recommend a 650. I personally don't need that level of output and I don't want the added complexity.

                    As far as the need for a powder check die, I look into each case before setting the bullet to verify my charge, even in reloads where I am using large cases and small charges (like .44RM with .44Spc loads). Even in this situation a double charge is obvious if you look before you set the bullet.

                    Good luck, have fun.
                    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      problemchild
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 6959

                      Three presses I would look at.

                      BL-550
                      550-B
                      650

                      BL-550 simple, cheap, slow
                      550-B Mediuim priced, more complex, faster
                      650 , expensive, complex, a lot going on, powder check to prevent double charges and squibs, fast, the only thing missing is a swager

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        191145ACP
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 64

                        550B, with a couple upgrades is hard to beat, very dependable and consistent. Like others I only use Dillon dies. The no BS warranty sets the standard. BTW, I load 45ACP, 38/357, 40 and 9mm. It takes me about 30 minutes to do the cal changes and dial in the powder charge primer swaps. I do have separate tooling plates for each caliber which helps. I go slow and easy and do about 250 rounds an hour, but they are picture perfect and very consistent.
                        Mr. Lynn Ryle
                        L&L Gunsmithing
                        Practical Gunsmithing

                        LLGun@verizon.net
                        www.LLGunsmithing.com

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bert Gamble
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 3230

                          Originally posted by Bill Steele
                          I have been loading on a Dillon 550B for a while now. The reason I chose the 550B was its simplicity of operation. It is a very bullet proof loader. I load about 400 rounds an hour on it. I am usually the slowest guy on these boards volume wise with any given type of press.

                          To change from .45ACP to 9MM (including a large primer to small primer change), takes about 5 minutes.

                          If you want the additional speed of a case feeder, then I would recommend a 650. I personally don't need that level of output and I don't want the added complexity.

                          As far as the need for a powder check die, I look into each case before setting the bullet to verify my charge, even in reloads where I am using large cases and small charges (like .44RM with .44Spc loads). Even in this situation a double charge is obvious if you look before you set the bullet.

                          Good luck, have fun.
                          Is there enough room on the 550 to clearly see the charge? It looks from the picture like you might not be able to.
                          WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

                          Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
                          _____________________________________________

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Waldog
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2007
                            • 528

                            I own a SDB and a LNL. I have loaded ammo on the SDB, 550, 650, and 1050. With the exception of the 1050, I prefer the operation of the Hornady LNL by a WIDE MARGIN.
                            The ergonomics of the LNL are much better for FOR ME. Other, of course, will disagree.

                            You will be best served by trying to find someone to try both, the LNL and Dillon. They operate quite differently.

                            BOTH COMPANIES MAKE TOP NOTCH STUFF!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bruce381
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 2453

                              Dillion 550 or just invest in a lifelong hobby and get a Dillion 650, To save a few dollars you DO NOT NEED the case feeder, strong mount or roller handle.

                              They can come latter and this gets you into the hiogh end machine that even if you want to sell it latter you can get 95-110 percent of what it costs now back.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1