Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading in an apartment and on carpet?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jimster716
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 839

    Reloading in an apartment and on carpet?

    I want to get into reloading .223/5.56 and .308 but I live in a 1bdrm apartment (livin' the bachelor dream) with carpeting. After reading of primer detonation and static electricity, I'm wondering if this is a good idea. I also wonder about any legalities of reloading in an apartment community. Any thoughts?
    LA County CCW Renewal Progress
    4/01/21: Mailed CCW app w/GC: Yellow.
    4/14/21: $30 App Fee check deposited
    5/25/21: Request for interview
    6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
    6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
    8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
    8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
    10/11/21: Call to pickup
    10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
  • #2
    bruceflinch
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 40155

    Get the rubberish mats from HD that fit together & wear rubber sole shoes while reloading.

    You might check your rental agreement about a possibly hazardous Hobby.
    Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

    I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

    Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

    Secret Club Member?.

    Comment

    • #3
      Dark Mod
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 4284

      You definatley wouldn't be the first one to do it, but if it were me id at least try to do it in the kitchen over a hard floor so i dont get powder all over the carpet

      Comment

      • #4
        Clownpuncher
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 1176

        You'll need something to cover the floor. Either a mat or cardboard or something easily taken outside and shaken off. Powder leaking from the drop, spilled powder, or powder dust will fall on the floor. As for primers, I just pay attention and while spent primers may fall on the floor, I have yet to lose a live one (knock on wood). As for static, just ground yourself to the bench/press prior to touching any of the primers or associated equipment and you should be good.
        Support CalGuns by purchasing stuff through this Amazon link: http://www.shop42a.com

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          scrat
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2007
          • 1516

          Take a 2x4 drill holes to mount press. then use a large c clamp to tighten it to kitchen table. or in my case we have a solid oak table in the living room. i would wrap a towel around it to protect it from marring up. then put a towel on the ground and start loading.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2009
            • 7079

            Way back in time I had a small loading bench on the outside deck of our upstairs apt. I only loaded 1 caliber then and never had more than 1 lb of powder in the apt.
            "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

            Comment

            • #7
              tujungatoes
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 7942

              Look over your lease agreement. I doubt it contains any language that would specifically prohibit you from reloading, but you never know. I did it for a few years when I was in an apt. Never had a static problem(stop draggin' yer feet young-un), and just vacuumed up any spilled powder.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Dr. Elky
              If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

              Comment

              • #8
                Divernhunter
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2010
                • 8753

                I have reloaded for many years on carpet and still do. Never a problem. As for primers/powder I just vacuum them up. Yes sometimes with my Kirby the primers pop but no big deal. I also use a small hand vac sometimes without any problem. I usually rubberband a couple of dryer sheets around the powder measure to help with any static electricy.

                I would just reload and not worry about it. Do not try to be so PC you cannot do what you enjoy.
                A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                Comment

                • #9
                  milotrain
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 4301

                  If you've never reloaded before do your first batch in the kitchen or bathroom or some room without carpet. The first time I spilled way more powder than I did after that.
                  weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                  frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    21SF
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 3491

                    Do it all the time never had a problem. helps if you wear safety glasses as you SHOULD just in case.
                    SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
                    Diablo Rod & Gun Club
                    Originally posted by keenkeen
                    "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      milotrain
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 4301

                      FYI. I buy these safety glasses and they are fantastic. I use them in the shop, working on the car, reloading, and shooting. They don't scratch, are very clear, and very light. I forget I am wearing them all the time. No other glasses have been as good for me.

                      Classic Plus Series Eyewear by RADNOR™ uses a sporty swept back lens design made of a tough polycarbonate with a special hard coat that guards against scratching, static and chemical attack. The flexible temple design and soft grips make all day wear a breeze.


                      They are also $1.50
                      weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                      frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        wtkaiser
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 660

                        I've heard that about safety glasses. My regular glasses are polycarbs, so that will have to do. Anyway OP, Like Jean Luc used to say, "Make it so". I used a Lee hand kit for a while on a kitchen floor when I was in my 1 BR. It wasn't the happiest set-up, but I learned a heck of a lot. Milo train speaks true words in my case, too. Get to where you are confident in your technique and learn over a "non-fuzzy" surface. Then keep a vacuum handy in case and go for it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          damndave
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 10858

                          I would put something over the carpet. Powder spills are common. Also, when you vacuum the powder up, use a wet/dry vac and not a regular one.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            17+1
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2847

                            I use a large towel laid down under my moveable station. Helps to catch brass shavings from the trimmer and primers that get away from the dump tube.

                            Don't bother reading the rental agreement, most likely it will also tell you that firearms are not allowed (most likely won't mention reloading, but it's implied if no guns are allowed). I know lots of older shooters that reloaded in their apartments when going to school in their earlier days.

                            Carry on the tradition.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              general_disarray_prk
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 1520

                              Stealth/Dual Use is the name of the game.

                              Also keep it to yourself and don't walk around in public dressed in Cammies, and carrying what is an "obvious" looking gun/rifle/pistol case or bag along with a USGI Ammo Can - essentially advertising to the entire world that you are carrying a gun and ammo in and out of your Apt.

                              Buy a sturdy gym bag for long guns, and a couple of good day packs - one for pistols and one for ammo. Try and keep them black or some other low key color.

                              Also, don't have any gun related stickers on your car or apt. windows.

                              It's all about blending in, keeping it quiet, and passing yourself off as one of the sheeple...

                              A folding Black and Decker work bench can be easily modified with holes drilled into it for a Lyman Turret Press, RCBS power dispenser, and Lyman Brass trimmer.

                              This method got me through three one bedroom apartments and a 2 year stint in a one person/upperclassman College Dorm Room.

                              When not in use, you can unbolt the press, unscrew the powder dispenser, and case trimmer and store them all in the appropriate sized cardboard boxes in a coat closet so no one is the wiser. Do the same with your reloading supplies...

                              When the reloading tools are unbolted/unscrewed - a folded workbench leaning against the wall won't attract any undue attention - especially if you're the type that works on your car or bike and you have a few visible hand tools laying around the apt - everything blends together.

                              I install primers with a hand-held Lee Priming Tool and continue to till this day - as this tool offers me the best "feel" - and that eliminates any press noise down for that particular operation...

                              Oh yeah - like 17+1 said, lay a few large towels down under and around your bench for powder & primer spills.

                              Towels also takes up some of the press operation noise.

                              When trimming brass, I used to lay down newspaper to collect brass shavings as you can fold it up and toss it out. Brass shavings stick to towels.

                              HTH and keep up with the tradition -
                              Last edited by general_disarray_prk; 12-24-2011, 11:32 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1