And I don't mean just the bullet, but the whole cartridge.
I can understand it if the diameters of the bullets are different or vary more / have lower tolerence in one brand than another, but if we say for argument sake that the diameter of the bullet is the same, then why would one make of, say, 9mm be any different in terms of accuracy than another make? Why would the powder make any difference? Why would the bullet type or shape or weight make a difference. Isn't it all in the barrel?
I ask because I was watching a video of a guy who writes a reloading column for a major magazine, and he was doing tests to find the best load for some 9mm. He did two loadings each of three different powders, plus two different factory loads, and the accuracy varied quite a bit on a few of them versus the rest. If he loaded the same bullets into all of his reloads, shouldn't they all come out the same? Why would a little more or less powder throw them off? Is that why bulk reloaded ammo is considered less accurate than some tighter tolerance factory loaded stuff, or precisely measured home loaded ammo? Because a little bit more or less powder changes the accuracy? Wouldn't it just affect velocity, causing the bullets to hit higher or lower?
I can understand it if the diameters of the bullets are different or vary more / have lower tolerence in one brand than another, but if we say for argument sake that the diameter of the bullet is the same, then why would one make of, say, 9mm be any different in terms of accuracy than another make? Why would the powder make any difference? Why would the bullet type or shape or weight make a difference. Isn't it all in the barrel?
I ask because I was watching a video of a guy who writes a reloading column for a major magazine, and he was doing tests to find the best load for some 9mm. He did two loadings each of three different powders, plus two different factory loads, and the accuracy varied quite a bit on a few of them versus the rest. If he loaded the same bullets into all of his reloads, shouldn't they all come out the same? Why would a little more or less powder throw them off? Is that why bulk reloaded ammo is considered less accurate than some tighter tolerance factory loaded stuff, or precisely measured home loaded ammo? Because a little bit more or less powder changes the accuracy? Wouldn't it just affect velocity, causing the bullets to hit higher or lower?



Comment