Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

All around powder for a 30-30 Load?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ns3v3n
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1535

    All around powder for a 30-30 Load?

    Hey guys, I reload pistol, thinking about getting a Marlin 336, and of course i'm going to reload for it. Now i'm looking for a all around powder that I can use for 30-30 and maybe for other calibers later down the road. What do you guys like to use??? This is mostly for planking. Thanks in advance.
    The stuff that goes boom.
  • #2
    Dark Mod
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 4284

    I too have a Marlin 336 and its a wonderful gun. I found IMR4895 to be great for .30-30, i also use it for .223 and 7.62x54r

    Comment

    • #3
      CEDaytonaRydr
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 4142

      Also IMR 4064. Good powder for 30-30 and many other calibers...

      Comment

      • #4
        choprzrul
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2009
        • 6551

        Here is what I went through to find a load that would produce consistent velocities out of my Winchester 94 Trapper. Get a chrony and test, test, test....

        The result of persistent testing is this target shot with std factory open sights @ 50yds:



        This represents a drop from nearly 300 fps variance shot to shot; to a variance of 22 fps.

        .

        Comment

        • #5
          ns3v3n
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 1535

          Thanks guys, anyone have experience with Varget powder? I read that's good too.
          The stuff that goes boom.

          Comment

          • #6
            choprzrul
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2009
            • 6551

            Originally posted by ns3v3n
            Thanks guys, anyone have experience with Varget powder? I read that's good too.
            Didn't go down that path in my testing, so I can't say. I can tell you that a case full of Winchester 748 worked wonders for me in 30-30.

            .

            Comment

            • #7
              ns3v3n
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2007
              • 1535

              Originally posted by choprzrul
              Didn't go down that path in my testing, so I can't say. I can tell you that a case full of Winchester 748 worked wonders for me in 30-30.

              .

              I read your thread earlier, did you get a better way of measuring powder???? Those scoops are horrible at getting decently precise charge.
              The stuff that goes boom.

              Comment

              • #8
                ShootinMedic
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 826

                I use IMR4895 for my Marlin 336 in 30-30 and have gotten great results with both 150s and 170s
                Originally posted by Untamed1972
                ... the POV of courts and legislators needs to be....if an item can have a lawful purpose then you can't criminalize the item, you can only criminalize unlawful acts committed with that lawful item.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Dark Mod
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 4284

                  Originally posted by ShootinMedic
                  I use IMR4895 for my Marlin 336 in 30-30 and have gotten great results with both 150s and 170s
                  I just bought a few hundred 170's that i wanna try out, im expecting them to be awesome

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GeoffLinder
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 2425

                    Always used WW 748 in my 30.30 reloads. Worked well to start with in several different lever action carbines so I never bothered trying anything else. Also use it for 55gr .223 so win, win :-)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      choprzrul
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 6551

                      Started using an older Pacific powder measure to get close, then trickled into the pan on my RCBS digital, and then checked that with a Lyman beam scale.

                      Scoops don't throw accurate enough for what I was doing.

                      .

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        gotglock99
                        Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 133

                        I havent reloaded 30-30 win yet, but i have the means to do so. Im gonna try some IMR 3031 as I have a couple of pounds laying around through a Hornady LNL AP. I just never used any extruded powder yet.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ns3v3n
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 1535

                          gotta start saving for a press and components for a rifle that I dont even have yet LOL.
                          The stuff that goes boom.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Peter W Bush
                            Calguns Supreme Overlord
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 4727

                            IMR 4064 is an excellent powder for 30-30 and 308 and many other calibers.
                            Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

                            Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                            Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
                            Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                            put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              buffybuster
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 2615

                              IMR3031 and W748 are good powders for the 30WCF.
                              Luck favors the prepared.

                              The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

                              "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1