Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Media Seperation Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Markus
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 1762

    Media Seperation Help

    So I fired up my rcbs vibratory case tumbler for the first time the other day and the brass came out all nice and shiny however, when it came time to get all that brass out I ended up getting a bit on the floor. I was using a bucket and one of those sifter like round things which ended up with most of my brass standing straight up with media in them. There has to be a better way than this.... Anybody got any suggestions?
  • #2
    freonr22
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2008
    • 12948

    sigpic
    Originally posted by dantodd
    We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
    Originally posted by bwiese
    They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
    Originally posted by louisianagirl
    Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

    Comment

    • #3
      Markus
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1762

      I was kind of hoping for something more specific? If anybody had a particular recomendation of one brand or type?

      Comment

      • #4
        Flyin Brian
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Oct 2009
        • 3395

        My tumbler came with a slotted cover so I have used that to separate the media a few times. I just leave the vibrator running and turn the whole thing over above a bucket and let it shake all the media out of the cases. Of course i only do it this way on pistol cases, with bottleneck rifle i just pick them out individually and turn them over one by one and hold the case against the edge of the tumbler bowl as it is still running. It's not the best procedure but works OK until I get a real separator.
        NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

        I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

        Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
        I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

        Comment

        • #5
          Bill Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 5028

          I have this separator:



          It works great.

          In any case, whatever brand you decide on, if you use it indoors, get one that closes before tumbling to separate, it will greatly cut down on the dust.
          When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

          Comment

          • #6
            Markus
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 1762

            Anybody have any experience with the grafs one? Its 32 shipped and looks to be the same thing as the rcbs one.

            Comment

            • #7
              Lead Waster
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2010
              • 16650

              I use a colander and a slotted spoon, held over a small wash tub thing. I just pick up the brass and flip it, then mix it around, etc, until the cases are empty. They tend to sit upright and hold media in them, which is a pain, so I scoop them up and dump them over a few times (all over the wash tub). Works pretty good. Not the best, but whatever, it cost me like $5 for the colander.
              ==================

              sigpic


              Remember to dial 1 before 911.

              Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

              There. Are. Four. Lights!

              Comment

              • #8
                Fishslayer
                In Memoriam
                • Jan 2010
                • 13035

                Well, ya gotta get it outta the strainer thingie somehow. I wear nitrile gloves and do it by hand. I dump 'em out & visually check 'em as I transfer from strainer to tub. That way I KNOW all the media is dumped out.

                A clump of media/polish stuck in the bottom of a .357 case that get's loaded to max can make for an interesting day....
                "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                Originally posted by redcliff
                A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                Comment

                • #9
                  damndave
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 10858

                  Originally posted by Markus
                  Anybody have any experience with the grafs one? Its 32 shipped and looks to be the same thing as the rcbs one.

                  http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5379

                  This is the one I use. Works perfectly. Exact same thing as the Cabelas & RCBS models.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    xrMike
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 7841

                    Originally posted by Lead Waster
                    I use a colander and a slotted spoon, held over a small wash tub thing. I just pick up the brass and flip it, then mix it around, etc, until the cases are empty. They tend to sit upright and hold media in them, which is a pain, so I scoop them up and dump them over a few times (all over the wash tub). Works pretty good. Not the best, but whatever, it cost me like $5 for the colander.
                    Similar method here...

                    I use a collander from the dollar store, which sits nicely in the top of a 2 gallon bucket I have, then I dump the shells and media into the collander, run my gloved hands through the shells and pick them up and drop them over and over for about a minute, and the media is all separated and falls into the bucket.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FLIGHT762
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 3072

                      Dillon media separator. A bit pricey, but well built ant the best one out there.

                      I use the small one. Been using it for many years.




                      I haven't used/seen the Graf's. It looks like it would also work.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1