Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

will an oily barrel cause leading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stand125
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 1451

    will an oily barrel cause leading?

    I took my RIA 45 ACP GI to test fire it today. I loaded some Missouri Bullet 200gr RNFP with 4.9gr of Titgroup AOL of 1.20. That is my standard load that gives me no leading in my Springfield mil spec and shoots very well. After 15 rouds Spotted leading is a very mild term for what I saw down the lenth of the barrel. I scrubbed the barrel when I got it since it was very dirty and then oiled heavily. I am curious if the oily barrel could have caused the leading( forgot to clean out the excess oil this morning ). I normally don't oil my barrels since I shoot weekly
    CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.
  • #2
    John Browning
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2006
    • 8089

    If it is a new RIA my money is on a very roughly cut barrel that needs to be lapped or broke in.
    For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

    For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

    Originally posted by KWalkerM
    eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

    Comment

    • #3
      GeoffLinder
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 2425

      Oil will not be a cause of excessive leading. Soft lead moving too fast, undersized lead bullets and rough barrels are what cause excessive leading.

      In your case I agree that a rough barrel is most likely the culprit. Fire-lapping ammo will lap a rough barrel smooth or you can have a gunsmith attend to it. Either way, smooth barrels get less dirty AND clean up easier

      Comment

      • #4
        stand125
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 1451

        I cleaned it up and it is one roughly cut barrel. It seems pretty normal with the RIA. I read that running some foil down the barrel will help smooth it out. I am impressed with the trigger and how solid the gun is built. It shot low but grouped very well. I put on black grips with stainless screws and it looks sweet, plain but sweet.
        CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

        Comment

        • #5
          Endofcomment
          Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 411

          Yeah my RIA GI would pick up some copper fouling but after about 1000 rounds and finally getting some jb bore paste it is pretty polished.
          If I bought a new RIA I would get the fire lapping bullets from brownells.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1