Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Judging by pics, is the ammo still usable?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gsrturboek
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 267

    Judging by pics, is the ammo still usable?

    I received these from a friend. These were left in his garage quite some time. He thought they were still okay, but haven't really seen them in a long time. When I came to pick it up the looked like this. In the first pic, it's not really that detailed. The second pic is more detailed of what some of them looked like.


    WTB HK USP Compact 45
  • #2
    joelogic
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6593

    Rust or stain? smooth or rough?
    Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

    Comment

    • #3
      Gio
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 10251

      If you have time to have someone look at the rounds first it would be a better bet, you might also be able to tumble them for a little bit and see what it looks like afterwards. To me it looks like it had some moisture and it stuck to the box or something. If it is not badly pitted I would feel safe using it, but it would be better to have someone that loads ammo look at it first.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Comment

      • #4
        damndave
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2008
        • 10858

        Brass does not rust since it is mainly copper & zinc. It just looks dirty. Grab some Nevr-Dull and wipe them clean. Should be fine to fire.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sub95
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 1227

          tumble and then shoot them.

          Comment

          • #6
            joelogic
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2008
            • 6593

            ahhh, yes. It must be late.

            Originally posted by AlliedArmory
            Brass does not rust since it is mainly copper & zinc. It just looks dirty. Grab some Nevr-Dull and wipe them clean. Should be fine to fire.
            Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

            Comment

            • #7
              wtkaiser
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 660

              Ummm, tumbling live ammunition is a bit risky. I know most of you have done it forever, and I would think about it and then not do it. Call me over-cautious, but any activity that causes a live primer to contact a bullet, however gently MOST of the time, has the potential to cause a KB (which I am told means a KABOOM - not ideal under most circumstances). It truly does just take one time...

              Comment

              • #8
                sequoia_nomad
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 803

                Most of the danger in tumbling live rounds lies in rifle cartridges with sharp pointed tips. The chances of a round nose handgun round are pretty remote, but there is that slight chance. Moreover than a kb, a more realistic potential problem I've heard of is the vibration causing damage to the explosive charge in the primer, causing a dud. I've never experienced either of these problems and I tumble most of my handgun rounds in corn cob after loading, provided they have jacketed bullets.

                Personally, I would just throw them in the tumbler, but it is totally up to the individual to decide how they feel about the potential risk of this kind of thing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  pisarski
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 740

                  just wipe them down and shoot them

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    Send them to me and I'll tumble them for you. Just to be on the safe side, I'll personally test each round to make sure it functions properly before I return them to you. Please include return postage along with your shipment. I will provide this service at no charge to you.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      GMG
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 7974

                      As said above, clean them up and send them down range.
                      sigpic

                      A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Hogxtz
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 592

                        If you are shooting them from one of those wussy la-la silvery 1911's than you should wipe them down first. If you are shooting them from a Glock, you dont need to wipe them down. Justr shoot'em!!!
                        The left - "You don't need guns. Police will protect you."
                        Also The Left - "Police are racist and evil and we need to disband them."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Fishslayer
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 13035

                          I'd chuck 'em in the vibrator with some lizard litter & Nu Finish.

                          If they were clean & shiny after a couple hours or so, I'd shoot 'em up.

                          EDIT: I am assuming this is factory ammo? If they were handloads of unknown origin I would disassemble & salvage the components.
                          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                          Originally posted by redcliff
                          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Yugo
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 8393

                            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                            Send them to me and I'll tumble them for you. Just to be on the safe side, I'll personally test each round to make sure it functions properly before I return them to you. Please include return postage along with your shipment. I will provide this service at no charge to you.
                            +1 ^^^^ or wipe each one by hand like others have said, worst case they are duds.
                            sigpic

                            Originally posted by WAMO556
                            Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

                            Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

                            Umm yeah!!!!!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              wtkaiser
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 660

                              He has a point there. An unknown load stored an unknown time in unknown conditions is a crap shoot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1