Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What were Your Biggest Mistakes/Regrets When You First Started Reloading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JoeinLA
    Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 280

    What were Your Biggest Mistakes/Regrets When You First Started Reloading?

    Would love to hear your biggest mistakes/regrets when you first started reloading. What did you do wrong? What do you wish you had done differently?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    shinbone
    Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 281

    For me it was loading too big of a batch of untested light loads AND an OAL my gun didnt like. I hadn't figured out that I could have pulled the bullets and started over.. Had to burn through 200 rounds, often manually cycling the slide and alot of failure to go into battery(too long OAL)

    Really important to do small batches of 10, then 10 more +.2 grains, 10 more +.2 grains and then write down observations at the range..
    Last edited by shinbone; 09-26-2011, 7:13 PM.
    Rails and beavertails = business up front and party in the back.

    Comment

    • #3
      GeoffLinder
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 2425

      I wish I had bought a progressive press sooner, spent my first 2 years cranking out bulk pistol ammo on a Rock Chucker

      Comment

      • #4
        Bill Steele
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2010
        • 5028

        Probably squibs.

        Every single squib I have ever loaded (only a few) were due to sloppy proceedure when using a single stage press.

        Second biggest mistake, buying an 8lb bottle of a powder you find out you don't like, this is a mistake you only make once, maybe never if you are a little more thoughtful.
        When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

        Comment

        • #5
          Peter W Bush
          Calguns Supreme Overlord
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2009
          • 4727

          Biggest regret? Not buying a Dillon. And not buying a Chargemaster.
          Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

          Originally posted by TURBOELKY
          Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
          Originally posted by TURBOELKY
          put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

          Comment

          • #6
            bruceflinch
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 40155

            Uh... loaded 500 rounds & 10 squibs under the influence...
            Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

            I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

            Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

            Secret Club Member?.

            Comment

            • #7
              IntoForever
              CGSSA Associate
              • Sep 2010
              • 3891

              Not checking often enough when reloading and had a squib with the next round clearing it out = bulged barrel.
              With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

              Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
              5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
              Originally posted by pyromensch
              damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

              Comment

              • #8
                Dark Mod
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 4284

                about 10 squibs in one of my first batches of .357, this is back when i used to throw a charge then seat the bullet individually. IVe learned better, now i do an assembly line with all the cases getting charged in an ammo holder, and i can look inside to make sure they are all charged before i move on to bullet seating

                Comment

                • #9
                  OpenSightsOnly
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 1557

                  For me reloading is all about learning the process and using the experience to fine tune the process. In other words, gotta pay attention and take notes!

                  Took me about three good months after I started reloading to get a feel about what the heck I'm doing.

                  This is all about experience and I should have bought a Giraud Trimmer! Lol!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    damndave
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 10858

                    Originally posted by OpenSightsOnly
                    For me reloading is all about learning the process and using the experience to fine tune the process. In other words, gotta pay attention and take notes!

                    Took me about three good months after I started reloading to get a feel about what the heck I'm doing.

                    This is all about experience and I should have bought a Giraud Trimmer! Lol!
                    +1


                    Should have never bought the Lee Turret press since I already had a Rock Chucker. If I didn't have a single stage already, it would have been fine to have. I sold it and got a LNL AP Progressive.

                    When I was loading 9mm on the LCT, I just sat there and was thinking. "I just loaded 150 rds in 1 hour and could have easily done 500-600 on a progressive with the same amount of work."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      epcii
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 637

                      Originally posted by shinbone
                      For me it was loading too big of a batch of untested light loads.........Really important to do small batches of 10.......
                      +1. Save yourself the pain of doing what shinbone, I, and others (I'm sure) have done.
                      sigpic
                      Ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders
                      NRA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sonnyt650
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 586

                        Some folks just don't shoot enough handgun to justify getting a progressive. I could have used that money for more rifle brass.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          damndave
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 10858

                          So many people cringe about putting out the $450 for a Giraud, BUT it definitely doesn't seem like much money after trimming, deburring/chamfering a few hundred 223 cases. I need to invest in one myself.

                          Just ask BamBam-31!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dholla
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 921

                            Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take your time to learn about your press, especially if it is a progressive. Got excited when I set up my 650 and just tried to crank out rounds. I sat down and followed the dvd and took my time with everything. Now once I feel something not right, I figure it out quickly and am right back at hit.
                            https://holloway.pruvitnow.com/

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Whiterabbit
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 7599

                              Originally posted by shinbone
                              For me it was loading too big of a batch of untested light loads AND an OAL my gun didnt like.
                              Me too. I was wondering why they were shooting 8" groups at 50 yards.

                              I also neck sized range brass and tried to shoot it out of a precision AR-15. That's another mistake that never happened again.

                              Technically these are the only mistakes I've ever made reloading. Everything since has been learning how not to reload.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1