Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which Caliber for a First Time Reloader

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    XDRoX
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4420

    Originally posted by grant22
    I'm definitely not a real loader (yet). Thx for the hot tip boys......I will 86 Midway and try those other places.
    The only real way to save money reloading is to buy in bulk. Buying powder in bulk isn't the best idea since you may not like it. But you'll use the primers no matter what so you may as well buy a lot of those. You should probably start with 5k. Anything less than that isn't practical because of the hazmat fee.

    So I'd get 5k primers and a few different containers of 1lb powders to start off with. Jacketed is way easier to load than lead, but 38 loves lead. So I'd also start with some lead bullets.
    Chris
    <----Rimfire Addict


    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    Get a DILLON...

    Comment

    • #17
      Rotting
      Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 345

      Here's a great source for lead bullets: http://www.missouribullet.com use the promo code "THR-Original" for an extra 10% off.

      For 38 SPL, I like these: http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...ry=9&keywords=

      As for powder, I buy from Powder Valley as well. I like Vihtavuori N-320 for light 38 SPL loads. It's a little more expensive than other powders, but it burns clean and gives great results (this powder also works great for for 380 ACP!)

      Comment

      • #18
        mls204
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 836

        F Midway. I buy all my **** from Grafs. Are you going to be shooting indoors or outdoors? I can recommend Berry's plated for your 38. I shoot those and they're great.

        You might also want to consider sizing and crimping in separate stations. I had case gage problems with a few calibers before I moved to doing this. Also, buy a case gage. Don't get one for 38 and 357 like I did (stupid newbie impulse buy) just get the 357 one.

        Comment

        • #19
          grant22
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 625

          Here's where I'm at with this:

          I was buying Winchester .38 spl at Walmart for .37/rd

          Looking at Powder Valley, Berry's HP 125gr, CCI small pistol primers, and Unique powder come out to around .15/rd (this is after paying the $25 shipping/hazmat fee.

          I'm pretty happy with that considering each round will cost me less than half what I was previously paying.
          Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

          Comment

          • #20
            XDRoX
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 4420

            Originally posted by grant22
            For a beginner reloader what is a good all around powder? I was thinking Unique??? It needs to be 'new guy friendly.'

            Also, what size would last a while but isn't overkill? I see you can save by buying the 8lb, but I don't want to be wastefull......
            40 years ago there were 3 go to powders. It's still true to this day that pretty much any caliber can be loaded with one or a combination of these three powders. Also, these three powders are still among the most popular powders available for a good reason.

            2400
            Unique
            Bullseye

            Slow, medium, fast.

            Nothing wrong with Unique for a beginner. It's on the slower side, bulky, but a little dirty unless pushed hard. People have been loading 38spl with Unique since they stopped using black powder in them. A great all around well proven powder.

            For the most part powders only come in 2 sizes, 1lb and 8lb, sometimes in 4lb.
            A 1lb jug will contain 7000 grains of powder. Therefore if you're loading each 38spl round with 4gr of powder, a 1lb jug will load 1750 rounds.

            Unique is fine for medium to hot loads. 2400 is great for full size 357 magnum loads. I'd stay away from Bullseye for now. If you want to load mouse farts, try Trail Boss. Awesome powder. Uber bulky, and great for light loads. If you try to load mouse farts with Unique it's going to not fully burn and be filthy.

            Like Rotting, I really like Missouri bullet company. They make a great product. I buy all my lead bullets from them.

            If you buy jacketed bullets for 38spl you're going to have a hard time finding data and have to load them pretty hot. You don't want to get one lodged in the barrel. 38spl loves lead.

            Hope this helps.
            Chris
            <----Rimfire Addict


            Originally posted by Oceanbob
            Get a DILLON...

            Comment

            • #21
              Full Clip
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Dec 2006
              • 10266

              Originally posted by mls204
              I buy all my **** from Grafs.
              Same. Nice people, too.

              Comment

              • #22
                grant22
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 625

                Originally posted by XDRoX
                40 years ago there were 3 go to powders. It's still true to this day that pretty much any caliber can be loaded with one or a combination of these three powders. Also, these three powders are still among the most popular powders available for a good reason.

                2400
                Unique
                Bullseye

                Slow, medium, fast.

                Nothing wrong with Unique for a beginner. It's on the slower side, bulky, but a little dirty unless pushed hard. People have been loading 38spl with Unique since they stopped using black powder in them. A great all around well proven powder.

                For the most part powders only come in 2 sizes, 1lb and 8lb, sometimes in 4lb.
                A 1lb jug will contain 7000 grains of powder. Therefore if you're loading each 38spl round with 4gr of powder, a 1lb jug will load 1750 rounds.

                Unique is fine for medium to hot loads. 2400 is great for full size 357 magnum loads. I'd stay away from Bullseye for now. If you want to load mouse farts, try Trail Boss. Awesome powder. Uber bulky, and great for light loads. If you try to load mouse farts with Unique it's going to not fully burn and be filthy.

                Like Rotting, I really like Missouri bullet company. They make a great product. I buy all my lead bullets from them.

                If you buy jacketed bullets for 38spl you're going to have a hard time finding data and have to load them pretty hot. You don't want to get one lodged in the barrel. 38spl loves lead.

                Hope this helps.
                All has been very helpful. Thank you!

                You just taught me to stick with lead bullets for a .38. I'll do that.
                Last edited by grant22; 08-18-2011, 1:59 PM.
                Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

                Comment

                • #23
                  Cowboy T
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 5725

                  In any decent quality revolver, you're going to get very good results with cast lead bullets. For the last several years, I've shot nothing but my own cast "boolits" over a charge of either Bullseye (for mild loads) or 2400 (for wild loads). The gun loves 'em, and so does my wallet.

                  As for the concern about double-charging, well, we handloaders are paying attention to what we're doing, aren't we? That's why we don't double-charge. :-) But if that's really a concern...well, that's why Trail Boss was invented. That's probably the bulkiest, case-fillin' powder in existence now.

                  Tzvia mentioned Dillon dies. I agree, no flame wars here, so I'll also point out that Lee dies (which I use) work very well, too. As does pretty much every other brand.
                  "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                  F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                  http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                  http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                  http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                  ----------------------------------------------------
                  To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Whiterabbit
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 7595

                    ammoseek:
                    357: $0.32+ a round
                    380: $0.20+ a round
                    38: $0.20+ a round

                    I think you made the right decision.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      noylj
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 713

                      .45 Auto is the easiest and best to learn on. Short squat case that can be inspected easily. Low pressure so you have a built-in safety margin.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Baconator
                        Bacon makes it better
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 9547

                        I think I made the decision today, in light of getting my 2nd .45, to start reloading. I plan on learning with the .45. Not to thread-jack, but powder valley is not easy to navigate if you don't know what they heck you are doing. I don't know the difference in brands for any of the items I want to buy.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          grant22
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 625

                          I put together an order I haven't placed yet, but was hoping a few of you could tell me if I'm on the right track:

                          Powdervalley

                          Berry's .38 125gr flat point - $75/1000
                          CCI small pistol primers - $25/1000
                          Unique 1 lb - $15 (as xdrox stated, should do 1750rds @ 4gr)

                          S&H & Hazmat - $25

                          Total - $140 ($.14 per round)

                          I'm happy with the qty and price, if any of you think I'm headed down the wrong path on this order, please let me know (whether the brands suck or whatever).

                          Much appreciated!
                          Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            XDRoX
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4420

                            Since you're paying for hazmat anyway, if you can swing it, I'd get more powder and primers. You could try some Trail Boss. It's a really cool powder and perfect for beginners. You can only load light with it though. Unique will certainly work, but you may want to mess around with some other powders.

                            Are the Berry's bullets you listed there lead? If not, I doubt you will be able to find any data for loading them. It's nice when you first start loading to have exact or at least pretty close data to what your components are. I have never seen any published data for plated bullets for 38spl, if that's what those are.

                            And yes, their site is not easy to navigate. And you should see their catalog. I just got one in the mail today. There's not one picture in the whole thing. But they do have great prices when you figure shipping is included and they have great sales also.
                            Last edited by XDRoX; 08-20-2011, 3:05 PM.
                            Chris
                            <----Rimfire Addict


                            Originally posted by Oceanbob
                            Get a DILLON...

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ireload
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2589

                              You are on the right track with that combo. That's pretty close to what I load with the exception of primer. I use Winchester or Wolf. CCI also works fine. But like what Xd stated add more powder and primer since you are going to be paying for hazmat. Damn I remember when hazmat use to be $3 back in the days when I first started reloading.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                XDRoX
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 4420

                                Originally posted by ireload
                                You are on the right track with that combo. That's pretty close to what I load with the exception of primer. I use Winchester or Wolf. CCI also works fine. But like what Xd stated add more powder and primer since you are going to be paying for hazmat. Damn I remember when hazmat use to be $3 back in the days when I first started reloading.
                                Will he be able to find data for those bullets?
                                Chris
                                <----Rimfire Addict


                                Originally posted by Oceanbob
                                Get a DILLON...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1