Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

non-carbide die set

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rspar
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 882

    non-carbide die set

    Just bought a used/new looking rcbs non-carbide die set for 30 carbine on ebay. Was it a mistake to get non-carbide? Paid 27 bucks with shipping.
  • #2
    five.five-six
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 34927

    sounds like a good price to me, how much are you going to load? All it means is that you will have to lube and push the sizing die a little harder

    Comment

    • #3
      rspar
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 882

      Not that much probably 300 and year maybe. From what I've read you should lube a little with carbide anyway. I'm on the lookout for 38/357 dies now.

      Comment

      • #4
        five.five-six
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2006
        • 34927

        yea, you will be just fine. no sense spending the big bucks for that kind of volume

        Comment

        • #5
          Zeke003
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 187

          Yeah should be fine with only 300 a year.
          http://www.treas.gov/education/histo...-present.shtml
          July 11, 1955July 30, 1956October 1, 1957

          Comment

          • #6
            rspar
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 882

            Thx funny I didn't think a thing about it until I sent the paypal.

            Comment

            • #7
              FLIGHT762
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 3072

              For loading the .30 Carbine for an M-1 Carbine, I suggest buying a Wilson drop in case gauge and use it to gauge each reloaded round. If the loaded round doesn't drop easily into the gauge, recycle it.

              The M-1 Carbine has a nasty habit of firing out of battery with undersized reloads and be sure to seat the primers below flush.

              Comment

              • #8
                rspar
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 882

                Interesting I will definitely look for one I didn't know there was such a thing. Since there isn't a shoulder isn't this just measuring case length on the .30? It sounds like something I should use when reloading 30-06.
                Last edited by rspar; 08-11-2011, 4:19 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bohoki
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 20826

                  30 carbine pretty much needs lube carbide or not

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FLIGHT762
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 3072

                    Originally posted by rspar
                    Interesting I will definitely look for one I didn't know there was such a thing. Since there isn't a shoulder isn't this just measuring case length on the .30? It sounds like something I should use when reloading 30-06.
                    Looks like the Wilson gauge only measures case length, not headspace. I loaded for the .30 Carbine years ago. Just be sure to lube the cases well and be sure the F/L die is sizing all the way. Again, the primers being seated below flush is important.

                    A light taper crimp is recommended in a separate operation after bullet seating. Be sure to measure your cases after sizing and make sure none are longer than 1.290". The cartridge head spaces on the case mouth. I remember reading recently about either Magtech or PMC 30 Carbine brass being well over 1.290", so watch out for this.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      spencerhut
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 1264

                      Originally posted by bohoki
                      30 carbine pretty much needs lube carbide or not
                      I have never run them with lube on a progressive no less.
                      www.spencersfirearms.com
                      14402 Hwy 41, Madera 93636
                      Mon-Fri 10AM to 6PM
                      Sat 10AM to 5PM
                      559-822-4369
                      I am a US Marine, an active shooter, lifetime NRA, USPSA, ICORE & Calguns member and I own a gun store.
                      Living the Dream 24x7

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Southpaw45
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 2333

                        Not a mistake at all. Just spray your brass with some Hornady One Shot lube and your good to go.....
                        Cowboy Action Shooter
                        Midnight Black Powder Shooter
                        S.A.S.S #74217
                        Have Guns Will Travel
                        .45 Colt Enthusiast
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rspar
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 882

                          Thanks for the input. The headspace thing kind of threw me for a little bit. One little twist to a setup throws my noob confidence.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1