I loaded .308 with 40.4 of Varget under a 150 gr bullet based on the Hornady manual (don't own the book just snuck a look) the sierra manual says 41.4 is minimum. Why the descrepency?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
quick charge question
Collapse
X
-
quick charge question
A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko KloosTags: None -
Fifferent bullet profile has different bearing surface and it changes the chamber pressure. but 40.4 seems a bit light even for flat nose (30/30 bullets). are you sure you didn't read the wrong line? The minimum on Hodgdon.com is 44.0gr for 150 Nosler BT. The minimum doesn't necessarily mean you can't go below that tho. I don't see 40.4gr being a problem if it works for you in terms of accuracy, range and recoil.GCC
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why. -
It's possible I read the wrong line. I fired 5 rounds of the 40.4 charge with no issue. Thanks for the replyA mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko KloosComment
-
Yeah I had to have read it wrong. That's why you buy the book not cheat lolA mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko KloosComment
-
Use www.Hodgdon.com and go to their load data.Frank
One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAFComment
-
How is this not proper reloading tech?A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko KloosComment
-
It says here...
As you say, best to buy a loading manual (or 3).
In my Lee 2nd edition, for 308 Win, the start load of Varget with a 150gr bullet is 44gr for a velocity of 2773 fps. The max charge in this same book is 47.0gr (which is a compressed charge) for a velocity of 2937 fps and a CP of 59973 psi.
My Lee book says for your 150gr bullet and 40.0gr of Varget you should see something like 2570 fps with a CP of 42300 psi.
YMMV.When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."Comment
-
I snuck another peek at the Hornady manual and it said 40.4 gr Varget on their 150 gr FMJBT for 2500 FPS. I didn't misread it.A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko KloosComment
-
From what I am seeing with the Hornady 8th edition, they are very conservative. I then go to Hodgdon's site\etc and it's night and day....I'm loading .223 with a 75gr A Max with a starting load of 19.3gr of H4895...I'll work my way up
Support the NRA
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml
Stuff for Sale\trade:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=549308Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,484
Posts: 25,148,182
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 20722 users online. 49 members and 20673 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment