Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Guess maybe I should have started with an LA...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bill Steele
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 5028

    Guess maybe I should have started with an LA...

    A while back I got a deal on a tricked out bench gun. It has a SA Rem700 with one of those fancy 5R 1:10 barrels in a first gen AICS stock. Eventually I had planned to convert it to a 260Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor, but since everything is like new now, I thought I would shoot it some before converting.

    The other evening I started to take some measurements to determine where I need to seat the bullets to be at the lands. I am starting with some 168gr Amax's, which are pretty pointy.

    The first thing that jumped out at me is if I want the Amax's at the lands, I am not going to be able to use the trick detachable magazine that is part of the AICS system. It looks like I am about .120" past the max 308 cartridge length just to have the bullet at the lands, let alone into them by 10 or 20 mils.

    Anyway, back to the seating questions. How many of you seat your bullets at or into the lands? I figure I am looking at quite a jump if I am going to use the magazine and these Amax's, so knowing how many jump, versus seat into the lands (and how far in each case), will give me a place to start.

    I wll be loading BLC2, Varget and IMR4064 to try each and was thinking of starting some just at the lands and some loaded to the 308 Win 2.8" max that will work with the magazine (this will be about .115" jump if my math was right).

    Any guidence in this area would be greatly appreciated.
    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."
  • #2
    dominic
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 3038

    Take it to a gunsmith?

    Comment

    • #3
      huckberry668
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1502

      I always seat the bullet touching lands when I do load development. I tried .005" off the lands, .005" into the lands and .000" (just touching the lands) shoots best. most if not all factory barrels will have long leade that makes loaded rounds that touch lands too long for mags. no way around it except to rechamber or custom barrel.

      I used to load 1 round in the chamber and 1 round in the mag when i hunt. I don't do that anymore. I just develop the most accurate load at mag length. Hunting accuracy doesn't need to be extreme unless you're shooting long ranges (500 yards or beyond).

      When you rebarrel, make sure you send loaded dummy rounds so your smith can cut the chamber to fit.
      GCC
      NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
      Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

      Comment

      • #4
        FLIGHT762
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 3072

        Remingtons have a very long throat. You won't be able to get anywhere near the lands at magazine length. You should first shoot your 168 A Max'es at max magazine COL and see what kind of accuracy you're getting. I've seen a lot of factory PSS, LTR's shoot very accurately with that jump.

        If it shoots well, shoot it and don't worry about it. If it doesn't shoot, before re-barreling it, you could have a Smith take the barrel off, lop off a bit on the chamber and re-chamber it with a shorter throat.

        Comment

        • #5
          Bill Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 5028

          OK, thanks guys.

          Looks like I will start at 2.8" so the magazine will work and work on loads. I might try a few to single load to the lands just for giggles.

          If the longer seatings work a lot better, I will try some of the more expensive Berger and SMK's and see if I can get a bullet I will settle on before maybe taking it to a smith and having him cut things down so they will load to the lands and still fit in the magazine.

          I appreciate the feedback.
          When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

          Comment

          • #6
            killshot44
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 4072

            Bill, one thing I'd do is try the Berger "BT" bullets. This is the new(ish) designation for what they used to call LTB or Length Tolerant Bullet. They jump extremely well for me.

            Don't sweat the magazine issue, nearly all target shooters single load anyway. (most matches require it, FWIW)

            Comment

            • #7
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Originally posted by killshot44
              Bill, one thing I'd do is try the Berger "BT" bullets. This is the new(ish) designation for what they used touto call LTB or Length Tolerant Bullet. They jump extremely well for me.

              Don't sweat the magazine issue, nearly all target shooters single load anyway. (most matches require it, FWIW)
              Thanks a lot, I will give that Berger BT's a try.

              I started with the Amax's as they were pretty inexpensive for what they seem to do. I had planned to move up to the Berger and SMK ranks after I started to figure things out.

              What weights do you shoot at the longer ranges?

              I have a pretty fast twist barrel, so I was thinking I would give the heavies a try when I started to stretch thing out, after I get to know the gun some.
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #8
                Pthfndr
                In Memoriam
                • Oct 2005
                • 3691

                Originally posted by Bill Steele

                What weights do you shoot at the longer ranges?
                For long range - out to 1000 yards - you have 2 choices. 175gr bullets at 2650-2700 fps, or 155gr bullets at 2850-2900 fps. 168gr bullets typically don't have what it takes ballistically to make it all the way.
                Rob Thomas - Match Director NCPPRC Tactical Long Range Match

                Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bill Steele
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 5028

                  bill steele

                  Originally posted by Pthfndr
                  For long range - out to 1000 yards - you have 2 choices. 175gr bullets at 2650-2700 fps, or 155gr bullets at 2850-2900 fps. 168gr bullets typically don't have what it takes ballistically to make it all the way.
                  Thanks, I really appreciate it.

                  I was also thinking of trying some of those Lapua 170 lockbase jobs, any experience with those?
                  When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1