Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Powder suggestions for Noob's to reloading...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Super Spy
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 3461

    Powder suggestions for Noob's to reloading...

    I just un-boxed my pre-inherited RCBS Rock Chucker Pro Master Kit last night and I'm all excited to get started. I want some suggestions on some good powders to get started with.

    The calibers I'll be loading for initially will be .45 ACP, .45 Colt and 7.5 x 55 Swiss. Soon that will expand to include 12 Ga (As soon as I buy a MEC Sizemaster) 5.56 NATO, 8mm Mauser, 308, 357 and 9mm....My neighbor gave me a 3lb can of Winchester 296 and some primers. I have some doubts about how useful the Winchester 296 will be as it seems better suited for .44 Magnum and other hand cannons.

    I will primarily be loading for Cowboy Action Shooting, range trips, busting clays, and the occasional USPSA or IDPA match. Obviously the .45 Colt will be for Cowboy, and probably .45 ACP for Wild Bunch. The 7.5 x 55 Swiss will be for Wild Bunch as well as range blasting. I'm having very limited success finding any suitable loads listed for the 7.5 Swiss for Cowboy though it's been suggested that I can probably use something along the lines of 308, 30-06 or 303 British as a starting point. These will be very low performing loads probably around 1300 FPS so I have little concern about blowing up my gun, probably wouldn't even happen if I double charged it as the levels I'll be running. Obviously all the Cowboy loads will be lead bullets only.

    Powders I've considered include:
    Trail Boss
    Winchester 231
    Tight Group
    Universal Clays

    Powder Valley seems to have decent prices and a good variety to pick from. I have my C&R so get good deals from Graf's too. Gun Broker seems to offer some good deals on bullets. Any vendor suggestions?

    Thanks!
    Originally posted by Daytripper63
    "Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
  • #2
    bumpo628
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 1142

    For pistol powder:
    I like Winchester 231 for 45 ACP and 9mm. It is the same thing as Hodgdon HP38, which is always priced lower.
    WIN231-01 * WINCHESTER 231 - 1 LB. Yes $16.90
    WIN231-04 * WINCHESTER 231 - 4 LB. Yes $62.50
    WIN231-08 * WINCHESTER 231 - 8 LB. Yes $118.00
    HODHP38-01 * HODGDON HP38 - 1 LB. Yes $15.65
    HODHP38-08 * HODGDON HP38 - 8 LBS. Yes $110.50
    Prices are from powdervalleyinc.com

    For primers:
    PVI or Wideners
    Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!


    For lead bullets:


    For pistol FMJs
    The go-to choice for shooters, Precision Delta is a leading manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components. All of our products are proudly manufactured in Mississippi
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

    Comment

    • #3
      Chief-7700
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • 3382

      Winchester 231 and HP-38 are the same powder, just a different package.Works well with .45ACP it's smaller replacement the 9mm.

      XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
      IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
      NRA Certified RSO
      "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

      Comment

      • #4
        Fjold
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 23067

        Win 296 will work in the 357 magnum

        Check Hodgdon.com for load data
        Frank

        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

        Comment

        • #5
          Ukiahgunnut
          Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 160

          I have been using Win 231 for years to load pistol ammo, and I like it very much. Always fires and is easy to measure and load.

          Dave

          Comment

          • #6
            iareConfusE
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 4464

            Been using only Titegroup for 9mm and .45ACP. It works well in my 9mm, very clean and feels great, but it feels snappy in my .45ACP, and it doesn't seem to burn all the way either because the recipe calls for only a small amount of the powder in such a large case. It gets my 1911 really dirty and spits out a bunch of unburned powder flakes.

            Comment

            • #7
              checkenbach
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 1473

              I use TiteGroup for 9mm, .38, .357 and .45ACP, and it works great!!!
              I'm going to start using American Select for .38 and .357 lead loads though, due to it's cleaner burning and less smoke than TiteGroup.

              Comment

              • #8
                Chief-7700
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • 3382

                I like:
                Winchester 231
                Bullseye
                Titegroup
                Unique
                Don't care about the amount of smoke burning off the lube of 200 grain LSWC nor how dirty the gun gets. It's all about what the gun likes for the most accurate bullet powder combination. The guns get cleaned after each trip to the range or a match.
                Chief

                XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
                IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
                NRA Certified RSO
                "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  EmmaGoldman
                  Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 369

                  Trail Boss is THE stuff for .45 Colt cowboy loads.
                  Left, not "liberal", not what gets called "left" in American politics, Actually Left, like the government shouldn't be set up to favor certain groups, radically and fanatically left, like the ideas in the American Constitution (except that crap about 3/5ths of a person).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GUNNTZ
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 923

                    Some powders carry over for use in other rounds. So, if you are trying to minimize the types of powder on hand you might want to look at the load data for all your rounds, you'll most likely find common powders. Make a list of the acceptable powders and see if your book includes the burn rate of the powder in the index/back of book. Some rounds really like a slow or fast burn, depends. I've found H335, Win760 to be good for my loads in rifle and I'm using 700X and 800X in some of my pistol loads(these are big boy loads). Good luck and think safety all the time while reloading.

                    Your Load data for the swiss:

                    Hodgdon Powder Company
                    Cartridge Load Recipe Report - 9/29/2004
                    7.5 x 55mm Swiss
                    Load Type: Rifle
                    Comments: Hodgdon data 7.5 Swiss
                    Cartridge Information

                    Case: Norma Barrel Length: 31"
                    Twist: 1:10.6" Trim Length: 2.175"
                    Primer: WINCHESTER LR

                    7.5 x 55mm Swiss
                    Cartridge Load Data Starting Loads
                    _____
                    Maximum Loads
                    _____

                    Bullet Weight (Gr.) Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
                    Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
                    125 GR. SIE SP H4831 .308" 2.800" 49.0 2639 52.0 2811
                    125 GR. SIE SP H4350 .308" 2.800" 47.0 2565 51.0 2839
                    125 GR. SIE SP H414 .308" 2.800" 46.0 2652 48.0 2829
                    125 GR. SIE SP H380 .308" 2.800" 44.0 2661 46.0 2797
                    125 GR. SIE SP BL-C(2) .308" 2.800" 41.0 2614 43.0 2739

                    125 GR. SIE SP H335 .308" 2.800" 40.0 2587 42.0 2692
                    125 GR. SIE SP H4895 .308" 2.800" 41.0 2639 43.0 2762
                    150 GR. HDY SP H4831 .308" 2.790" 47.0 2493 51.0 2659
                    150 GR. HDY SP H4350 .308" 2.790" 45.0 2420 49.0 2610
                    150 GR. HDY SP H414 .308" 2.790" 44.0 2529 46.0 2689
                    150 GR. HDY SP H380 .308" 2.790" 42.0 2536 44.0 2661
                    150 GR. HDY SP BL-C(2) .308" 2.790" 40.0 2450 42.0 2559

                    150 GR. HDY SP H335 .308" 2.790" 40.0 2442 42.0 2541
                    150 GR. HDY SP H4895 .308" 2.790" 40.0 2484 42.0 2578
                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H4831 .308" 3.060" 45.0 2477 49.0 2578

                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H4350 .308" 3.060" 44.0 2379 48.0 2524

                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H414 .308" 3.060" 42.0 2429 44.0 2519

                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H380 .308" 3.060" 41.0 2414 43.0 2502

                    168 GR. SIE HPBT BL-C(2) .308" 3.060" 39.0 2363 41.0
                    2404
                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H335 .308" 3.060" 39.0 2354 41.0 2399

                    168 GR. SIE HPBT H4895 .308" 3.060" 39.0 2388 41.0 2432

                    180 GR. HDY SP H4831 .308" 2.900" 43.0 2304 47.0 2424
                    180 GR. HDY SP H4350 .308" 2.900" 42.0 2250 46.0 2566
                    180 GR. HDY SP H414 .308" 2.900" 40.0 2237 42.0 2355
                    180 GR. HDY SP H380 .308" 2.900" 38.0 2213 40.0 2323
                    180 GR. HDY SP BL-C(2) .308" 2.900" 37.0 2189 39.0 2284

                    180 GR. HDY SP H335 .308" 2.900" 37.0 2184 39.0 2263
                    180 GR. HDY SP H4895 .308" 2.900" 37.0 2201 39.0 2296

                    Other links:
                    Last edited by GUNNTZ; 03-23-2011, 9:44 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Super Spy
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 3461

                      Thanks for the words of advice. Anyone know any of the details regarding the difference between loading for a K-31 and a K-1911? I know the K-31 has a fully supported case head and the K-1911 doesn't. I also see reloading die sets specifically for the K-31. If I get the K-31 dies, I can use these for both the K-1911 and the K-31 right? I won't be running any hot loads in the K-1911....just the opposite, I'll be running Cowboy strength loads for Wild Bunch. I'd just prefer to have one set of dies and not worry about the brass much in terms of what I fired it out of. I guess it's about time to spend money stocking up on components

                      Any worries about seriously undercharging rifle loads? It looks like for the speed I want out of 150 gr lead projectile out of my K-1911 I need to be between 20 and 25 grains. It sounds like I need a chronograph, load up 5 ea going up 1 grain at a time and see what gets me in the 1300-1400 FPS range. It doesn't sound like a kaboom is a worry I will have plenty of pressure to not end up with one stuck in the barrel, what other concerns do I have? I may get leading but I clean after every range trip and I understand if I keep the velocity around 1300 even leading isn't much of an issue. I will use jacket projectiles for normal strength loads.
                      Originally posted by Daytripper63
                      "Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1